brylonscamel

Here's a close up of some roughly scratched stonework on the distillery shed.

I used the flat blade of a watchmakers screwdriver - which isn't kind on the wrists -  to try and give some wide, shallow mortar courses. 

I'm still trying out methods to reproduce the effect of an Aberdeen granite wall. There seem to be three styles of stone that I've noticed:

1) The smart, cut and dressed (Ashlar?) stone which you see on civic buildings or later town houses. Characterised by fine, crisp mortar joints

2) Regular-shaped dressed stone which is regular in shape but has broad shallow mortar joints

3) Rubble with uneven shapes and also, broad shallow joints

For my buildings, the originals seem mostly to be constructed from (2) .. hence the broad courses but regular blocks

Photo #2 is a sepreate little  test piece from the distillery which I keep as a reference for colours ..

braeside-miscellaneous-02.jpg

braeside-miscellaneous-02a.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• 2 weeks later...

Gosh I'm really have to bash through these models! I have another set that I'm aiming to take with me to see my parent's. In this instance the are the 'cutaway cottage' and the distillery goods shed.

Stonework remains unpainted but the buildings are largely finished except for some steps and gutters / downpipes ...

braeside-miscellaneous-03a.jpg

braeside-miscellaneous-03b.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Our little Peckett finally gets some dirt and a name.

"Polly the Peckett" is named in honour of the only loco my sister had on our childhood model railway.

I caught the railway modelling bug. Meanwhile my sister learned the violin and discovered boys!

braeside-polly-peckett-01.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

1 hour ago, BurscoughCurves said:

I like the look of the corrugated roofing; did you pre-shade the lighter ‘vertical’ edges?

I sprayed the roof with halfords red oxide and then brushed vertical grey stripes with a paint-brush, using a dry-brush technique to feather out the edges.

I could have used the airbrush but this is turned out to be quick and effective!

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Informative/Useful 3

Once again both posts are a credit to your skills.

Whilst I haven't a liking for whisky ( hope i don't offend ? ) the whole building shouts and imparts the architecture and smells of it to me !

The close up photograph of the lovely little Peckett's weathering is again excellent and very subtle.

On a lighter note, I for one am pleased you carried on with railways and not the violin !

G

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, bgman said:

Whilst I haven't a liking for whisky ( hope i don't offend ? ) the whole building shouts and imparts the architecture and smells of it to me ..

You're OK - I don't really like the stuff either. I tried a couple of whiskies whilst making the model but a sip or two was all I could manage!

A friend of mine persuaded me to drink whisky on some of our late night 'adventures'. There was a long period afterwards that even the smell of it made me feel queasy.

That the little distillery conjures up the smell of whisky no longer gives me the fear. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Loving the wriggly tin roof, very well done mate. 

I love whisky, sadly whisky doesn't love me! It tends to make me, how shall I put it.......err......lets just say a bit fighty and leave it at that, so I leave it well alone coz they don't let you have a model railway in the pokey.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mate that is just outstanding. Coffee stirrers are so useful for everything, except stirring coffee that is. I have a Costa next door to work, I never leave without 4 or 5 of them in my pocket. Wooden clothes pegs are also very useful. Wifey has switched to plastic one's because I keep nicking them.  -_-

Regards Lez.

• Like 2

On 28/01/2020 at 17:12, lezz01 said:

I have a Costa next door to work, I never leave without 4 or 5 of them in my pocket

Lez - As I have plans to make more wooden structures, Morrisons are increasing security in the cafe area

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Funny 2

Here's my plan to replace the wrong-sized water cranes at the engine shed.

I bought the white-metal kits from Knightwing as they're attractive and inexpensive.

The mouldings are nice but the bases are clumsy. Also, the braziers have lumpy feet!

So I made some new bases from plastic card and put some little feet on the braziers using brass wire. A bit of jewellers chain has been added to the crane arm to finish it off.

Here we have the unpainted and then finished cranes.

White metal castings from Knightwing with new scratch-built bases, brazier legs and chains.

20200209_185714_resize_37.jpg

.. and a bit of paint and rusty staining

49518374141_1a783ec7cc_k.jpg.e5a0ff53bc7c20b2f28ee523d066e4ca.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

33 minutes ago, brylonscamel said:

Here's my plan to replace the wrong-sized water cranes at the engine shed.

I bought the white-metal kits from Knightwing as they're attractive and inexpensive.

The mouldings are nice but the bases which are clumsy. Also, the braziers have lumpy feet!

So I made some new bases from plastic card and put some little feet on the braziers using brass wire. A bit of jewellers chain has been added to the crane arm to finish it off.

Here we have the unpainted and then finished cranes.

20200209_185714_resize_37.jpg

20200210_222409_resize_66.jpg

Hi brylonscamel

Very nicely painted to and the weathering look spot on, in every way,

Regards

Jamie

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1