Rothley Station 1950s / 60s

farren

• RMweb Gold

Why Rothley? i live 15 minutes away by bike plus Bachmann have done such a nice model it would be rude not to.  The total layout is 18'x12' with the boards 2' wide so a 14'x8' hole in the middle. rothley will be down one side with a fiddle yard at one end and just two running lines at the other side and end these will become  a second layout in the future either a industrial or a LMS branch. 

Rothley has been ordered and should be here in the next few days alone with most of the track which is peco code 75. track plans will be put up later. the layout will be DCC points will be motor controlled but which i don't know yet suggestions welcome. 

able to go to Rothley  for referencing when and if needed but has the track and signaling has changes, which dose make somethings interesting. if anyone knows of a signal diagrams and any photos of the signals would a help to.  looking on the net does not seem to show any thing. so i think books are going to be the way to go. 

from the maps below i have bought most the track except the crossing in the 3rd pic down has im unsure if it would be a double slip or a single slip. i would have thought it was a single.  

photos from   http://www.railwayarchive.org.uk 

gcr1.jpg

gcr2.jpg

gcr3.jpg

gcr4.jpg

Edited by farren
Spelling. It's always spelling why else
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, farren said:

Why Rothley? i live 15 minutes away by bike plus Bachmann have done such a nice model it would be rude not to.  The total layout is 18'x12' with the boards 2' wide so a 14'x8' hole in the middle. rothley will be down one side with a fiddle yard at one end and just two running lines at the other side and end these will become  a second layout in the future either a industrial or a LMS branch. 

Rothley has been ordered and should be here in the next few days alone with most of the track which is peco code 75. track plans will be put up later. the layout will be DCC points will be motor controlled but which i don't know yet suggestions welcome. 

able to go to Rothley  for referencing when and if needed but has the track and signaling has changes, which dose make somethings interesting. if anyone knows of a signal diagrams and any photos of the signals would a help to.  looking on the net does not seem to show any thing. so i think books are going to be the way to go. 

photos to come   

The signalling diagram is available on Signalling Record Society. That and a look at old-maps.co.uk should give you all you need (with the usual caveat of OS maps not always being fully up-to-date/fully revised at the time of publication.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

The signalling diagram is available on Signalling Record Society. That and a look at old-maps.co.uk should give you all you need (with the usual caveat of OS maps not always being fully up-to-date/fully revised at the time of publication.

Or the National Library of Scotland maps (25 inch to the Mile) give quite a lot of detail.

• RMweb Gold

Well still waiting for a couple of points. But a rough idea off how the layout will look. Tables need resetting has a couple were moved then some track will be layed and tested.  Anyone know if anywere has any Bachmann straight platforms?

20190827_130605.jpg

20190827_202441-1-1.jpg

20190827_202526.jpg

Edited by farren
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thank you both for your help i manage to look on the national library of Scotland  and pretty much backs up the map I'm using and have posted. The signal site shows a slightly different track formation but on the whole will come in handy. 

I have been looking on eBay for some books on the GCR however theirs lots on it has a preserved railway not many for it as was.  So will need to go looking elsewhere. Photos of the signal box and goods yard are needed. 

On the plus side the lasts points are here and have ordered some Colbalt PI point motors not cheap but should make fitting them easier. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well I had got this far with some wiring done and with 3 point motors working. But now none are working and the controler dosent seem to want to reprogram them so I don't know if I've damaged the motors or the controllers gone wrong. 

HoweverI'll I've just brought a few Rothley  photos from eBay and are track rearrangement is needed. The left ended platform point will be moved slightly towards the viewer of the photo and turned slightly to the right. This will let the main lines leave move to the centre of the platform. And be more urthantic. One photo just bougjt will show what I mean better then I can describe. 

20190912_115821.jpg

20190912_115801.jpg

Screenshot_2019-09-02-23-06-59-1.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have move the track around abit to improve the over feel of the layout. I'm know starting the wiring. The double slips with colbalt point motors are going to be a learning curve. 

And I know the goods shed is wrong but it will be right when I build one honest. 

20190914_165228.jpg

20190914_165234.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You are correct but I thought it might give more play effect. There should be two single slips and one double by itself, foreground second photo. And the receipt would imply I did order correctly. And with the cost of double/ single slips I don't really want to just leave it in a box unused.  Though I suppose it may be better to switch the single and double slips around. Before I fit point motors. 

And yes I did ask the supplier about sending it back for a single slip.

Edited by farren
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/08/2019 at 08:47, farren said:

Thank you both for your help i manage to look on the national library of Scotland  and pretty much backs up the map I'm using and have posted. The signal site shows a slightly different track formation but on the whole will come in handy. 

I have been looking on eBay for some books on the GCR however theirs lots on it has a preserved railway not many for it as was.  So will need to go looking elsewhere. Photos of the signal box and goods yard are needed. 

On the plus side the lasts points are here and have ordered some Colbalt PI point motors not cheap but should make fitting them easier. 

I know I'm a bit late to this (don't know how as the GCR is 10 minutes down the road from me). As I live quite close I have always had a fascination with the railway so have amounted a few books. I saw this and had a look through and found a few photos of Rothley. I don't know if they would be any use but I have attached them below just in case.

