brylonscamel

• RMweb Gold
On 26/10/2019 at 10:41, brylonscamel said:

A final push yesterday evening saw me finish the paintwork. My Dad arrived today and we took the distillery to it's new home on his layout.

I say "finish" but I ran out of time on the little 'worm tubs' at the rear. Happily  I can work on them separately.

It's been quite an adventure making these buildings.

I feel I've learnt a lot, especially in using clay as a surface material on buildings.

Cheers!

20191025_102501_resize_24.jpg

20191025_102209_resize_67.jpg

20191025_102049_resize_30.jpg

20191025_102245_resize_71.jpg

20191025_102233_resize_12.jpg

20191025_102420_resize_29.jpg

20191025_102256_resize_90.jpg

20191025_102525_resize_89.jpg

20191025_102618_resize_57.jpg

That is superb!!

Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 26/10/2019 at 01:11, brylonscamel said:

A final push yesterday evening saw me finish the paintwork. My Dad arrived today and we took the distillery to it's new home on his layout.

I say "finish" but I ran out of time on the little 'worm tubs' at the rear. Happily  I can work on them separately.

It's been quite an adventure making these buildings.

I feel I've learnt a lot, especially in using clay as a surface material on buildings.

Cheers!

20191025_102501_resize_24.jpg

20191025_102209_resize_67.jpg

20191025_102049_resize_30.jpg

20191025_102245_resize_71.jpg

20191025_102233_resize_12.jpg

20191025_102420_resize_29.jpg

20191025_102256_resize_90.jpg

20191025_102525_resize_89.jpg

20191025_102618_resize_57.jpg

Seeing the photos of the whole set of buildings together, shows how stunning they look, and would certainly be an eye catching part of any layout.  Hopefully you can get a chance to show them in their location on your father's layout.

Colin

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ColinW said:

Hopefully you can get a chance to show them in their location on your father's layout.

Hi Colin.. I took a few photos (and a short video) of the distillery this weekend.

It occupies a fairly barren space that we cleared on the layout but the early photos are encouraging.

I'll share them here to see what everyone thinks.

17 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Looks fantastic with just those buildings in place. I'm sure the layout will be stunning when complete, with all the work you are putting in.

Cheers Martyn - I'm having a couple of days breather before embarking on the next round! I came back to work after the weekend really tired!!

PS Here's the black 5 after the obligatory black-and-white Photoshop tomfoolery, just to see how it looks in 'vintage photography' mode

braeside-coaling-stage-01.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, brylonscamel said:

Cheers Martyn - I'm having a couple of days breather before embarking on the next round! I came back to work after the weekend really tired!!

PS Here's the black 5 after the obligatory black-and-white Photoshop tomfoolery, just to see how it looks in 'vintage photography' mode

braeside-coaling-stage-01.jpg

magnificent!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Any chance of a track plan of your father's layout, or even a couple of high level photos looking down so we can get an idea of the design? I am presuming its a terminus-FY setup?

Hi Martin .. it's actually a bit more train-set than you suggest! It's a large two-track oval with various sidings and a line through the harbourside.

We made a lot of early progress some years ago but had a recent re-think after visiting a few exhibitions.

My growing interest in scratch-building has also changed things. I'm a bit more ambitious than I was 10 years ago and want to make the setting for his railway more appealing!

Apart from ripping out some sidings to accommodate the distillery, we are keeping the original track-plan.

It is-what-it-is and functions very well so it's just the buildings and scenery that are getting an overhaul.

PS I'll post the mimic panel diagrams as that's the nearest track plans to-hand.

On 03/11/2019 at 13:35, Martin S-C said:

Any chance of a track plan of your father's layout

Here's a) the main loop with  the sidings that act as a fiddle yard and b) the engine shed and distillery branch

Braeside-Track-Diagram-v03.png

mimic-panel-braeside-junction.png

Edited by brylonscamel
incorrect image
  • Like 1

One of the less glamorous buildings that's getting a makeover is the fish market that sits on a corner of the harbour.

The basic structure was OK but it was looking a bit rough. The corrugated sheets were lifting and buckling. the brick columns were wonky, the lamps damaged and the brick-paper scuffed.

.. here is the offending shed, in a sea of now largely redundant buildings!

fish-market-00.jpg

And here is the scene after removing most of the clutter and surplus buildings. The station is the next major thing to go!

fish-market-00a.jpg.e868e3f7f125b24697c48256e8a06679.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 4

Here is a replacement for a building that sits alongside the shed.

The building houses a kiln for drying sand as well as acting as a sort of workshop.

