Speed Limits on Opening Rail Bridges

Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Can anyone enlighten me as to the upper speed limits on rail bridges that have opening sections? I'm thinking of the kind of bridges across water where boats need access to and from the water either side of the bridge, for instance a rail bridge across a bay, harbour or inlet.

TIA

• RMweb Premium

It will depend on the bridge (type of construction etc.) and varying speeds are in place, e.g.

Keadby - 25/40 mph

Selby - 25 mph (though when I was at Selby as a trainee in the 70s I believe the speed limit was 40 mph)

Goole - 30/60 mph

Reedham - 20 mph

Somerleyton - 30 mph

Edit: Just checked two more, Trowse has a limit of 40 mph, whilst Barmouth has a speed limit of 35 kph (20 mph).

Further edit: Just realised the OP was enquiring about bridges across a bay, harbour or inlet. None of the bridges in my original response qualifies for any of these types of location, however, Selby and Goole bridges are on the tidal stretch of the River Ouse, so tenuously could qualify. Apologies if I've caused any confusion. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by iands
Update
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iands said:

Further edit: Just realised the OP was enquiring about bridges across a bay, harbour or inlet. None of the bridges in my original response qualifies for any of these types of location, however, Selby and Goole bridges are on the tidal stretch of the River Ouse, so tenuously could qualify. Apologies if I've caused any confusion.

No confusion. Although I'm thinking about opening sections in those locations, any bridge with an opening section is useful for my understanding of the speed restrictions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ian J. said:

No confusion. Although I'm thinking about opening sections in those locations, any bridge with an opening section is useful for my understanding of the speed restrictions.

Although the speed limit for any bridge will be determined by the structure as a whole, as well as any track geometry issues. Plus, in its closed position, a swing bridge is no different to a normal girder bridge, as it is supported on the blocks at either end. It is only when it is required to be swung that the weight is transferred onto the pivot bearing.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Here's copies of the relevant pages of the Appendix to the Working Timetables for 1927 and 1947 showing speed limits for Trowse, Somerleyton and Reedhan swing bridges.

1927 Appendix swing bridge speeds.pdf 1.31 MB · 5 downloads

1947 Appendix swing bridge speeds.pdf 1.18 MB · 4 downloads

Chris Turnbull

Very useful, thank you.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, iands said:

It will depend on the bridge (type of construction etc.) and varying speeds are in place, e.g.

Keadby - 25/40 mph

Selby - 25 mph (though when I was at Selby as a trainee in the 70s I believe the speed limit was 40 mph)

Goole - 30/60 mph

Reedham - 20 mph

Somerleyton - 30 mph

Edit: Just checked two more, Trowse has a limit of 40 mph, whilst Barmouth has a speed limit of 35 kph (20 mph).

Hope this helps.

Not at all relevant to the original question (sorry), but for the record the Yare and the Waveney are definitely tidal under Reedham and Somerleyton bridges.

In fact at Reedham the tidal currents are strong enough that in the summer someone is stationed there to help boaters moor without breaking anything.

There is some tide at Trowse Bridge. But not a lot.

And it is most definitely tidal under Barmouth bridge.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Coryton said:

Not at all relevant to the original question (sorry), but for the record the Yare and the Waveney are definitely tidal under Reedham and Somerleyton bridges.

In fact at Reedham the tidal currents are strong enough that in the summer someone is stationed there to help boaters moor without breaking anything.

There is some tide at Trowse Bridge. But not a lot.

And it is most definitely tidal under Barmouth bridge.

Thanks for the "tide" info Coryton. Although I've visited Reedham, Somerleyton and Trowse swing bridges (all in an official capacity), not being local to those areas I wasn't aware that the Yare and Waveney are tidal at the respective locations. 

Different for Selby and Goole (visited many times, again in an official capacity) as they are my local area.

• Thanks 1

When we renewed Keadby bridge a few years back we had a test loco over first ting after commissioning. I was expecting the 56 to show up and take the bridge under caution but no. I had to be reminded to breath again after it's passage.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iands said:

Thanks for the "tide" info Coryton. Although I've visited Reedham, Somerleyton and Trowse swing bridges (all in an official capacity), not being local to those areas I wasn't aware that the Yare and Waveney are tidal at the respective locations. 

Yes there's quite a tidal range - which is important when the bridges are stuck. Some boats then have to wait for low tide to fit under. (And of course some won't go through at any tide).

And to sort of go back to the original topic (well not really), the speed limit was 0 mph when they closed Reedham bridge a few weeks ago and it ended up like this:

image.png.80019760ae11147a92a1e256fc361083.png

It should have been flying two red flags for bridge non-operational, but the screens were announcing a technical fault.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

On the massive list of things to do on my layout is the construction of a non working swing bridge. 

I would love it to have sound on it as the broads ones make such a distinct sound when a train goes over

• RMweb Premium
On 23/08/2019 at 21:54, Coryton said:

And to sort of go back to the original topic (well not really), the speed limit was 0 mph when they closed Reedham bridge a few weeks ago and it ended up like this:

image.png.80019760ae11147a92a1e256fc361083.png

It should have been flying two red flags for bridge non-operational, but the screens were announcing a technical fault.

A firm tap under the baseboard should do the trick.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Thank you all for your feedback. I've been able to take into account the need for speed limits, and have modified my ideas for my layout line idea (S&P - Sayersbridge and Penmouth) to take them into account. I'll be posting an entry in the blog for it sometime later today.