brylonscamel

Once again you've excelled !

Even if this building wasn't placed on a layout it screams North of the Border and is immediately recognisable, well done !!!

G

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

So the distillery office is done, complete with a witches hat  for a roof!

I'm sure the administrators and visitors to the Braeside distillery will be very happy to finally have it available to use!

braeside-distillery-office-05.jpg

braeside-distillery-office-06.jpg

braeside-distillery-office-07.jpg

This building is something else! Such beautiful craftsmanship; well done!

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

On 15/08/2020 at 05:46, 380John said:

Absolutely beautiful. Very well done. I wish I could model like this! Fantastic tones and colour. Very life like. 

Thanks John - it has taken me a while to get the colours and tones near to the original. I can't tell you of the many stages, false starts and failures along the way!

• Informative/Useful 1

That building is absolutely great, I really like the slates and weathering around the chimney stacks. I can see how that scene is going to develop. Already it's got plenty going for it in my book. Buildings that look real, a couple of antiquated locos with minimal cabs AND a 1962 Vauxhall Victor. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely stunning work, I've been lurking on the forum for a few months now, between your work here and the basin I've not seen anything that tops this. sets the bar very high for what I'm thinking of for my first project in nearly 40 years!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thompclass37 said:

I've been lurking on the forum for a few months now

I like the idea that you've been reading posts in a furtive, secret manner!

Cheers for the feedback on the models, most of my inspiration in recent years has been from layouts described on this forum.

The current standard is very high. I'm constantly spotting models with the ooooh gosh! factor

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, brylonscamel said:

The current standard is very high. I'm constantly spotting models with the ooooh gosh! factor

So do the rest of us mate. Most of them being built by you!

Regards Lez.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

A great photo.  Sometimes a photo like this can help with the scenery, just by not looking at the polystyrene and plaster bandage, but looking at this and imagining what could go where, in the same way you said you explained to your father where buildings were too go.

Colin

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ColinW said:

"Sometimes a photo like this can help with the scenery, just by not looking at the polystyrene and plaster bandage, but looking at this and imagining what could go where"

Good point .. I do try and look past  the visible scene and picture what could be there.

The most important change three years ago was to look at our layout and compare it to the real railway. I realised I was just stuffing things into the scene  and it was all terribly boxy and cluttered.

Dad didn't want a complete demolition job so we agreed to keep the trackwork largely untouched but replace the buildings and revamp the  scenery. 

The scenic side isnt my forte but I'll try and create a sense of space and avoid cluttering the surrounding landscape.

I said to Dad .. "let's try and make it look like the railway is cut into the surrounding land rather than the other way around"

This next phase will test that idea!!

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It's an FB that Victor isn't it? Dad had one in off white with green panels but ours was an estate. I had a grey FE it was my second car. I then flirted with a long series of Hillman Hunters including a Humber Scepter and a Singer Vogue. I even had a GLS with the Holbay engine and twin DCOE Weber carbs. What a fabulous car that was. Oh happy happy days!  

Regards Lez.

Edited by lezz01
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I had a grey one with a red roof as a teenager, a Deluxe model with seperate front seats and a floor gear change, it was well over 20 years old then. 337 RUR, it's probably been junked for the number plate by now.  That early sixties American styling always looked good to me. Modern cars might be better, but they're soulless boxes that all look like Dysons and to me are about as interesting as a bucket of fish heads.

Edited by MrWolf

10 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

Our thoughts exactly - the Vauxhall Victor is a nod to our own family history. It was the family car for about 10 years.

I must admit that scene brought back some memories for me too. My Dad's first car was a 1964 Vauxhall Victor, white with red seats. I did see it some 25 years later by which time it was pink and a taxi!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Bell said:

I must admit that scene brought back some memories for me too. My Dad's first car was a 1964 Vauxhall Victor, white with red seats. I did see it some 25 years later by which time it was pink and a taxi!

I don't remember my dad's first car, it was a 1946 Morris 8 back in '64 before I was even born, but I remember a blue 1965 Victor 101, sat baking half to death queueing for petrol, must have been about 1973?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/08/2020 at 16:45, Les Johnson said:

Will you stop posting real pictures and pretending it’s all your own work! (ie.J36 with coal wagons)

Les

If you saw what it encountered as it rounded the bend - polystyrene sheet, card template for a bridge and then our - soon to be replaced - Metcalfe station you would know that the J36 is actually heading through toy trainset-land

I did a few favours for friends over the last few months and have had some returned with nice surprises.

A friend dropped me some transfers and an Oxford Diecast Morris van in return for one model-making favour.

I'm fettling the van, a change of colour and some light weathering are planned but I am really thrilled with it.

It is a very good hobby for this kind of thing!

Here is the Morris body quickly stripped of paint  ...

mcculloch-vehicles-02.jpg.b4c9d2842fcc5843a8f8fff7249d2bbf.jpg

A coat of white primer and off-white gloss later and it was ready to take the transfers ..

mcculloch-vehicles-01.jpg.14888d68004fb5c243b561f28ac5e814.jpg

mcculloch-vehicles-03.jpg.1d65aba8f8af92814d9b42d3e5376ae8.jpg

• Like 12