brylonscamel

On 17/05/2020 at 19:32, David Bell said:

.. but now I will scratchbuild. I will use the kits as a drawing aid. And if that goes well, then there is the small matter of the North British Hotel!

The Metcalfe kits are a great intro into scratch-building as they use sound construction methods for use with card

On 15/05/2020 at 16:18, luckymucklebackit said:

Some "development of true shape of surface" going to be required for the roof, hope you haven't forgotten your tech drawing fundamentals

Jim - this discussion has proved rewarding as I've now been introduced to the process - even if a bit of filing was necessary to get a snug fit

braeside-distillery-office-06.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Development of true shape of surface complete! Plus a few extra features like chimneys, the gable-end ridges and some decorative flourishes that I found on the building at Aberlour.

Plan view of the gable roofs meeting around the tower.braeside-distillery-office-08.jpg.da8f90bd19c64337b16b9591a2e4594a.jpg

The little distillery office & visitors centre before applying a layer of clay

braeside-distillery-office-07.jpg.4d881bb86b82ceabad0218d2e197bf1a.jpg

braeside-distillery-office-09.jpg.43493557f8f057e08971ec151333ab3c.jpg

The original building that has largely inspired this building. The orientation of the building is reversed and not 100% right but the idea is to make something as quickly as possible without agonising over the proportions too much.

aberlour-01c.jpg.2c1f6146193e66f282e3fc4cdb03a91b.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
gable roofs not hipped roofs you dummy
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

The distillery office looks great, and will look forward to seeing the progress with it.  Can fully understand how you are explaining to your father as to where it will be situated near the distillery buildings.

Colin

• Like 1

On 27/05/2020 at 13:55, ColinW said:

I can fully understand how you are explaining to your father as to where it will be situated near the distillery buildings.

We are getting good at updating each other remotely with progress. A couple of factors make it unlikely that I will be able to visit my parents for a while yet!

9 hours ago, lezz01 said:

How're you gonna do the roof mate? .......:angel:

Regards Lez.

The logical thing would be to turn one from wood but I haven't got a lathe.

I was thinking maybe of cutting a series of narrowing card discs and stacking them to create a cone.

I can use filler to smooth it off.

Its the flared base that I'm keen to reproduce and this seemed like a good way to do it.

• RMweb Gold

I would make a disc of plasticard and cut out a quadrant then join the ends together then you can cover it with individual slates. You can get the radius by measuring the distance between the apex and the top of the tower wall. Cut a small circle out of the middle of the disc then take the circumference of the wall away from the circumference of the disc and remove a slice that's the difference. Join the edges together and there is your cone. If you add another circle when you mark out the first one say 8-10mm bigger than the measured one, that's your flare you just need to cut a bit out of it and it will form a part of a cone just like the main circle. That's the way I would do it myself anyway.

Regards Lez.      

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

After trying a cone method - and failing to get it spot on - I tried stacking a load of card discs on top of each other and coating with clay. This is the result, with a flare to be added next ...

braeside-distillery-office-03.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11

There's always more than one way to do things and I think I'd have approached it in a similar manner. Nicely done and no one will ever know !

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Green is so the right colour for that 21. It is a 21 and not a 29 is it not? Two tone looks really odd on them but plane green is fab. I also liked your solution for the roof. Very nice mate. You could also have made it from a turned solid if you have access to a lathe or a Christmas tree ornament. 

Regards Lez.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Green is so the right colour for that 21. It is a 21 and not a 29 is it not? Two tone looks really odd on them but plane green is fab. I also liked your solution for the roof. Very nice mate. You could also have made it from a turned solid if you have access to a lathe or a Christmas tree ornament. 

Regards Lez.

It is indeed a 21 and although they were a disaster in operation, I find the look of them strangely appealing in solid green. Not that we are slaves to prototype but the old GNoSR routes out of Aberdeen were where these locos were most often seen, based at Aberdeen Kittybrewster. I also believe the rebuilt versions found themselves largely in Glasgow Eastfield after Kittybrewster closed at the end of steam.

I'll get my anorak!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Still it looks very good though and let's face it building a witches hat style turret roof isn't the easiest job in the world is it?! It's a mare full size let alone in 4mm scale. 

It will look even better once you have a coat or two of paint on it mate.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

So the distillery office is done, complete with a witches hat  for a roof!

I'm sure the administrators and visitors to the Braeside distillery will be very happy to finally have it available to use!

braeside-distillery-office-05.jpg

braeside-distillery-office-06.jpg

braeside-distillery-office-07.jpg

Absolutely beautiful. Very well done. I wish I could model like this! Fantastic tones and colour. Very life like. 

John 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1