Modern road vehicles for layouts

birch1

• RMweb Premium

That was a few years ago, a few other suitable vehicles have come along since. The Atlas 'World of Stobart' series has a few good examples such as the DAF roadsweeper and a 'Club of four' cabbed Renault. These can now be found quite cheaply at swapmeets or on E-bay.

On 05/09/2019 at 20:08, PhilJ W said:

Theres also an estate car version in the same scale.

Yes a few EE on eBay but all appear to be liveried examples of one type of another. I cannot see any plain on there. Did find an Avensis in 00 Scale though that looks very useful indeed. 

C12834F1-F105-4954-A342-75F0E8768A1F.jpeg

15CE3ACA-FA75-4603-AF9D-BDEC2FB82511.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Yes a few EE on eBay but all appear to be liveried examples of one type of another. I cannot see any plain on there. Did find an Avensis in 00 Scale though that looks very useful indeed. 

C12834F1-F105-4954-A342-75F0E8768A1F.jpeg

15CE3ACA-FA75-4603-AF9D-BDEC2FB82511.jpeg

I have a couple of those. Tomica produce some models to or very close to 1/76 scale but their range is constantly changing so grab them while you can.

You used to be able to pick up the Joy City  / Automax 1.72 scale MAN  F2000 trucks  everywhere for buttons. They seem to have disappeared now but they still come up on Ebay . The F2000 was current 1994-2005 so would suit any of last three decades.

They came with a variety of bodies and could be transformed with a bit of matt paint on wheel centres etc.

s-l1600a.jpg

s-l1600 (18).jpg

Edited by JCB 3C no.2
layout
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, JCB 3C no.2 said:

You used to be able to pick up the Joy City  / Automax 1.72 scale MAN  F2000 trucks  everywhere for buttons. They seem to have disappeared now but they still come up on Ebay . The F2000 was current 1994-2005 so would suit any of last three decades.

They came with a variety of bodies and could be transformed with a bit of matt paint on wheel centres etc.

s-l1600a.jpg

s-l1600 (18).jpg

Actually they are closer to 1/76 than 1/72.

On 08/09/2019 at 21:43, PhilJ W said:

I have a couple of those. Tomica produce some models to or very close to 1/76 scale but their range is constantly changing so grab them while you can.

Sadly that Toyota is far too new for me. Know of any 80s-era Japanese cars to watch out for from Tomica? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Sadly that Toyota is far too new for me. Know of any 80s-era Japanese cars to watch out for from Tomica? 

I have a book on Tomica models and unfortunately there is very little if anything from that period in 1/76 scale or even near to it. Most Japanese cars were extreamly small (Kei cars) and as Tomica, like Matchbox make their models to fit the box they are usually 1/64 or larger scale. The models that are closest to 1/76 are some light trucks such as the Mitsubushi Canter or some American cars (and a Chevrolet pick-up and van) produced in 1/77 scale. There was a confectionary company that in the 80's produced something similar to Kinder Egg that contained 'snap-together' kits for cars such as the Nissan Micra that are about 1/78 to 1/80 scale but these are possibly extinct by now.

22 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I have a book on Tomica models and unfortunately there is very little if anything from that period in 1/76 scale or even near to it. Most Japanese cars were extreamly small (Kei cars) and as Tomica, like Matchbox make their models to fit the box they are usually 1/64 or larger scale. The models that are closest to 1/76 are some light trucks such as the Mitsubushi Canter or some American cars (and a Chevrolet pick-up and van) produced in 1/77 scale. There was a confectionary company that in the 80's produced something similar to Kinder Egg that contained 'snap-together' kits for cars such as the Nissan Micra that are about 1/78 to 1/80 scale but these are possibly extinct by now.

Wish I had known about those in the 80s as a child. Cars and chocolate in one pocket money hit! If you find out the maker please let me know. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ianmacc said:

Wish I had known about those in the 80s as a child. Cars and chocolate in one pocket money hit! If you find out the maker please let me know. 

I had obtained them through E-bay several years ago and they arrived minus wrapping and confectionary. Each kit came in an egg sized capsule, the smaller cars were near to 00 scale but the larger ones were nearer H0 scale.

23 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I had obtained them through E-bay several years ago and they arrived minus wrapping and confectionary. Each kit came in an egg sized capsule, the smaller cars were near to 00 scale but the larger ones were nearer H0 scale.

If ever you get the chance I’d like to see the range and even pics please? Is there a maker’s name on the base? I know there was an Italian toy maker who had the kinder contract when I was a kid (forgotten it now). 

• RMweb Premium

I passed on those I didn't want  and the rest a stashed away somewhere so I'll have to search them out. They are very similar in quality and detail as the Kinder Egg Smart Car. There is no indication as to maker on the models or containers.

• 2 months later...
On 01/09/2019 at 20:26, ianmacc said:

This would be good would it not? 1:71 a smidgeon overscale but passable...

EF86EED3-8A1E-4D29-8ACB-55C1BD37D4D3.jpeg

I bought one of these but it's sat around for a while even though all I did was add numberplates. It's quite big even next to Cararama models so best kept away from Oxford and the like, but still usable. The caravan is a 3D print from Shedring Railway, a one-off as far as I know. It's very much the done thing for showmen to have personalised plates on their 4x4s and there are no prizes for guessing the name of this one's owner!

SM11THR.jpg.893dc604bbced8c6add2b780a1889083.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Discovered today in Tesco's. Matchbox Nissan Titan Warrior pick-up, looks near to 1/76 scale but at only £1 you cant go wrong.

They are listed as  1/64 scale, so possibly a bit large for 4mm

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, PhilJ W said:

Matchbox describe most of their models as 1/64 scale even when they patently are not. The prototype in this case is 19 feet long. The Matchbox model is 3 inches long which makes it spot on 1/76 scale.

For the princely sum of £1, I will have to purchase one....

(We had a Nissan Warrior - not a Titan though - as a hire vehicle in the US about 2 years ago - entirely appropriate for South Carolina/Georgia as we "fitted in" with the locals. All it was missing was a gun rack in the cab!)

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 23:51, PhilJ W said:

Matchbox describe most of their models as 1/64 scale even when they patently are not. The prototype in this case is 19 feet long. The Matchbox model is 3 inches long which makes it spot on 1/76 scale.

How many times do you see on eBay people listing ‘matchbox lesney’ as ‘1/75 Scale’?! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...