Triang Trestrol EC

jonhall

I aquired another 3 trestrols at the weekend, and set ton work chopping them up - alas two were Battlespace, so they weren't really suitable.

Suddenly feeling enthused, I then drew up the trestle and laser cut a few in 0.8mm Rowmark (a material I hate).

Having made the basic shape in Rowmark I superglued a flange around the outside from 10x100thou evergreen strip, and then fitted them to the wagon, and filled the gaps in the frame with 10x80

I think the all-battlespace one might become another cyclops, and the spare bogies probably concrete-beam sets.

trestrol003.jpg.cc22f55eb85f64dfef8e8ad266addf00.jpgtrestrol002.jpg.57ea1b1a9b40682e7eee46ec9bc63e88.jpgtrestrol004.jpg.84ab4996be012cbec03704453632e45a.jpgtrestrol005.jpg.47522022211385a41712a2e35060fc5d.jpgtrestrol007.jpg.7d6308eec2c1bedc970d6ad53d61ac7b.jpgtrestrol006.jpg.4c6131343b7fc485466d30ef4b102521.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

I have 3 Trestrol that I bought some time back and changed all the wheels to modern standards. I also started to make up the trestles from plastic angle. Sadly that project went to oneside and never got finished. Perhaps I will start again after seeing this post.

19 hours ago, cctransuk said:

.... or you could use them to cut and shut the bogies to the correct length.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Am sure I have a few of these wagons stashed away somewhere!

Anyone aware of a magazine article, a thread on a forum or a blog posting about what changes are needed to produce a more accurate model?  From your post obviously the bogies need alteration and from the original post I can see that the wagon needs to be lengthened as well.  

20 minutes ago, 26power said:

Anyone aware of a magazine article, a thread on a forum or a blog posting about what changes are needed to produce a more accurate model?  From your post obviously the bogies need alteration and from the original post I can see that the wagon needs to be lengthened as well.  

IMG_4647 small.JPG

IMG_4651 small.JPG

IMG_4652 small.JPG

IMG_4654 small.JPG

IMG_4655 small.JPG

DIAGRAM 4mm.JPG

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Any chance of a scan - here or via PM - please?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Info would be appreciated here as well. I have done the same as John. Now need to make the trestle, a rather longer job I think.

• Like 1

I have a bunch of these in the pile of future projects, I don’t suppose you’d consider laser cutting more trestle parts if you could cover your costs?

I thought there was an article in the late 90’s/early 00’s which told you exactly where to cut the two to get the correct length. Might’ve been in a magazine called “Model Railway Enthusiast” ?

There was definitely an article on concrete beam sets more recently too.

• RMweb Gold
On 24/08/2019 at 18:57, cctransuk said:

.... or you could use them to cut and shut the bogies to the correct length.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Just picked up on this one.

The frames don't need cutting and shutting as they are to the correct dimension, it's the wheelbase that Triang fudged to get the wagon round train set curves.

My jury is still out whether it's worth the effort to sort out, given that the correct replacement axleboxes aren't, to the best of my knowledge, available.

Mike.

8 hours ago, Norm81 said:

I have a bunch of these in the pile of future projects, I don’t suppose you’d consider laser cutting more trestle parts if you could cover your costs?

It wouldn't be impossible, but they aren't as sophisticated as all that - they are a bit 2 dimensional, but I do still have access to the laser cutter, so it could be done if you really wanted them.

Jon 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Just picked up on this one.

The frames don't need cutting and shutting as they are to the correct dimension, it's the wheelbase that Triang fudged to get the wagon round train set curves.

My jury is still out whether it's worth the effort to sort out, given that the correct replacement axleboxes aren't, to the best of my knowledge, available.

Mike.

I did the bogie cut-and-shut on mine - but I can't remember why now. (Probably my OCD) !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 1 year later...