If you are after something in particular post your wanted ad here.

Wanted - Coal!

Guest WM183

Yep.

I need a chunk of coal or two. I have no idea where to go get a lump of coal around here. If anyone's got some (whole or crunched or whatever, i need to load some wagons and the bunkers of a couple tank locos) let me know!

Thanks much,

Amanda (The Coal-less) 

3 minutes ago, Tony Cane said:

Peco sell crushed real coal, about £6.00 a bag.

And you can buy a 20kg bag from coal merchants for £7 or £8 at most. 

A lot of garages sell 10kg bags as do the likes of Home Bargains.

Even a preserved railway would likely let you take a lump for a donation.

Edited by great central
Add last paragraph

• RMweb Premium
Just now, great central said:

And you can buy a 20kg bag from coal merchants for £7 or £8 at most. 

A lot of garages sell 10kg bags as do the likes of Home Bargains.

have you noticed the address ... The Netherlands?

I’ve found that if you’re around a steam railway and ask nicely they will let you have a cob or two for nothing. I’ve got a mix from the NYMR, the RHDR, R&ER, and FR. No particular reason beyond that that is when I remembered to ask :)

and you should ALWAYS ask, it’s not yours until they let you have it. Apart from anything else, it’s not always safe to get the coal from the locations where it is stored, and it’s definitely not safe to take it from an engine without someone who knows what they are doing around

Edited by Edge

1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

"Rotterdam is the heart of the coal transhipment sector in Europe".

https://www.portofrotterdam.com/en/doing-business/logistics/cargo/dry-bulk/coal-import-export-and-transhipment

Unfortunately I live about 3 hours from Rotterdam by rail, and haven't got a car; hence my asking on here! If Peco sells it, that works for me.

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

https://www.dekolenboer.nl/ 

Just wader down to the nearest coal merchants and beg a small shovel full of the coal waste lying on the ground...

De Koelenboer! This works, seems 5 euros gets me like 10kg... or 9kg more than I will ever use!

Thanks!

err... if i buy 1000 kg, it seems. Welp. I will look around.

Edited by WM183

• Administrators

I bought a sack of the stuff from a stand in the car park of the local model engineering show. Cost about a tenner for several lifetimes supply. I did bag a bit and sell it on eBay a few times to cover the cost, but postage isn't cheap. 

I'd suggest checking model engineering suppliers. They have lovely soft steam coal that breaks easily when crushed with pliers.

For free coal, wander along your nearest disused railway and look for chunks either side of the trackbed. For a more plentiful source, identify the location of the goods yard at a disused station and there should be some lying around.

Graham 

• RMweb Gold

I don't know what the ins & outs of posting small coal to the Netherlands. Any ideas? Being in Wales, it's still pretty well available for free, if you know where to look.

If you do find out, PM me, and I'll get some in the post. Just as long I don't get an order for 20 tons....

Cheers,

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry
context clean -up
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, friscopete said:

I found my lumps by The North Norfolk Railway when I had a photographers pass.It is Welsh Steam coal I gather which of course makes any electric engine run better.

Very true, but for gawd's sake, don't put it on upside down.....

• Like 2

Thanks folks. I just went the lazy route and ordered some of the Peco stuff online. Next time I'm out by the heritage railway near here, I'll ask if I can get a few nice lumps.

Thanks much all!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

You could try 

https://www.noch.de/de/profi-gestein-kohle.html

most Dutch model shops carry a good range of Noch scenic materials and you can order directly.  Depends also where you are located as there are a number of preserved railways in the Netherlands and I have always found folks there to be really helpful and friendly and would be a Good excuse for a day out.

if you not sure what’s in your neighbourhood let me know the town and I happy to take a look.  Myself I don’t use crushed coal as it sometimes does not look that good in my opinion.

stephen (also Located in The Netherlands)

• RMweb Premium
On 21/08/2019 at 14:21, Stubby47 said:

I went to our local coal merchant and asked if I could have some coal. 

Yes of course, how much?

Just one lump.

He almost choked on his drink :), but I got the lump for free :)

You have a local coal merchant?:scratchhead:

I ain't seen one for years.