brylonscamel

• RMweb Gold

Of course the cherry on the top would be a flickering fire effect in the braziers. Not difficult to achieve for someone of your skills and abilities. Flickering fire effect module, a big drill a small drill a bit of crushed coal and a box/tin of quality street. Yes I know the last item is a bit odd but quality street has some very nice very thin plastic, if not acetate, sweetie wrappers in shades of dark red, orange, amber and pink. Plus you'll have something to chomp on whilst you drill it out and put it all together. Just a little thought you understand and it will be a nice little talking point.  It shouldn't take more than an hour if you do them both together.

Regards Lez.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

That's one of our little Scottish Sulzers after a bit of fettling!

She looks nice and scruffy and the DCC sound is lovely.

It's a bit of a bodge as I couldn't get the right pattern of steps and had to cut the recess for the tablet catcher by hand. We bought a discounted model and I realised there were a few details that weren't right for a highland loco.

At times we're a bit slapdash with accuracy - which stops me descending into a neurotic sweat.

It is a hobby after all.

caledonian-basin-class-26-01.jpg.a0129415b9daa2687cd1a3e77f35db8a.jpg

• Like 6

I wonder if anyone knows where you can get the 'Manson tablet catcher' from - I had a look on the forum and I spotted that Lochgorm Kits made one in resin or brass but sadly the chap behind Lochgorm died recently.

I'm not sure if anyone has taken on his legacy of kits or another is available.

Bachmann used them on their green Class 20s but no sign of it as a spare part!

14 hours ago, ColinW said:

I particularly like the engine shed ..

Cheers Colin - the engine shed was a bit more 'epic' than I realised. I made one a few years ago from card & brick-paper, remembered as an easy build. For some reason (probably defective memory!) this one took a lot of work. I think it's because all the windows and wall layers were more accurately constructed. Plus I made all the roof chimneys, water-tank , roofing slates, clerestory  roofs etc.

If you're curious, here is the old setup

(1) Metcalfe coaling stage and scratch-built shed using Metcalfe brick papers

27737428981_42c029c6d9_k.jpg.fbceed97762fb69c2996a59edd4fa32c.jpg

(2) Here's the side view of the shed- practically everything in this view has been trashed or rebuilt! I'm especially aware of how short the original building was ..

32364723820_b9e6c4161c_k.jpg.c6deb6c7cbc4691c36079c3a45b38c72.jpg

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, ColinW said:

The thing about Metcalf kits are that they are easily recognised on layouts.  Whilst they are good for some people, it is when it is your own work that you have the satisfaction when you see it.

Colin

I agree Colin - they definitely have their uses and can be kit-bashed with ease.

I just wanted so badly to have structures that are unique to our layout with lots of texture that can be weathered and are recognisable as 'Scottish' .. plus the whole scene needed a 'de-clutter'!

Edited by brylonscamel
text correction
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yep your's are a definite improvement on the factory effort mate. I would say that whoever it was at the factory needs to clean their airbrush out properly as it's truly awful. I would have sent them back myself.

Regards Lez.   

• Like 1

Hi Lez- I agree - talk about "quality-out-of-control" they should never have left the warehouse!

I unearthed them at my Dad's but some while after he bought them.  

I didn't have the heart to tell Dad how awful I though they were but whisked them home for a bit of emergency treatment.

• Friendly/supportive 1

More bits-and-bobs for 'Braeside' . Small things like whisky barrels, a refuelling point and lastly the "worm washes" for the back of the distillery.

I made these at the same time the rest of the distillery was constructed but ran out of time to paint them.

They are odd looking contraptions, like giant barrels with water as a coolant for distilled spirit. The spirit runs through coils of copper tube - hence the name 'worm'?

braeside-distillery-items-02.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

The fuel point is a cut-down version of a resin kit that I hope to improve with staining and grubbiness when in-situ.

I skipped the scratch-build option for this feature due to time constraints. A general failure to find photography didn't help. I looked for images of those corrugated Scottish fuel points for views of the inside.

Plenty of photos with a loco in the way or from behind their hunched backs. I guess the climate up north requires a tightly shrouded shelter!

braeside-distillery-items-02a.jpg

• Like 3

Re tablet catcher, try contacting Charlie who has taken over Lochgorm:

enquiries@lochgormkits.co.uk

He has had problems getting up and running but can supply items, albeit with about a month’s waiting time.

Jim P

Edited by jasp
additional info
  • Like 1

On 04/03/2020 at 12:14, luckymucklebackit said:

Here is one I made earlier, now sadly languishing in a box somewhere ...

Jim that's the very thing! Sad indeed that it's 'languishing' -  a layout that's been mothballed maybe?

On 04/03/2020 at 18:02, jasp said:

Re tablet catcher, try contacting Charlie who has taken over Lochgorm ...

Cheers for the info, that's really helpful. I had a couple of frets from Lochgorm that were my very first attempts to make wagons from a brass kit. The models were excellent and the chap supplied lots of extra instruction for novices. It was sad news afterwards to hear of its original designer passing away.

My Dad and I witnessed some top-link motive power at the 'Braeside shed' this weekend. I might have sneaked them in, just to get some attractive photos and it's a record of how the scene has developed with each small addition - in this case the water cranes and the boardwalk outside the shed entrance.

60019 "Bittern" - the last loco to work the Aberdeen-Glasgow expressesbraeside-engine-shed-04.jpg.ae02a89e99565f6fa3c8cccc41500d6d.jpg

60019 Bittern and Finsbury Park Deltic D9007 "Pinza" occupy  roads at the Braeside shed

braeside-engine-shed-04a.jpg.11a7fbe7e88f709815cf502b6270a65a.jpg

A close up view of the "repair road" occupied by 'Pinza' - illustrating all the things you notice when the camera gets too close i.e. brickwork joins and missing screw couplings on the Deltic

braeside-engine-shed-04b.jpg.309f62b71c2c5f8727379154db36a1a2.jpg

• Like 6

Here's a before-and-after showing an attempt to bed in the distillery using DAS modelling clay.

Here's the before

braeside-distillery-01a.jpg.ee9fc86ed16d1d7f8bf77581b23c2af3.jpg

I cut some 2mm card to form a base for the model. The area of the baseboard was a bit rough after we scraped away the previous occupant of the site - a Metcalfe goods shed area.

Then applied a layer of clay up to the edges of the card bases. Using a technique I've seen elsewhere added some rough cobble textrue to the clay with the end of a thin plastic tube - in this case the end of a pipette.

Here's the after

braeside-distillery-01.jpg.dd9a5a33ee9683e61b9a839d2d2ce9a7.jpg

• Like 16