Zimo and Powercab Newbie

Tricky

Hi all, I have newly acquired the above stuff and with help from Jintyman have installed it in my 7mm Midland 0-6-0. 

My problems are purely operational

ones as I am a complete novice! 

First up is how do I reduce the sound volume? I understand F27 and F28 are what I need to change but I have no idea how to access these functions.

Second up, is there an Idiot’s Guide to be found anywhere as the Powercab instructions booklet is very hard to follow!

Many thanks in advance... 

The easiest way to gain access to the higher functions is to reprogram the 'Option' button, first. There are ways of accessing the higher function numbers using combinations of keys, but using the Option button toggles through adding 10 or adding 20 to the number you select next.

To reprogram the Option button, unplug the Power Cab, then, while pressing and holding the 'Select Loco' button, plug it back in. It will ask you to select values for a number of things, including the Cab number first. If you don't need to change any of these, just hit 'Enter' for each item, until you get to the Option key, which will have a value of 94. Change that number to 122, then hit 'Enter' again, and then 'Prog/Esc".

The cab should then resume its normal boot up process.

Once in normal operation, try pressing the Option button: you should see something on the screen that lists F10-F19. Choosing one of the numeric buttons will select that number function plus 10.

Pressing the Option button twice will allow selection in the range F20-F28.

As an example, say you wish to get function 18, you would press 'Option' then 8. That will turn function 18 on. Repeating this will toggle F18 off again.

For Function 27 to turn your volume down, press 'Option' twice, then 7. Be ready to press them again to stop the volume change, so, press 'Option' twice again, then when it reaches the lower volume you like, press the 7 key.

If you take the volume too far down, do the same procedures with 'Option' x 2 plus 8.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SRman said:

The easiest way to gain access to the higher functions is to reprogram the 'Option' button, first. There are ways of accessing the higher function numbers using combinations of keys, but using the Option button toggles through adding 10 or adding 20 to the number you select next.

To reprogram the Option button, unplug the Power Cab, then, while pressing and holding the 'Select Loco' button, plug it back in. It will ask you to select values for a number of things, including the Cab number first. If you don't need to change any of these, just hit 'Enter' for each item, until you get to the Option key, which will have a value of 94. Change that number to 122, then hit 'Enter' again, and then 'Prog/Esc".

The cab should then resume its normal boot up process.

Once in normal operation, try pressing the Option button: you should see something on the screen that lists F10-F19. Choosing one of the numeric buttons will select that number function plus 10.

Pressing the Option button twice will allow selection in the range F20-F28.

As an example, say you wish to get function 18, you would press 'Option' then 8. That will turn function 18 on. Repeating this will toggle F18 off again.

For Function 27 to turn your volume down, press 'Option' twice, then 7. Be ready to press them again to stop the volume change, so, press 'Option' twice again, then when it reaches the lower volume you like, press the 7 key.

If you take the volume too far down, do the same procedures with 'Option' x 2 plus 8.

I may be missing something but results are variable. It’s either full on or nothing. Once I see F20-F28 and then press 7, nothing happens, I just see 7 dashes as per these photos...70CF31F5-5D24-47BA-9B50-CC188EBBA368.jpeg.aed828eaa0c9b16e150464477a1d9e0e.jpeg8F5BACA2-7E8E-4A29-B470-ACADE2C20F5E.jpeg.9b4fbc1153421c028bb4831907d32e89.jpeg

And the volume is remaining the same. Eek. 

Press the 'Expn' button to see what functions are active.  Your display with the dashes is correct, because each of those dashes represents Functions 0 to 6. Any higher functions won't show on the main screen.

Note also that you have to press it a second time to get out of the active functions display, and no key presses will work while that display is active.

I'm not 100% sure which of Functions 27 and 28 work the increase and decrease of volume (if indeed those are the correct functions for your sound project) - that depends on the set up of the sounds on your decoder - I may have got them the wrong way around in the examples I gave.

Edited by SRman
Putting the 'n' back into 'Expn'!

