FREIGHTLINER - TRENTHAM DISTRIBUTION

Crisis Rail

Fictitious Freightliner Operations in the factual Potteries area of Trentham next to Stoke City FC's  BET 365 (Brittania Stadium) on Sir Stanley Matthews Way. Using the "faithfully reproduced dozens of times"  id Backscene as a "base" and viewpoint  - the backscene will be interchangable between the two if required both 5 ft in length.

I started a similar attempt which was quite promising with the full intention to return at a later date and looking back March 2010 is a full 9 years ago :blink:

Peco now have the range of Bullhead Points and Code 75 which have advanced aesthetics unlike the authors modelling :crazy:

post-7252-126979187076_thumb.jpg.980167cc173dc350822511cc0569f510.jpg

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

43 minutes ago, Duple said:

Looking forward to this, I work near Trentham and always thought it would be an ideal place for a container base!

If you need any on the ground photos, just ask! 

Thanks!  Can you tell me if there is any Freight flows on the line to Stone behind the line looks like OHLE. 

Ian. 

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Interesting idea, I’ve spent many a night ( here ) due to taking junior to gymnastic competitions at Fenton manor.

Will watch with interest.

FD421544-5DA4-4E82-AED8-A3460B5EBC1F.jpeg

I cannot remember how I found out the id backscene was the Trentham area. 9 years since the initial trial has clouded somewhat. 

Ian. 

Edited by Crisis Rail

1 hour ago, Crisis Rail said:

Thanks!  Can you tell me if there is any Freight flows on the line to Stone behind the line looks like OHLE. 

Ian. 

You can have all sorts of wagon workings as Marcroft  wagon works or whatever it’s called nowadays is very close by at Sideway. Not sure again about workings nowadays but you had the working from Bescot to Longport and there’s the China clay working to Cliffe  Vale. That uses the line. 

Thanks Steve. 

Edited by sf315
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

As a lifetime Stoke supporter can I suggest after last night dismal display that your layout obliterates the BET 365 stadium completely and puts me out of any future misery.

I cant believe I wasted a complete modelling evening watching last nights match.

Eltel 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

36 minutes ago, ELTEL said:

As a lifetime Stoke supporter can I suggest after last night dismal display that your layout obliterates the BET 365 stadium completely and puts me out of any future misery.

I cant believe I wasted a complete modelling evening watching last nights match.

Eltel 

Perhaps you should watch the Vale or Stafford rangers then Terry. 

Steve. 

• Funny 1

45 minutes ago, ELTEL said:

Eltel 

Still got a manager this morning?

Butland had a mare.

You made us look good.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

We need to drop Butland & Allen and a few more and give some of the  new players Jones’s has bought  a chance.

Never been convinced with the diamond system, don’t think the players are quick enough or disciplined enough to make it work.

As you can guess I’m a little bit disheartened, but not enough to follow Stafford Rangers or Port Vale 

Terry 

41 minutes ago, ELTEL said:

We need to drop Butland & Allen and a few more and give some of the  new players Jones’s has bought  a chance.

Never been convinced with the diamond system, don’t think the players are quick enough or disciplined enough to make it work.

As you can guess I’m a little bit disheartened, but not enough to follow Stafford Rangers or Port Vale 

Terry 

Cheer up Terry - it's Leeds on Saturday.

• Funny 1

Thanks for the info.

Layout isn't going to be a Terminal as such on the scale of Mr Gurney's Holland Park any comparison as such is way off my skill base time and efforts - more of a Distribution Terminal "entrance" reception sidings with hidden headshunts and stabling. The id Backscene sits very well from my last experiment a while back and although well used by others a better quality version. I like the idea of a Tamper or two making an appearance.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail

id backscenes are the excellent polypropylene peel adhesive versions. Difficult to lay and get perfectly straight as they are very unforgiving. Many a disaster occurred through inadvertant curling and placement in the past but fortunately not this time. 

F6B2E4B0-2FFC-4454-8122-086B7A168154.jpeg.6995b45c279831baac2cd43cc450d16c.jpeg

I trimmed and laid both to see which would suit the best opting for the closer image warehouse version with the remaining one as a spare or for a future small micro I have in mind.

Ian. 

Edited by Crisis Rail

On 22/08/2019 at 09:44, sf315 said:

You can have all sorts of wagon workings as Marcroft  wagon works or whatever it’s called nowadays is very close by at Sideway. Not sure again about workings nowadays but you had the working from Bescot to Longport and there’s the China clay working to Cliffe  Vale. That uses the line. 

Thanks Steve. 

Many years ago, we used to have a flat at the western edge of Penkull, which overlooked the area you're modelling. Even at that time (late 1970s/early'80s) there wasn't a huge amount of freight, as most went on the Crewe- Derby axis via Stoke station. The freights I remember were the Clayliner ( still wooden-bodied opens then)  the LPG train from Fawley to Longport, and coal trains to Meaford power station.  However, when there were problems on the WCML, there would be diverted Freightliners, air-braked freights and passenger train 'drags'.

The most startling feature of the railway scene was when Marcroft were purging tanks, prior to welding: nitrogen was pumped in to displace the gas or vapour from the tank. The gas was then flared off, with the resultant flame sometimes reaching spectacular heights.

• Like 1