HS2 under review

28 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Inevitably it will cost more if construction takes longer or is delayed for whatever reason.  Building it more quickly would be cheaper and de-speccing (ideally the maxiumum speed) could also reduce the cost as could doing away with soem of the tunnelling and staying above ground.

And let us not forget, independently of this announcement HS2 is still under review overall as a project. I know what uncontrollably over budget and massively delayed compared to original estimates says to me. Cut your losses. Soonest done, the greater the saving.

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

And let us not forget, independently of this announcement HS2 is still under review overall as a project. I know what uncontrollably over budget and massively delayed compared to original estimates says to me. Cut your losses. Soonest done, the greater the saving.

And then what?

Start again?

Accept that we will never have the capacity we require on the rail network?

• Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

Now we have the prospect of having to have new rolling stock to use on the traditional network to replace the Pendos at great expense rather than for HS2.

Also the constant pounding on the WCML will mean that will need to have a lot of money spent on it just to maintain present levels and it will still be overcrowded with a lack of required train paths.

What a shambles.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Luddite: "a person opposed to new technology or ways of working"

Where's the misrepresentation?

It's a massively overbudget and delayed public railway project. Nothing remotely new fangled in that.

• Like 1

• Administrators

It's a massively overbudget and delayed public railway project. Nothing remotely new fangled in that.

Fixed it for you. To be fair, most public projects would work better and be cheaper if the politicians were kept out of them. Changing your mind like the wind is not a recipe for keeping costs down.  

• Agree 12

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I know what uncontrollably over budget and massively delayed compared to original estimates says to me. Cut your losses. Soonest done, the greater the saving.

I would suggest that's exactly that's what the shorthold tenants of the Palace of Westminster want many people to think - to give the illusion of prudence in saving money they haven't got/borrowed yet, or have promised to others.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Fixed it for you. To be fair, most public projects would work better and be cheaper if the politicians were kept out of them. Changing your mind like the wind is not a recipe for keeping costs down.  

"HS2 is the new railway that will be the backbone of Britain’s transport network."

https://www.hs2.org.uk/why/about-us/

"High Speed Two (HS2) is the new high speed railway we are building that will be the backbone of the national rail network."

https://www.hs2.org.uk/timeline-1/

HS2 thinks it's a railway project.

I agree. As a taxpayer it now qualifies as the moneypit to end all moneypits. Politics is the art of the possible.

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

And then what?

Start again?

Accept that we will never have the capacity we require on the rail network?

It might come to that. Perhaps the idea that 'we' shouldn't go travelling so much will catch on?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

"HS2 is the new railway that will be the backbone of Britain’s transport network."

https://www.hs2.org.uk/why/about-us/

"High Speed Two (HS2) is the new high speed railway we are building that will be the backbone of the national rail network."

https://www.hs2.org.uk/timeline-1/

HS2 thinks it's a railway project.

That doesn't stop it from being a public and hence politically mangled project..

• Agree 6

14 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Perhaps the idea that 'we' shouldn't go travelling so much will catch on?

And perhaps if a portion of the HS2 budget was spent on installing fibre broadband to the whole country then people could video-conference / skpye / or whatever more than can now and then they wouldn't need to travel.

Oh and in doing so that would benefit the whole of the UK rather than those who just want to go to Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham or London.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, guzzler17 said:

And perhaps if a portion of the HS2 budget was spent on installing fibre broadband to the whole country then people could video-conference / skpye / or whatever more than can now and then they wouldn't need to travel.

Oh and in doing so that would benefit the whole of the UK rather than those who just want to go to Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham or London.

Except experience has shown the travel, and the face to face encounters that result, tend to be far more productive in many cases than any number video conferencing sessions.

• Agree 7

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, guzzler17 said:

You may want to read back in the thread to understand why it benefits far more than those limited destinations. Also, why it's not all about speed. 

And no amount of video conferencing will take a single lorry off the roads. Extra capacity on the railway just might. But as I say, dig back a few pages for people who work in these areas explanations. 

• Agree 6

11 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Except experience has shown the travel, and the face to face encounters that result, tend to be far more productive in many cases than any number video conferencing sessions.