2 hours ago, SRman said:

Press the 'Exp' button to see what functions are active.  Your display with the dashes is correct, because each of those dashes represents Functions 0 to 6. Any higher functions won't show on the main screen.

Note also that you have to press it a second time to get out of the active functions display, and no key presses will work while that display is active.

I'm not 100% sure which of Functions 27 and 28 work the increase and decrease of volume (if indeed those are the correct functions for your sound project) - that depends on the set up of the sounds on your decoder - I may have got them the wrong way around in the examples I gave.

Ok, slowly but surely I think I’m beginning to understand this malarkey - and thank you for your patience! 

This is the screen when I press expn. Does this mean that the volume control F27 and F28 won’t work whilst these are active? If so, I don’t know how to get rid of them and they don’t disappear just by pressing 7 and 8. At the moment selecting F27 and F28 don’t do anything. 

You have not sent the screen shot with what you have in the display when EXP botton is pressed.

This is likely to be one of my projects. SR man has the correct functions for F27 and F28.

F 27 will have no effect if F28 is already selected, and vice versa. Use them one at a time and cancel each of them when you have finished.

I not that F1 is not 'on' in the displays shown above. You will not notice any action from F27 (reduce volume) or F 28 (increase volume) if you have the sound turned off.

Until you get how to access these F keys, you can change the overall volume by changing the value in CV266, lower numbers give lower volume. Range is 1 - 255, but I strongly suggest you do not exceed 120. The default is 64, though Jinty may have increased this in his customisation.

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pauliebanger said:

You have not sent the screen shot with what you have in the display when EXP botton is pressed.

This is likely to be one of my projects. SR man has the correct functions for F27 and F28.

F 27 will have no effect if F28 is already selected, and vice versa. Use them one at a time and cancel each of them when you have finished.

I not that F1 is not 'on' in the displays shown above. You will not notice any action from F27 (reduce volume) or F 28 (increase volume) if you have the sound turned off.

Until you get how to access these F keys, you can change the overall volume by changing the value in CV266, lower numbers give lower volume. Range is 1 - 255, but I strongly suggest you do not exceed 120. The default is 64, though Jinty may have increased this in his customisation.

Best regards,

Paul

Oops!

40CA1A1F-604C-4D10-BC2A-A6BAC5CA79F9.jpeg.00126a8bfab2b8c1cfb418b2e1a0cc47.jpeg

This was the screen in question. 

Apologies for the earlier omission. 

I think I’m getting the hang of F27 and F28 but you have to be quick...so maybe CV266 is a better option with more control? On the Jinty info sheet I didn’t think it gave a CV number for volume control? 

If it’s your file though Paul, I’m very impressed as a first-timer! 

• Like 1

Hi Richard,

To help you understand the display shown in the picture 4 posts above (the display you get after pressing the 'EXPN' button), this is showing that the following functions are ON.

Top row (functions 1 - 14).  Functions 1 and 7 are ON.  Bottom row (functions 15-28).  Functions 17, 1827 and 28 are ON.

With the exception of Function #2 (the horn/bell) all others are latching (i.e. they stay on once turned on until they are turned off again).

Example.  Pressing 'OPTION' then '4' will turn function 14 ON until you press 'OPTION' then '4' again which will turn function 14 OFF.

On a Zimo chip (Paul will correct me if I've got this wrong) the main volume level is set with CV266, with a suggestion that 65 is the sensible highest value.

Here is a link toi the Zimo site which lists all of the CVs and what they do:  Zimo CV List  (it is, thankfully, in English)!  CV266 ('Master Volume') is on page 24.

Hope this helps,

Art

Edited by Art Dent
Corrections
  • Informative/Useful 1

Art, Function #0 is usually the headlights or directional lights on most projects (including non-sound ones). Function #2 is the non-latching one, but with the NCE Power Cab/Pro Cab, that only applies to the 'Horn/Whistle' key, not the Number 2 key (which is latching).

There were a couple of typos in your post too (I know what you meant to put, just typos, that's all :) ). That line should read:

"Top row (functions 1 - 14).  Functions 1 and 7 are ON.  Bottom row (functions 15-28).  Functions 17, 18, 27 and 28 are ON".

