Wartime black N15's

Jack P

Hello again, collective Southern mind

I am after information around N15's and which ones were still black in 1947 - i'm ideally looking for 6 wheel central section ones, but for the usefulness of the topic if anyone is able to advise of other class members and their repainting dates.

As always; Alternatively if anyone is able to point me in the right direction for finding this myself that would excellent. I have vague memories of having found this information before, but can't find anything now!

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Jack P said:

Hello again, collective Southern mind

I am after information around N15's and which ones were still black in 1947 - i'm ideally looking for 6 wheel central section ones, but for the usefulness of the topic if anyone is able to advise of other class members and their repainting dates.

As always; Alternatively if anyone is able to point me in the right direction for finding this myself that would excellent. I have vague memories of having found this information before, but can't find anything now!

Thanks!

Any pedant would tell you that the 6-wheel tendered ones were FORMER Central Section locos by that time - all on the Eastern Section. Peter Swift's King Arthur book also gives paint dates - and don't forget 800 was among a handful of locos that ended up as black with green driving wheels !

16 hours ago, Tony Cane said:

"LSWR locomotives the Urie Classes" by D Bradley has full details. Nine remained black till nationalisation , 448/52/4, 764/84, 803/5.

Thank you for that, I had though I had some LSWR books, turns out not the ones I want! I think 805 should fit the bill

16 hours ago, Tony Cane said:

Many were not repainted in malachite until late in 1947.

This seems to have been the case for a fair few engines. Very frustrating for me, as I model late 1947, they all seem to fall inside that window!

10 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

Any pedant would tell you that the 6-wheel tendered ones were FORMER Central Section locos by that time - all on the Eastern Section. Peter Swift's King Arthur book also gives paint dates - and don't forget 800 was among a handful of locos that ended up as black with green driving wheels !

Ah - Well now I can be a pedant about it too! If you don't mind me asking, what relocated the N15's by then, was it the Schools? I can't think of a way to model a black loco with green driving wheels convincingly without it looking like I've half finished the job!

8 hours ago, Jack P said:

Ah - Well now I can be a pedant about it too! If you don't mind me asking, what relocated the N15's by then, was it the Schools? I can't think of a way to model a black loco with green driving wheels convincingly without it looking like I've half finished the job!

Electrification.

• Like 1