brylonscamel

After a few cups of tea (plus extra glasses of wine!) and some gentle arm-twisting, Dad is persuaded to allow a refresh to our joint model railway 'Braeside'.

"Let's try and make it more 'Scottish' .. more obviously tied to Aberdeenshire and less crowded out with Metcalfe buildings that do nothing to give a regional setting."

"How about a whisky distillery, a granite station with turrets like the one at Aboyne, a coaling stage based on a real Caledonian example at Ferryhill and the famous 'cut off cottage' from Deeside" 

As I excitedly suggested rationalising track, ripping out large chunks of card-kit-modelling, some scratch-builds and lots of rather box-like hills & tunnels, my Dad looked rather deflated. Neither of us are 'spring-chickens' and this looked like a big setback, with less time to just play trains on a largely complete layout.

So I set myself  a challenge to make a good fist of this before Christmas.

I started in July and have taken a few photos along the way. I'll set about documenting it here ... 

braeside-coaling-stage-00.jpg

• Like 11

Having followed your build of Caledonian Basin, I will follow your progress on this with interest.  The coaling shed looks superb.  I like setting deadlines on work being done on a layout (more self encouragement to get jobs done quicker)

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Those builds are excellent.

If you’ve gone from metcalfe straight to those you’ve gone from ABC to PHD in Astro physics !

Brilliant! Thanks Rob .. I haven't gone straight from Metcalfe, I got the scratch-build bug about 5 years ago. The last couple of years have been the most productive, trying to learn as much as I can with my little diorama project, using clay and embossed materials etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Lovely work. I think I said this before on a build you showcased elsewhere but the brickwork on the signal boxes you produce is just superb. I don't know anyone else who can colour brickwork like you can.

Cheers Martin .. I worry that I might struggle on bigger expanses of brick (hence starting on small signal box buildings). Mind you, they are very rewarding structures to have a go at!

3 hours ago, ColinW said:

Having followed your build of Caledonian Basin, I will follow your progress on this with interest.  The coaling shed looks superb.  I like setting deadlines on work being done on a layout (more self encouragement to get jobs done quicker)

Colin

.. I am finding the deadline is good for motivation! I'm less inclined to view a model railway as some open-ended (never ending?) project.

Also I would hate to deny Dad the pleasure of running trains for too long. Time is precious!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Looking excellent, are you keeping enough room for the railway

.. if I've got the measurements right then yes!

I persuaded my father to allow me to sweep away an area of goods sidings to allow for this 'rail-served' distillery to go in.

Hopefully we have left enough room out front for the line and out back for a roadway.

• Like 3