brylonscamel

1 hour ago, brylonscamel said:

Jim that's the very thing! Sad indeed that it's 'languishing' -  a layout that's been mothballed maybe?

Sadly Gateside and Northbridge had to be dismantled as we moved house last Year, hopefully will be getting into gear to build another iteration of that concept and I have a location reserved for the little structure

jim

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

More exquisite and believable modelling once again. 

As I have very little experience of anything North of the Border ( one visit to Scotland for a week end ) I have to say that if there were no locomotives or stock on the layout it would naturally lead me to think it was Scottish based.

Just like your Caladonian Basin I admire your work and thank you for posting for us to admire.

G

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, bgman said:

if there were no locomotives or stock on the layout it would naturally lead me to think it was Scottish based.

.. that's such a great reaction!

Someone described that as their benchmark for a model and it struck me as a great test.

The original Metcalfe-heavy backdrop didn't suggest 'Scottish' at all - we relied on locos with names like 'Aberdonian' or 'Glasgow Highlander' to convey any sense of  the Caledonian or Doric!

Its still a hotch-potch of buildings but at least "The Black Watch" or "Eddie Ochiltree" will feel at home passing highland distilleries, granite butt-and-ben cottages, Great North of Scotland signalboxes and Caledonian engine sheds!

• Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

Polly the Peckett is still fully occupied on the distillery siding and if anyone is concerned, whisky production at our miniature distillery continues uninterrupted.

Important Note: Please excercise self-control as we can only guarantee to fill the tiniest of glasses

braeside-mk2-distillery-02a.jpg.69e111cd33bf3527dca6ac1d91b1bd1b.jpg

The Peckett certainly sets the scene well.  The distillery buildings look superb.

Colin

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Whilst designing a logo for sister project 'Caledonian Basin', I knocked up a logo for 'Braeside' - it will never be exhibited but its a bit of fun and may amuse my father. The design is based on a badge used by the "Inverurie Locomotive Works Football Club"
49673279666_774ce3c5e4_o.jpg.071e7247616a535f3e9aacc0376ac36c.jpg

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, brylonscamel said:

Whilst designing a logo for sister project 'Caledonian Basin', I knocked up a logo for 'Braeside' - it will never be exhibited but its a bit of fun and may amuse my father. The design is based on a badge used by the "Inverurie Locomotive Works Football Club"
49673279666_774ce3c5e4_o.jpg.071e7247616a535f3e9aacc0376ac36c.jpg

That could almost be a Whisky bottle label, if only you had a distillery.

Oh, hang on.......:mocking_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• 1 month later...

After a hiatus, loss of motivation and 'recent events' I'm back with model-making.

It's difficult getting the mojo going when I share this layout project with my father and I am separated from my parents by many miles and a policy that prevents visiting vulnerable family members for the foreseeable future.

Anyway, here's the thing that's got me back on the modeling. Dad and I are in regular phone contact and send each other diagrams, drawings and photos so we can both make progress at a distance.

Here's my effort at making an office / visitors centre for the distillery. Mount board for the carcass and (scored) sheet styrene for the window stonework. Next up - a layer of clay on the walls!

Here's the initial pencil drawing to get the proportions rightbraeside-distillery-02.jpg.090466980abc9ff0a929706fc3c8e096.jpg

Transferred onto mount board

braeside-distillery-office-02.jpg.0f5218ea99f07cd1c3d270fa955a5426.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

And then it's cutting a base, offering everything and puzzling a bit about the position of the base for the tower.

The position of the tower base (card packing tube) took a bit of head -scratching so that the pitched roofs will work with each other!

braeside-distillery-office-05.jpg.c857873cb17e884684dd724776c334af.jpg

The aerial view - you can see the tell-tale signs as I've fiddled with the circles on the base to get the alignment right!

braeside-distillery-office-03.jpg.0e6e2191823b7e6d9ce403addaffa304.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Really enjoyed catching up with this and Caledonian Basin. The quality of structure modelling is superb. The engine shed you built for Braeside reminds me very much of Grangemouth. It looks like a narrowed version but captures the  character of the prototype beautifully. It was my local shed when I was a lad in the seventies- spent many happy hours there.

Well done indeed

Cheers

David

2 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

hope you haven't forgotten your tech drawing fundamentals

I'm more illustrator and signwriter by training so I'm not sure I even qualify in tech drawing fundamentals!

Out of curiosity what would be "true shape of surface"? ... are we talking about the pitched roofs or the conical turret roof?

51 minutes ago, David Bell said:

Braeside reminds me very much of Grangemouth. It looks like a narrowed version

Well spotted and thanks for the comment!

I totally stole the shed design from Grangemouth for Braeside. I had a cut-down version of Aberdeen Ferryhill in mind but found drawings for Grangemouth in a book.

Both are Caledonian sheds and have much in common architecturally. 

But mine is definitely more Grangemouth in relation to the originals.

• RMweb Gold

I think it the conical turret roof mate, but don't rely on that I don't know for sure. The true shape of a conical roof is part of a disc so I think it's referring to that.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, brylonscamel said:

I'm more illustrator and signwriter by training so I'm not sure I even qualify in tech drawing fundamentals!

Out of curiosity what would be "true shape of surface"? ... are we talking about the pitched roofs or the conical turret roof?

When you look down vertically, the turret is obviously round, but the way the it will pass through the roof will result in an oval hole in that surface due to the angle of the roof.  I remember there is an old technique and it is demonstrated here 

Jim

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

Well spotted and thanks for the comment!

I totally stole the shed design from Grangemouth for Braeside. I had a cut-down version of Aberdeen Ferryhill in mind but found drawings for Grangemouth in a book.

Both are Caledonian sheds and have much in common architecturally. 

But mine is definitely more Grangemouth in relation to the originals.

That has brought back many happy memories. We kids used to go to Fouldubs box if the right signalmam was on and pass many a happy hour. There was one signal which the signalman said was nearly 1000 ft from the box and he would invite us to try and pull the lever. We could not move it! That is the real power of the hobby we share, it spans a lifetime and transports you to many happy sometimes distant moments of joy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, David Bell said:

There was one signal which the signalman said was nearly 1000 ft from the box and he would invite us to try and pull the lever. We could not move it! 

That's the kind of reminiscence that I love!

I found myself as a teenager invited into the signal-box at Stonehaven and discovered that they stuffed old notices in the window frame gaps to try and stop the North Sea winds howling through the cabin!

A friendly signalman at Marchwood (Fawley freight branch) revealed that he liked to give the mice names.

Like you say - distant moments of joy.

PS The signalman at Stonehaven let me take photos inside the box which I treasure to this day.

16065107556_13f756b8d4_k.jpg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

I remember there is an old technique and it is demonstrated here 

Jim thank you -  that's a great share - I think it makes sense  so I'm going to give it a try. Back to basics with the angle of the roof and then some measurements!

• Like 2

Your conversion from Metcalfe to scratchbuild has convinced me to follow your lead. I had found a  Metcalfe low relief kit which bears a passing resemblance to the building on the left side of the entrance to Glasgow Queen Street, and did buy two kits, but now I will scratchbuild. I will use the kits as a drawing aid. And if that goes well, then there is the small matter of the North British Hotel!

Keep up the good work

Cheers David

• Like 1