Scan_0001.jpg

Scan_0002.jpg

Scan_0003.jpg

Scan_0004.jpg

Scan_0005.jpg

Scan_0006.jpg

Scan_0007.jpg

• Like 1

No problem. Glad I could help and can't wait to see the finished thing. It may also be worth checking out the museum at Loughborough. They have quite a good selection of photos there of the whole line.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Finally getting somewhere track layed past the road bridge round the end and coming down the back ready for running sidings. Not to mantion  points and single slip on the mainlines now working. Frist ground singnal also working though the the point motors. 

20191020_175026.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work so far, I did model the Leicester station, but dismantled it and have a smaller station and yard in my garden room, I found the loft too restrictive to access and work in now(getting too old to bend lol). It helps when the station you are modelling is still in working order, my one has sadly been dismantled, making it difficult when only working from 2 photographs to get the detail right.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tigerburnie thank you, more work is going on behind the scenes. The last four tables are about finished and should be in place by the end off the week. Which will allow trains to run for the frist time.

Each table is 4'×2' and so the layout can be taken off its legs and taken out off the loft if needed in the future. 

Please feel free to add some photos off your layout. I'm always interested in anyone's hard work. 

• Like 1

Hi farren, if you click on the link at the bottom of my post it takes you to my current layout, I will try and find the Leicester one, I don't think there are many photos left on it now though. I used to live close to the GC near Whetstone station and travelled through Rothley on the train from Leicester to Nottingham a few times on steam trains in the later days of the mainline before it closed, never actually travelling to or from Rothley though. I note you have a lot of diesel locos on your track, I don't recall seeing any of those in the 1950's lol, I might need a couple for my East Coast Mainline running's though.

• RMweb Gold

I have 11 diesals with a dc kits 105 on its way. But if you think that's bad I have about 50 EX-LMS loco's from things like MR 0-4-0 st 0f Deely 0-4-0t to 4 Princess Coronations. But I do have a A3 now!

I was looking for a station to build and than I saw that the friendly Mr Bachmann made the Rothley station. So new loco's will be bought has and when. Has for the stock I do have i don't know what will happen. The opposite side off the loft there will be a second layout.  Has for what it will be I  don't know has i need to work out what it wont be. Ie ex LMS or (BR 19 80's oo or N gauge) or even a small industrial layout. 

Basically I think I'm a bit bored of the LMS.

Edited by farren
Spelling. It's always spelling why else
  • Like 1

The joy of the GC in it's later years was just about everything ran on those rails, granted most of the exotics from the Western Region terminated at Leicester, but a bit of modellers licence could allow them further north, we even had the odd southern region loco turn up on occasion on specials usually. In it's last throws in the early to mid 1960's most of the stock was ex midland region with the odd B1 or V2 thrown in, sadly the A3's were removed when the "Master Cutler" was transferred away. Have you got a copy of the book "Mainline Lament" that's a good starting point for matters GC.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have just added the 60's to the topic name. it was meant to be there all the time.

Yes there was a wide range off classes at Leicester and will be adding some modeling licence to get some up to Rothley but . Things like jubilees scot's black5 and 8f are sorted. One off the classes I will be getting is the J1 /2 which I found a producer of it, they just seem charming to me and will replace the MR 2f and Cauliflower which are now surplus to requirement. Also the GT3. 

I'll have to get the book you mentioned I do like books the Internet is only so good

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Progress since last post the layout might not look much different. But all points are are fitted wired up and point motors are all working so the sidings are up and running. Test running showed up some miner problems but all seems to be working fine now will test more before any ballast is added. Need to fit the last of the roof insulation then the scenic backboards. And finish the wiring properly. 

41617106-8AB4-4D18-8A10-66F4992B3A54.jpeg

E9041FAB-5E8D-4911-9C8C-A23077C17CCB.jpeg

20CB8D3A-2AFC-4CA4-8D58-E570E586F6EF.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Quick question about the ground signals. The signals show yellow yellow or yellow red. I’m I right in thinking yellow yellow the point is showing the point is set for straight and red yellow is set to change to a different track. In which case would the signal top left be the same as the point is acting like a trap point? 70D2C94C-797E-4262-901E-DFDF47E71728.jpeg.84fbdb39ad68f9be7293379e2c03d30a.jpeg

Edited by farren
Getting left/right mixed up
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thought I’d better do a update, the layout is slowly moving forward station now full length though one platform needs a lick of dark grey, scenery has now been started, waiting for some Plaster for the hills. 

Built my fist scratch built building well nearly the west side of the bridge acting as a scenic break. Looks quite good in place. 

FD8A956E-372E-415A-A2C9-1C560B734CE7.jpeg

D86170FF-9541-4ECA-862A-84BD2C9334CB.jpeg

CEABE01B-9A6B-4F45-BC5C-A26C098CE1C3.jpeg

20E3BDF0-A7AE-4BDB-A7FF-07ABEE133F9C.jpeg

• Like 1

I used to go to school by train from Rothley to Loughborough in the early 60s, cycling from Cropston - a mile away - and leaving my bike with others in the station masters' house front garden. The stock was mostly decrepit in the mornings, often suburban non-corridor, some with central lavatory, as was the hauling locomotive, quite often grimy 2-6-4Ts or B1s, I seem to recall Springbok being a regular, but I was too young to understand what was what.

The afternoon was usually corridor stock and sometimes had something exotic hauling such as the day a Britannia class newly outshopped turned up - Moray or Solway Firth, can't remember which but probably Moray, and boy, was the acceleration out of Loughborough and Quorn of a different order.

It was easier to catch the Midland Red bus services but, hey, riding behind a steam train was a better experience, even with smuts in the eyes from hanging out of the windows.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1