Platform Oil Lamps

• RMweb Premium

I will be redoing my Goathland station diorama with the new Hornby Hogsmeade Buildings and wish to add the oil lamps this time. They seem to be maroon tapered lamp stands and I was wondering is anyone can recommend a good supplier of these? What have people used in the past? Ease of wiring would be good too as I’m not very experienced in that side of things, having used DCC for the longest time now. Something could have interior building lighting integrated would be even better. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Would it be better to use a separate controller just for the lighting? 

Regards, Ryan 

Edited by Hilux5972
Added content

• 1 month later...

I have the GWR version. They are 60mm tall without the extensions. Not seen many oil lamps taller. 

Wiring is straightforward as they contain grain of wheat type bulbs not LEDs so no polarity issue. They are supplied with a control circuit that allows you to adjust the brightness.  DC or AC supply but it needs to be a regulated supply so either check the output with a volt/multimeter or use a wall adapter as suggested (info sent to my by DCC concepts who make the boards). The boards have sensibly sized solder pads to attach the input/output wires.

I have no connection with either Gaugemaster or DCC concepts other than as a customer and have only just installed my sets.

• RMweb Premium

The heads are brass, posts are plastic. 

They are ok, but generally need a strip down, flash removed and a repaint. 

The lamps on the bridge there are the gaugemaster ones, but I rebuilt them, made the covers less fancy and shortened them a bit. There are very similar ones available direct from china at lower prices, but they need a bit more work. All of them are too bright, for a few add extra series resistors or the pwm type dimmer that come with the gaugemaster ones. 

I just tried soldering a short length of 0.7mm brass wire to the ends of the very fine wires. This fits through the hole needed for the lamp base and small choc block connectors will grip it (unlike the very fine wire) and it’s easier to get into them too. Needed to be able to remove my lamps to work on the platforms off the layout.