The current building had the right feel but used Metcalfe glazing and some of it just didn't look right, It was a also lacking in any texture. Hopefully the new one will look great when painted.

braeside-engine-shed-01a.jpg

braeside-engine-shed-01b.jpg

braeside-engine-shed-01c.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Oops!
I thought my old model (from which I based this copy) was correctly proportioned. But looking at photos of these buildings at various Scottish sheds, I realised the chimney was all wrong!

After some brick counting and head scratching, I added the necessary height by chopping off the top of my chimney and extending it by 20 bricks.

I cheated by adding a metal brick straps to hide the join.

2019-11-13_03-12-05.jpg

2019-11-13_03-12-19.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Bang goes the weekend! Looks like I'll be up to my ears in mount-board and glazing.

I have been inspired by Pete Goss' latest project to try my hand at his use of materials and methods.

Turns out mount-board is a lovely thing to cut. 

My efforts with a lining pen are also starting to improve, getting some uniform lines among the odd disaster!

20191115_111508_resize_62.jpg

20191115_112252_resize_18.jpg

20191115_110430_resize_90.jpg

• Like 10

Progress with a scratch-built 'Caledonian' engine shed for my father's layout 'Braeside' 

First off! .. Ignore the mismatched brickwork! I'm just waiting on another order of embossed brick in the right pattern to add the next layer (that largely covers the plain bond brickwork.

I've switched to using some materials and techniques that model-maker Pete Goss (of this parish!) uses when creating his beautiful buildings. The carcass material is mountboard (the sort of thing picture framers and graphic designers/photographers use). It really is a beautiful material to work with; cuts very cleanly and takes a bit of sanding if you're careful.

The other technique I nicked from Pete Goss is the brick headers. I struggle to get a really neat finish - Pete's solution is to cut a ribbon of embossed brick and then notch between each brick with a knife blade. Done carefully, the bricks naturally fan out and are flexible so can be fitted in snugly. 

engine-shed-01.jpg

engine-shed-01a.jpg

engine-shed-01b.jpg

engine-shed-01c.jpg

engine-shed-01d.jpg

engine-shed-01e.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• 4 weeks later...

More to report on my Caledonian-inspired engine shed model.

It's been another interesting project - time has been a major factor as I promised my Dad that we could get it in by Christmas!!

This is the second building (after the distillery) that I've not been able to fiddle with endlessly. This is proving to be a good thing. Buildings get finished. Fathers are happy.

The build has gone well - crammed into weekday evenings and spare Sundays. One problem that I haven't got time to solve - an alignment cock-up with the repair shed roof windows. We will live with though - its not obvious to a bystander. As the only bystanders are my father and I - it will be OK. 

The biggest issue has been with my use of solvent glues when layering sheet styrene. I have been aware of the problem before but it was especially worrying with an open structure like this. Walls started to bow and they weren't held by big bracing pieces, like I'm used to in an enclosed structure.

It all came good when constructing the roofs. I realised the curvature would be pulled by roof panels. Once fitted, the walls returned to a true shape. It has all held firm with no further evidence of curvature.

The up-shot is that I will 'stick' (sorry about the pun) to using impact adhesives, reserving solvents for smaller features and parts that aren't laminated.

I have found "UHU POR" to be an exceptionally good all-rounder despite being aimed at EPP and styrofoam. Bonding styrene to paper / board / card is equally successful.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

My only issue with that method of making brick arches is that they should all be stretchers but what you get is a nicely curved 3 course arch of whatever bond brickwork you used. There must be a better way than that. You can acheve the same curve by scribing a tower of stretcher bond and doing the same as you did with the wall bond. Otherwise the building is to your usual high standard that most of us can only dream of acheving.

Regards Lez.

• Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

My only issue with that method of making brick arches is that they should all be stretchers but what you get is a nicely curved 3 course arch of whatever bond brickwork you used. There must be a better way than that. You can acheve the same curve by scribing a tower of stretcher bond and doing the same as you did with the wall bond. Otherwise the building is to your usual high standard that most of us can only dream of acheving.

Regards Lez.

Thanks Lez - that's a really helpful observation. I was impressed with the technique for arching the bricks and didn't check the brick pattern. I hoped the effect wouldn't draw attention to the configuration of bricks. I was aware of the problem whilst subsequently looking at local brick arches.

Model making really does have you gazing at the surrounding world  with a different interest. There's a place over the road from me that houses a snooker / pool / darts shop. I bet few locals are aware of the elegant brick and stone detailing on the facade.

The fact that I had this real world example on my doorstep is a bit embarrassing as all the clues were right in front of my nose!

snooker-shop.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 1