Incidentally, I usually reprogram the 'Bell' key too. The U.S. default is that it works Function 1, but for British sound projects, that turns the sound on or off. I Program all of my cabs to give 'Horn' = Function 3 (which is often, but not always, alternate horn tones or whistles).

Edited by SRman

G'day SRMan

Darn it! You are right.

Post in question now edited (don't want to confuse folks!)

Thanks for putting me straight (8am over here and had a tiring day yesterday!)

Art

Edited by Art Dent
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks to all the very helpful replies both on here and PMs as well. I think with your help I’ve cracked it and don’t feel quite so out of my depth as I did a couple of days ago! Ever onward as they say and I’m now looking to get a second loco (a Midland 0-6-0T) up and running. It’s been nothing but trouble as a DC and radio controlled loco so I’m expecting great things from a re-build with DCC! 

• Like 1

Hi Richard,

Glad to hear the the fog is slowly clearing.  DCC certainly has a learning curve, that's for sure!

Regarding the above post a loco which exhibits poor running on DC will not be improved simply by converting it to DCC operation.  You need to get the loco running correctly / smoothly on DC before converting to DCC operation.

Art

Edited by Art Dent
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Art Dent said:

Hi Richard,

Glad to hear the the fog is slowly clearing.  DCC certainly has a learning curve, that's for sure!

Regarding the above post a loco which exhibits poor running on DC will not be improved simply by converting it to DCC operation.  You need to get the loco running correctly / smoothly on DC before converting to DCC operation.

Art

I know this, but I have to say this particular loco has massively improved its slow running since conversion. 

2 minutes ago, Tricky said:

I know this, but I have to say this particular loco has massively improved its slow running since conversion. 

Ahh, Okay.

I mentioned it as some folks seem to think that a poorly-running DC loco will be magically transformed by converting to DCC.

Art

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Art Dent said:

Ahh, Okay.

I mentioned it as some folks seem to think that a poorly-running DC loco will be magically transformed by converting to DCC.

Art

I was fearing this with this loco but I have been very pleasantly surprised. Running is now faultless. Helped by a very nice ABC gearbox no doubt...!

One last one...

Is there an obvious reason why the loco won’t work when I plug the DCC stuff into another layout (Bristol) which was working as DC? All the DC equipment has been removed. The handset is live but the little red light on the mother board doesn’t come on. A short somewhere...?

1 hour ago, Tricky said:

The handset is live but the little red light on the mother board doesn’t come on. A short somewhere...?

I don't know of the layout Bristol nor how it is (or was) wired but assuming it is OK for DCC wiring:

Is this what you are referring to as the Mother Board?

NCE222-Sm.jpg.00008b96bc5d768a6503b9c33a8e7015.jpg

If yes have you plugged the handset  (Cab) into the correct socket? You want the left socket.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tricky said:

One last one...

Is there an obvious reason why the loco won’t work when I plug the DCC stuff into another layout (Bristol) which was working as DC? All the DC equipment has been removed. The handset is live but the little red light on the mother board doesn’t come on. A short somewhere...?

I believe that the red LED will only illuminate when the flat ribbon cable is in use and that the throttle display won't remain constantly illuminated if a short exists - the throttle display will repeatedly appear and disappear until the short is removed or, worse still, (as I understand it from what I understood by what has been posted on RMweb) the throttle may burn out.

I'd be looking at the pins at either end of the flat ribbon cable, then the connectors on that cable and the pins in the sockets. I've had one flat cable that would work at home but not on the club layout. I believe that I replaced the connectors at both ends without luck so the cable got binned.

Try putting a short across the two rails briefly and see if the throttle display disappears (and the red LED goes out). If the throttle display doesn't change the problem is with the throttle, the PCP or the cable otherwise everything would appear to be in order with the throttle, lead, PCP and power supply so I''d start looking at the loco. Can you test the loco on another system or test a different loco on the  system that you're having trouble with?