Well indeed there probably is an irreducible minimum of travel for optimum results. But as long ago as the 1980s in an engineering development context we took 80% out of the travel budget, and improved productivity in terms of on time completion of project stages by about 20%. Most of this achieved by use of video conferencing suites. This didn't come cheap, the vc facility ate roughly half of the travel savings in the first year, 20% thereafter. And that was pretty clunky 'had to go to the vc suite at the booked time' interaction. Now you can do it 'anywhere' for relatively little incremental investment.

2 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

... no amount of video conferencing will take a single lorry off the roads. Extra capacity on the railway just might...

But this is the age of disruptive technology. In ten years time options such auto drive truck trains on motorways, drones, airships, could be realities; and the operators of those modes will be looking over their shoulders at zumpernadling.

• Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

But this is the age of disruptive technology. In ten years time options such auto drive truck trains on motorways, drones, airships, could be realities; and the operators of those modes will be looking over their shoulders at zumpernadling. 

On that basis, we should have no new infrastructure ever - because there might always be a new "thing" that will make it obsolete.  People have been predicting Maglevs and monorails for decades and we still seem very low on them. If you look at any Gerry Anderson TV programme or an old Tomorrows World, the 21st Century is a lot less advanced than anyone ever predicted. 

We will still need to move things from one place to another. People will still want to travel because they always have. The ever increasing use of roads and railways proves that. I can no more predict the future than you can except that it will be full of people saying "Why didn't we do this back then..." about some project or other that would, at the time of saying, have provided benefits. 

• Agree 8

• Administrators
Just now, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I would favour the infrastructure investment going elsewhere is all.

And someone else would prefer the money going somewhere different to you. If we wait until everyone is happy we get no infrastructure.

If you mean "upgrade existing lines" then read back on this thread to understand the logic behind HS2 from people who know what they or talking about because they do stuff professionally. Don't listen to idiot politicians or newspapers. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, guzzler17 said:

It's one heck of a job to go to Cumbria (numerous other destinations are available) for short holiday on a video 'phone.  

And as for business my son spends a lot of his time on Skype talking to work colleagues all over Europe and beyond but he still had to go, in full bodily form, to Madrid for most of last week to deal with matters that numerous emails and Skype conversations simply couldn't handle.   No different really back in the days when I was full time working in the railway industry - it was hellish difficult to have discussions about timetable details involving three BR Regions, and even more so when it was three countries even by 'phone or email and a lot quicker to get together to do it and settle any conflicts (between trains) in person which meant that at least two parties to the conversation had to travel to get to the meeting.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

That's your strawman.

I would favour the infrastructure investment going elsewhere is all.

Yes, but ...  surely the investment ought to be going where it is most needed?  So having said that which do you want - faster trains across the Pennines, or the southern end of the WCML turning away business and falling apart more rapidly, or a new local hospital?  That is teh sort of choice which faces those holding national purse strings when it comes to investment and it will inevitably be decided in the end by politicians.

Too late in my life I have become a convert to the notion of "way leaves" - corridors down which we realise movement has always been likely to occur over the centuries .

I first had it demonstrated to me 20 odd years ago by Regional Planners when riding from Florence past Chiusi and Orvieto to Rome.

But one of the best UK places to witness it is at Hillmorton Locks, Rugby, looking past the medieval church at the passing WCML freight and passenger trains; the M1/M6 is over the hill, DIRFT just around the corner.

it seems sensible to consolidate capacity (and inter connectibility) of such corridors to accommodate evolving transportation modes and strategic networks, rather than strike out across hostile terrains.

dh 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

On that basis, we should have no new infrastructure ever - because there might always be a new "thing" that will make it obsolete.  People have been predicting Maglevs and monorails for decades and we still seem very low on them. If you look at any Gerry Anderson TV programme or an old Tomorrows World, the 21st Century is a lot less advanced than anyone ever predicted.

Yes, still commuting on a diesel bus when Arthur C. Clarke said we'd be living on Mars by now. Where's my jetpack?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1