Shunting layout advice

• RMweb Gold

I'm new to the forum, and new to modelling (since childhood anyway). My plan is to build a small-ish shunting layout, ~8ft by 2ft. The planned scene is some kind of old textile mill, and the era is ~ 60s diesels (probably). I'm looking for layout advice -- it all seems pretty complicated, in terms of getting the right sidings in the right sort of lengths to make the whole thing work correctly.

This is what I have so far. Some kind of fiddle yard on the right hand side off scene. Single track coming through, crossing a bridge over a river (light blue) which runs down past the mill building, then expanding into the yard. The white box on the right hand side of the layout is an engine shed, the other white box at an angle is some kind of building for unloading things where you back in a couple of wagons at a time. The grey square towards the bottom is a small fuel stop. The dark blue along the top will be a shallow relief mill building fascade. The green boxes are, I think, about the size of a wagon. This is all in 00. I was considering as well having an exit route towards the left as well, and maybe another fiddle yard that end, which would lead to some off scene other part of the mill yard that you can't see. Not sure about that.

Any advice / suggestions welcome. I was thinking there should be a signal box somewhere but wasn't sure where to put it. So far it's all just made up based on scouring the forums here and other things found on the web.

layout.png.adf7e948ff610459236fbf59e3e89367.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, davegardnerisme said:

I'm new to the forum, and new to modelling (since childhood anyway). My plan is to build a small-ish shunting layout, ~8ft by 2ft. The planned scene is some kind of old textile mill, and the era is ~ 60s diesels (probably). I'm looking for layout advice -- it all seems pretty complicated, in terms of getting the right sidings in the right sort of lengths to make the whole thing work correctly.

This is what I have so far. Some kind of fiddle yard on the right hand side off scene. Single track coming through, crossing a bridge over a river (light blue) which runs down past the mill building, then expanding into the yard. The white box on the right hand side of the layout is an engine shed, the other white box at an angle is some kind of building for unloading things where you back in a couple of wagons at a time. The grey square towards the bottom is a small fuel stop. The dark blue along the top will be a shallow relief mill building fascade. The green boxes are, I think, about the size of a wagon. This is all in 00. I was considering as well having an exit route towards the left as well, and maybe another fiddle yard that end, which would lead to some off scene other part of the mill yard that you can't see. Not sure about that.

Any advice / suggestions welcome. I was thinking there should be a signal box somewhere but wasn't sure where to put it. So far it's all just made up based on scouring the forums here and other things found on the web.

layout.png.adf7e948ff610459236fbf59e3e89367.png

Agree with Kerizac. Also have a look at the Carl Arendt scrapbook website for ideas. Various options including what are known as Timesaver and Inglenook options.  

Edited by john new

• 2 weeks later...