brylonscamel

42 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Do you find any issues with the DAS cracking as it dries in those 1mm slabs? I've not had issues where it is very thin but over ~2mm I find it tends to crack a little?

At this thickness it has been fine. I watched a video once where a chap demonstrated DAS techniques and he said cracking was down to the differential rates of drying. 

His tip for thicker materials was to slow down the drying process by keeping it somewhere cool and damp.

I always wet the clay generously and have sandwiched card walls between non-stick baking sheets whilst they dry.

An added benefit is it seems to stop the materials curling. 

Edited by brylonscamel
Additional text
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of "trim" being added to the distillery; ridge tiles, roof lights, and wall plates at the moment.

I've also added one functional part of the distillery that was missing : the worm tubs. These are big tanks at the back of the stills. The tanks contain water through which the evaporated spirit is passed.

The tanks have a "worm" of copper pipework to help condense the spirit.

This is all "stuff I'm learning"!

Here are the scratch-built  tubs in white styrene. In reality they stand on chunky (concrete or stone?) plinths.

20191020_230210_resize_64.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

9 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

Lots of "trim" being added to the distillery; ridge tiles, roof lights, and wall plates at the moment.

I've also added one functional part of the distillery that was missing : the worm tubs. These are big tanks at the back of the stills. The tanks contain water through which the evaporated spirit is passed.

The tanks have a "worm" of copper pipework to help condense the spirit.

This is all "stuff I'm learning"!

Here are the scratch-built  tubs in white styrene. In reality they stand on chunky (concrete or stone?) plinths.

20191020_230210_resize_64.jpg

Watch that American program about Moonshiners, they use worms cooled from nearby streams

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

I recently took some inspiration from the recent model-making of Pete Goss when it came to making the little roof-lights from my distillery 'still room'.

Distillery roof lights are glazed units with a simple pitched roof. I spotted that Pete Goss made windows for his latest brewery project by painting the glazing bars onto clear plastic.

In my effort, top and bottom lines were taped using 3M lining tape. This enabled me to paint the horizontal glazing bars in one go. The painted vertical lines were added with a ruling pen / bow pen.

As I found acrylics flow nicely in the pen,  I used them for all the paintwork.

braeside-distillery-19a.jpg

braeside-distillery-19b.jpg

braeside-distillery-19c.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

The distillery is getting a bit of attention with a brush to try and make the roofs a bit more realistic.

The ridge tiles are painted and I've been trying my hand at weathering the tiles, using a combo of dry-brushing and picking out random slates in different hues.

Here's the first (of many!) roofs ...

braeside-distillery-20a.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

2 hours ago, lezz01 said:

..  don't forget the water marks that will be generated by the roof light frames. Also start to think about flora

Good shout Lez .. I can see some streaking around roof lights in photos of the distilleries and moss etc 

To be honest I'm going to do the basic weathering on all the roofs before I do the sort of extra weathering needed because I'm running out of time!

I've got tomorrow off and I'm hoping to get lots done.

Wish me luck!

Edited by brylonscamel

23 hours ago, ColinW said:

Have to say that the building's are looking superb.  I really like the way you have got the brick work painted.

Cheers Colin!

I'll post up a new set of photos in the next couple of days. There's been a bit more progess. In fact it's close to complete!

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The roof looks very good so far mate. A nice balance to the colour mix, more water streaks would be nice, the ones that are there are very good, but it looks very nice so far.

regards Lez.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Southwich said:

Do you have any plans of what you’re building next?

Hi Will .. first off I've got a small collection of buildings from the engine shed area that need TLC.

I made them a few years ago and they look a bit tired and, if I'm honest sub-standard!

The next new building will be the station, based on an attractive GNoSR station at Aboyne.

• Like 1