Microtrains N Gauge Couplers

Hi

I'm toying with the idea of building an exhibition layout. It will be N Gauge, and a shunting type scenario, but before I commit I want to be satisfied I can convert my existing stock to use MT type couplers and that the concept works.

I've been looking at the Sharps Models website and there is a bewildering array of couplings, boxes etc. Most of my freight stock is built on Peco 9 and 10' underframes. I'm sure someone here has been down this path already - what is the best MT coupler option for these please ?

The locos I'm looking at using are mainly newish BachFar (eg Warship) and Dapol (Hymek) - how do I convert these to MT ?

Thanks

STEVE

I've found the easiest way to convert Peco stock is to use the pre-assembled (or assemble yourself) coupler boxes. I would suggest getting a couple of each of the following to experiment with: 1015, 1025, 2004. I would also suggest getting a height gauge. If you intent to assemble couplers yourself, the assembly jig is very useful - 1015s are very economical in bulk and only take a few minutes and some coordination to assemble. An 00-90 tap and drill set is also useful, as the MT mounting screws are that size.

1015 - standard coupling in a short, but relatively deep box

1016 - longer shank version of the 1015

1025 - standard coupling in a shallower, but longer mounting

2004 - raised head standard coupling in a different mounting (similar footprint to a 1015)

As for locos, I have used the short-shank Rapido replacements (1128) in older Rapido boxes, but there currently isn't a NEM solution.

1128, 1129, 1130 - various lengths of replacement couplers to fit in existing Rapido coupler boxes.

http://www.micro-trains.com/Coupler%20diagrams.pdf

Adrian

I've found the easiest way to convert Peco stock is to use the pre-assembled (or assemble yourself) coupler boxes. I would suggest getting a couple of each of the following to experiment with: 1015, 1025, 2004. I would also suggest getting a height gauge. If you intent to assemble couplers yourself, the assembly jig is very useful - 1015s are very economical in bulk and only take a few minutes and some coordination to assemble. An 00-90 tap and drill set is also useful, as the MT mounting screws are that size.

1015 - standard coupling in a short, but relatively deep box

1016 - longer shank version of the 1015

1025 - standard coupling in a shallower, but longer mounting

2004 - raised head standard coupling in a different mounting (similar footprint to a 1015)

As for locos, I have used the short-shank Rapido replacements (1105?) in older Rapido boxes, but there currently isn't a NEM solution.

http://www.micro-trains.com/Coupler%20diagrams.pdf

Adrian

Thanks Adrian - thats exactly what I needed to know

STEVE

• 5 months later...

Hello all,

I've been reading through this thread with interest. I'm building an 'N' scale shunting layout in a boxfile, so I'm looking for MicroTrains replacements for Rapido/Elsie couplers. The information has been invaluable, but I have a couple of questions, if you'll permit...

1. The centreline of a Rapido coupling is roughly 4mm from the rail-top, whereas the centreline of the 'knuckle' on MT couplings is quoted in their PDF as 5.5mm. Is this likely to cause a problem on Peco chassis, as the bottom of the solebars to rail-top measures 5.5mm (give or take)?

2. I notice from MicroTrains' PDF document that the 'knuckles' are offset from the shafts on the 't'-shank 1128/29/30 couplings. Is this to allow for the difference in height between Rapido boxes and MT standard height? This would be useful, as I'm not all that keen of hacking up my cherished Farish Class 25 if it can be avoided...

Many thanks in advance, and please forgive me if I've not seen the blindingly obvious smile.gif

Steve

Hello all,

I've been reading through this thread with interest. I'm building an 'N' scale shunting layout in a boxfile, so I'm looking for MicroTrains replacements for Rapido/Elsie couplers. The information has been invaluable, but I have a couple of questions, if you'll permit...

1. The centreline of a Rapido coupling is roughly 4mm from the rail-top, whereas the centreline of the 'knuckle' on MT couplings is quoted in their PDF as 5.5mm. Is this likely to cause a problem on Peco chassis, as the bottom of the solebars to rail-top measures 5.5mm (give or take)?

I haven't found an issue using 1015s (with the caveat that, apart from convering some stock and doing a bit of playing, the project has been shelved in favour of NA N-scale), but 2004s should get the head exactly in position.

2. I notice from MicroTrains' PDF document that the 'knuckles' are offset from the shafts on the 't'-shank 1128/29/30 couplings. Is this to allow for the difference in height between Rapido boxes and MT standard height? This would be useful, as I'm not all that keen of hacking up my cherished Farish Class 25 if it can be avoided...

That is the intent, but I have found some Farish items have the mounting for the Rapido set too low for the MT conversion (I think the bogie tanks were the worst offenders I found).

Adrian

• 10 months later...

