Modern road vehicles for layouts

birch1

Whilst Oxford Diecast have greatly improved things recently, I was wondering, what other 1:76 scale (or thereabouts) modern vehicles have been produced (apart from Cararama)? I think it is just nice to have a bit of variety to break the norm a little.

To start the discussion, here is one from me. Eligor have made 1:72 scale models of the last two versions of the Iveco Daily on behalf of the Iveco fan shop. Both don't seem to come up for sale that often now however, I got the older version from someone in France!IMG_20190710_185116249.jpg.9b365a11462936c8f8db40574e224498.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Check out the Tomica range. Though they are to 'Fit the box' scale a few models are to or very near to 1/76 scale. One very good current model is the Yanmar YT5113 tractor, #83. You can almost use it straight from the box and its 1/76 scale.

• Thanks 1

You could also look up TINY CITY from China, another range containing a variety of scales, and unfortunately not all stated on their website. A couple of nice 1/76 models are the Isuzu N and Hino 300 light trucks, becoming quite common here in real life.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, fodenway said:

You could also look up TINY CITY from China, another range containing a variety of scales, and unfortunately not all stated on their website. A couple of nice 1/76 models are the Isuzu N and Hino 300 light trucks, becoming quite common here in real life.

They also have a short wheelbase low roof Sprinter which works well with a few simple mods

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can get various versions of Mercedes SK (artic, 6 wheelers in various guises) from Kentoys/Wheelers. I think they might be 1:80 much like cararama but don’t look too out of place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Norm81 said:

You can get various versions of Mercedes SK (artic, 6 wheelers in various guises) from Kentoys/Wheelers. I think they might be 1:80 much like cararama but don’t look too out of place.

Kentoys are 1/72.

As a fairground transport modeller, one frustration is the complete lack of any modern 4x4 crew-cab pickups in OO as these can be seen at every fair towing caravans, kiddies' rides and catering trailers. I did manage to find a couple of toys that are based on US-market pickups not sold in the UK and aren't quite the right scale but are good enough in the absence of anything else.

Matchbox Honda Ridgeline in 1/69 scale with some added detail painting

A1CCA.jpg.8a8720e94495d196f5136341e2daee60.jpg

Motormax Toyota Tacoma of indeterminate scale but compared with the Oxford trailer it seems about right 

JT54TAY.jpg.6b37d0487ea12f414a577d7e8b65a927.jpg

Motormax also made a Mark 2 Land Rover Discovery in 1/72 that goes well with the various Cararama Land/Range Rovers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, quicksilvercoaches said:

As a fairground transport modeller, one frustration is the complete lack of any modern 4x4 crew-cab pickups in OO

I have a couple of 1/76 Ford Rangers which I had 3D printed - not cheap though!

20190830_202630.jpg.f3122b5372608b914844a7aa62d5eb81.jpg

Edited by Ragtag
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, quicksilvercoaches said:

As a fairground transport modeller, one frustration is the complete lack of any modern 4x4 crew-cab pickups in OO as these can be seen at every fair towing caravans, kiddies' rides and catering trailers. I did manage to find a couple of toys that are based on US-market pickups not sold in the UK and aren't quite the right scale but are good enough in the absence of anything else.

Motormax Toyota Tacoma of indeterminate scale but compared with the Oxford trailer it seems about right 

Motormax also made a Mark 2 Land Rover Discovery in 1/72 that goes well with the various Cararama Land/Range Rovers.

Tomica produce a Toyota crew cab pick-up. Only thing is as they are 'fit the box' scale its 1/71 scale so might be a bit too big.

On 30/08/2019 at 12:19, quicksilvercoaches said:

This would be good would it not? 1:71 a smidgeon overscale but passable...

EF86EED3-8A1E-4D29-8ACB-55C1BD37D4D3.jpeg

• Like 1

On 31/08/2019 at 16:58, ianmacc said:

Search eBay for 1:71 to 1:80 Scale as search terms (but not 72 or 76 as you will be inundated!). It’s amazingbwhats out there including construction plant crawler cranes stretch limousines etc! 

Here are a few random vehicles!

E79D2146-35F7-4D5D-87CF-803516DFA958.jpeg

Can anyone confirm or disprove that the claimed scale of the commando is correct, or even close? (in case pic doesn't show it claims 1:77 for "Matchbox Lesney Dodge Commando")

Edited by ChrisH-UK
clarification in case quoted image doesn't show
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ChrisH-UK said:

Can anyone confirm or disprove that the claimed scale of the commando is correct, or even close? (in case pic doesn't show it claims 1:77 for "Matchbox Lesney Dodge Commando")

Having had a couple back in the 80s and 90s as a kid/ teenager on my layouts they looked right. That said I wasnt as scale aware as now as I used mainly H0 vehicles due to no usable 00 back then.  I think a new set of wheels and a paint job and they’d be a great period vehicle.  I would probably keep the smiths crisps artwork as it screams 80s! 

That vehicle will turn up in 50p boxes quite easily I’m sure. In fact I’m going to check the local flea market in my lunch hour today...

Edited by ianmacc

The lower front panel is about 4mm scale, but the top half of the cab isn't tall enough and the door is severly shortened so the cab as a whole is too small. With some heavy filing to the windscreen area I magaged to improve the overall appearance from the front, so it could possibly be used parked in a loading bay where the side view couldn't be seen.

Matchbox_Dodge.jpg.d9f41175efcd019892f0c7f422141ffd.jpg

Still far from perfect, though that front lower panel is quite good if a little flat. The lorries they made in the mid to late '60s were much better proportioned, though to smaller scales. A few were H0, but most drifted between H0 and TT.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The top half of the cab is too short. Add to that the width of the door is narrow too so side on it just doesn't work. My cheat was to lower the bottom edge of the windscreen. This visually works as on the actual Commando there's no vertical step up to the windscreen, instead there's an angled slope. Compare the original Matchbox with the real thing. The other alteration I made was to file a curve into the panel underneath the door, a quite obvious feature of the real cab which gives more of the roundness lacking in the original model.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, ChrisH-UK said:

There used to be someone here on RMweb who was (is?) building a model of Birmingham New Street in P4. He produced road vehicles to populate thestreets of the layout and he converted a couple of the Matchbox models. The principle modification was to raise the roof by about 2mm.

12 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There used to be someone here on RMweb who was (is?) building a model of Birmingham New Street in P4. He produced road vehicles to populate thestreets of the layout and he converted a couple of the Matchbox models. The principle modification was to raise the roof by about 2mm.

He also did the corgi cargo to great effect. 

No luck at the flea market but I did see a lot of matchbox and Lesney etc at £1 each

Edited by ianmacc
Lesney came out as Lesley for a Pound!!
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Jim Smith-Wright's P4 New Street.  

http://www.p4newstreet.com/lorries

• Thanks 1