Small 2-tracks traverser

Hello everyone,
What's the best way to build a small 2-tracks traverser (22cm) in 00 gauge ? It must be very simple and basic. I'm planning to build it for my Kerizac's little yard #2 (the #1 died in very tragic circumstances under my car). Many thanks for your help.

• RMweb Gold

A piece of decent quality plywood sanded smooth and sitting on top of a smooth surface should be light enough and easily handled to use as a traverser and, space permitting, could even be turned around too.  You would need to include some means of aligning the rails and transferring power.  This is effectively a cassette so if you search RMweb you should find what you need.

• Thanks 1

I've just made a very simple single track 10cm long one by cutting a T shape from thickish (probably 3mm) card.

The upright of the T sits in a channel of the same width and is pulled/pushed to move the track which is fixed to the top of the T. It's all self-limiting by dint of being contained in a 'well' using the same card from which it was cut. Probably easier to understand if you see the pic on my thread here. 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Meccano would enable a simple and reliable traverser to be built. Parts can be obtained on eBay at reasonable cost. There are also Chinese clones available (usually metric based - 1 cm rather than 1/2" hole spacing).

Four pulleys and a few girders should make a solid frame. (Meccano nuts and bolts are 5/32" Whitworth, but 4MA will do just as well :secret: Just don't mix them.)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1