Hello David,

I sent the same question to 'Microtrains Joe' in June but received no response. I can only infer there is no news on an NEM version.

In the meantime I have successfully converted many NEM fitted Farish and Dapol locos and stock using the MT1015 (med) or 1016 (long) coupling as follows:

1) Pull out the existing coupling and remove complete with the spring loaded mounting unit. Leave the fixed 'pocket' in place.

2) Carefully slice off ONLY the top of the fixed pocket leaving the sides, rear and base of the pocket untouched.

3) Sit the assembled MT1015 or 1016 on the base of the pocket, (it will fit snugly between the sides).

4) Check knuckle height with the MT height gauge (I've always found it to be fine).

5) Secure with a tiny spot of epoxy ensuring no glue gets on the moving parts.

Hope this is of help.

Regards,

HC

• 3 years later...

I know this is a 4 year bump but it's the obvious place for this question.  :no:

I have a couple of Kato/Atlas Alco RSD15s which I used to run as a pair so I put Kaydees, er, Microtrains (I STILL think of them as Kaydees....) on the outer ends and put 'bar couplers' on the inboard ends. (That's a long Rapido coupler with the hook bit cut off and a slot for the T end cut into one locos coupler pocket)

Now I want to run them separately but can't for the life of me work out which Kaydee conversion set I used the first time around. It has a very short coupler box to miss the trucks and it's not the kit for the RS11, I tried that already and it's too long. There's no mention of the proper kit on the Microtrains diabolical web site, so does anyone have any idea which model no. it might be please?

Here's a pic of the one I've had installed on the loco for years.

LmDNZR.jpg

I know this is a 4 year bump but it's the obvious place for this question.  :no:

I have a couple of Kato/Atlas Alco RSD15s which I used to run as a pair so I put Kaydees, er, Microtrains (I STILL think of them as Kaydees....) on the outer ends and put 'bar couplers' on the inboard ends. (That's a long Rapido coupler with the hook bit cut off and a slot for the T end cut into one locos coupler pocket)

Now I want to run them separately but can't for the life of me work out which Kaydee conversion set I used the first time around. It has a very short coupler box to miss the trucks and it's not the kit for the RS11, I tried that already and it's too long. There's no mention of the proper kit on the Microtrains diabolical web site, so does anyone have any idea which model no. it might be please?

I think what you need is the conversion for the Kato RSD-12 which is listed as an 1154 (001 32 060). I don't believe Atlas ever made an RSD-15*, they just made the RSD-12 and the RSD-4/5 by putting three axle trucks under the RS-11 and RS-3 respectively.

Model Power/MRC did an RSD-15, and that shows 3 options, but none of them are pilot conversions.

*see http://www.spookshow.net/locolist.php?diesels=6&nonbrass=3&sortby=4&Submit=Submit

Adrian

Opps, stupid of me, sorry. Comes of reading the 'Second Diesel Spotters Guide' too much.........

I MEANT an RSD12 of course, so thanks for the part no. I couldn't find any mention of it on the Microtrains site, even though I searched under all possible titles. (and that didn't include 'RSD15'....)

Opps, stupid of me, sorry. Comes of reading the 'Second Diesel Spotters Guide' too much.........

I MEANT an RSD12 of course, so thanks for the part no. I couldn't find any mention of it on the Microtrains site, even though I searched under all possible titles. (and that didn't include 'RSD15'....)

For future reference (and for others), select the Conversions tab at the top of the screen - this gives a list of spreadsheets by manufacturer, giving a reference to the part number(s) of the recommended conversion.

Adrian

Next question.

Does anyone know a likely source for such a conversion kit in the UK please?

The perils of being 'off the scene' for 20 years or so.......

I would think that anyone who supplies MT products would be able to order it. I would doubt if it was an in-stock product at many places, though.

Adrian

Ahah, that hint about the tabs is very useful Adrian, thanks. 

I've tried 3-4 places in the UK and as you suggest no-one has it in stock,  it is a tad 'off the wall'. I may try and get it direct from MT themselves.

Ahah, that hint about the tabs is very useful Adrian, thanks. 

I've tried 3-4 places in the UK and as you suggest no-one has it in stock,  it is a tad 'off the wall'. I may try and get it direct from MT themselves.

If you have trouble finding one, I do have a set in my stash - in the old Kadee packaging.

Adrian

Thanks for the offer Adrian, I'm very grateful, but one is winging its way toward me from Oregon even as I write.

We'll see how much the UK Border Agency will make their usual mess of it getting into the UK.....

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the offer Adrian, I'm very grateful, but one is winging its way toward me from Oregon even as I write.

We'll see how much the UK Border Agency will make their usual mess of it getting into the UK.....

Which retailer did you use?

Archived