HS2 under review

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Well, there you have it. 

The Germans regard dominating the market as the principal goal, and we don’t. Who gets to tell the EU what to do, and runs the whole EU for their benefit? (Clue... not us...) 

If Germany has been pursuing a strategic goal of dominating our energy market then it doesn't say much for German strategic excellence, not doing much dominating and E.ON and RWE are hardly shining examples of success. On the EU, I'm sure the idea that the EU is run for the benefit of Germany will surprise many (not least in Germany where I hear almost as much whinging about the EU as I hear here, albeit usually slightly better informed whinging).

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

If Germany has been pursuing a strategic goal of dominating our energy market then it doesn't say much for German strategic excellence, not doing much dominating and E.ON and RWE are hardly shining examples of success. On the EU, I'm sure the idea that the EU is run for the benefit of Germany will surprise many (not least in Germany where I hear almost as much whinging about the EU as I hear here, albeit usually slightly better informed whinging).

If the EU was being run for the benefit of Germany then I think it's economy would be in better fettle.

As it is it is just about holding off a recession. If/When we leave the EU the drop in German exports to the UK will likely push it into recession.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49342012

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, runs as required said:

Edit

I forgot to say that the Wiki list (linked to above) of all accidents demonstrated that GPS would not be helpful if there was a defect in the train's mechanical systems - most obviously brake failure.

Nor where a blockage had just occurred within the speeding train's ability to brake sufficiently as I think happened on the ECML at Great Heck

What evidence can you provide proving the train was speeding at Great Heck because I dont remember that being announced in the report?

1 hour ago, royaloak said:

What evidence can you provide proving the train was speeding at Great Heck because I dont remember that being announced in the report?

So what you take from Superman’s “faster than a speeding bullet” is that there is a speed limit for bullets and that particular one was acting unlawfully...?

i get the impression some people are just looking for a fight!

Paul

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, melmerby said:

If the EU was being run for the benefit of Germany then I think it's economy would be in better fettle.

As it is it is just about holding off a recession. If/When we leave the EU the drop in German exports to the UK will likely push it into recession.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49342012

German economy has been in great shape until recent months,  trade surplus, gdp/head  130% of UK, the straitjacket and strangelhold of the Euro currency over competing economies,  it is the Mediterranean economies who are suffering chronic economic malaise ( waiting for the Italian / Greek  Bank crashes in the pipeline), and also who will plug  the Eu budget hole without the massive net contribution of billions   from the UK ?

Edited by Pandora
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

For an assessment of what the member states have paid into the EU, I suggest looking at the following;

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Who-pays-for-the-EU-and-how-much-does-it-cost-the-UK-Disentangling-fact-from-fiction-in-the-EU-Budget-Professor-Iain-Begg.pdf

This thread seems to be devolving into a Brexit/ political debate. Whatever problems we have with HS2 lie within our own government and industry management of the project.

I met with a friend yesterday who live on the edge of Birmingham, is largely unaffected by HS2 (too far from the planned route and travels by WCML trains very rarely). He asked my views on the subject as someone who has an interest in railways. He largely sees it as irrelevant to his lifestyle as do, I suspect, many others,

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

On the Brexity issue of "What have the Romans ever done for us?"; I have always been surprised that, unlike elsewhere in the EU, the big boards that go up around a new project never proclaim the amount contributed by EU funding (though it was always required by Millennium lottery funding)

In the (by and large Brexit voting) North East there has been a substantial proportion of economic and social project funding from the Brussels technocrats which Westminster politicians never would have awarded those who never vote for them!

dh

Edited by runs as required
grammer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
On 30/08/2019 at 06:26, david.hill64 said:

No: EU countries are required to use ETCS, which does the same thing.

And will do it much better thank goodness.  The US developed GPS based system  - which at one stage was intended for the WCML 'modernisation' - had a number of rather basic flaws.  

When our operating company (actually the Deputy GM and myself) had a presentation of it from a couple of its American 'salesmen' it quickly became obvious that it had not been very clearly thought out for UK application and they didn't even realise that the were two signal sections in Kilsby Tunnel without which headways would be somewhat shot to pieces due to uneven 'block section' distances.  Nor could they explain how it would work if a satellite link was 'lost' for any reason because a lost link wouldn't result in a train braking.  And those were just the starting point - it got absolutely loony when the nearest size equivalent they could offer for the electronics fit was that of an adult coffin.   No wonder, and thank goodness, that it never happened

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

While there is much interesting debate (not uniformed rants based on media articles or the nonsense spouted by certain politicians I hasten to add) over all things Brexit, we really don’t want to go there in this thread and risk it getting locked as a result!

Whats done is done - and given the entrenched viewpoints of most folk (not to mention the insults being chucked about rather than informed debate), I have come to the conclusion that the sooner it happens (regardless of whether a deal is done or not) the better. At least we will then be able to prove who was right and who was wrong thus bringing closure to all the arguing and bitterness that is profoundly worrying for society as a whole.

• Like 5
  • Agree 7

1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

While there is much interesting debate (not uniformed rants based on media articles or the nonsense spouted by certain politicians I hasten to add) over all things Brexit, we really don’t want to go there in this thread and risk it getting locked as a result!

Whats done is done - and given the entrenched viewpoints of most folk (not to mention the insults being chucked about rather than informed debate), I have come to the conclusion that the sooner it happens (regardless of whether a deal is done or not) the better. At least we will then be able to prove who was right and who was wrong thus bringing closure to all the arguing and bitterness that is profoundly worrying for society as a whole.

Plus, Phil, if we leave and it turns out to be a total catastrophe, I'm sure someone will stand at the General Election following on a ticket to apply to rejoin! Quite right sir, keep this thread to HS2.

John.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pandora said:

The HS2 review is being triggered by Brexit,  HS2 "Notice to Proceed" being kicked into the long grass while the Brexit / General Election situation is settlled once and forever

Personally I believe it is part o the "Dog Whistle" policy to divert attention away rom other things!

Mark Saunders

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, runs as required said:

So to return to the HST2 Review, assuming no deal Brexit, what decisions will have to be made if we are not able to retain EU compliances?

This is the most interesting aspect to me (as a fence sitter)

We will of course be able to choose to apply EU standards even if to do so is no longer a legal requirement. Indeed may railways across the world choose to do so as the EU standards form an integrated set that are generally rather good.

If we leave the EU, then many of the Technical Standards for Interoperability (TSI's) that contain opt-outs for the UK (eg gauging) will probably be re-written, but we could retain the relevant parts as national standards.

For signalling, ETCS offers benefits over other systems such as the US Positive Train Control or Chinese CTCS standards. It would not make much sense for Network Rail to diverge.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I am aware this is being reported in the Sun,  ( the popularity of such as a marker for our under-education system), but also the Times,  Parliament is anticipating an announcement confirming the rumoured 3 years of  delay of completion and a further £24 bn for the budget for HS2 .

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/hs2-facing-three-year-delay-as-its-budget-spirals-to-80-billion-dvlmm3zb9

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/transport-secretary-grant-shapps-to-come-clean-on-soaring-costs-of-hs2-gknqwstbt

Edited by Pandora

13 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Once again Britain becomes the land of Luddites and steps back from progress.

Once a leader of technology now not even following close.

Yes, it's tragic; why are you misrepresenting Luddites again?