Heljan 3526 hymek 7015

cowside

The Heljan lighting is not sophisticated. On DCC, turn on F0, and that's it! Lights will show the headcode and white marker light at the front, and a red tail light at the rear. Reverse the direction and the lights will swap ends too.

• RMweb Gold

I also recently put a Hattons 8 pin four function decoder in my new Heljan Hymek and cannot get the lighting to turn on, I am using Gaugemaster Prodigy express the motor works fine just the lights. Was considering removing the body and seeing if there are any switches that have been turned off.

Maybe you have the chip 180deg out?

I believe the motor will still run, but other functions i.e. lights won't

I know you are supposed to insert the chip (which should have a mark indicating pin 1)

into the Loco socket (which will also have a mark indicating pin 1) with both pin 1 marks lined up-

however I know from experience that often the mark doesn't exist or is not so obvious.

Might be worth taking the chip out and turning it around.

(before you remove the body to turn the chip around it might be worth stabbing all the Function buttons one at a time,

sometimes its just on a different button/function

Regards

Keith

Edited by Talleng
to add stab all function buttons before opening loco up
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I also recently put a Hattons 8 pin four function decoder in my new Heljan Hymek and cannot get the lighting to turn on, I am using Gaugemaster Prodigy express the motor works fine just the lights. Was considering removing the body and seeing if there are any switches that have been turned off.

There arent any switches on the circuit board, Heljan's internals are very simple (thankfully), most probably its the chip plugged in the wrong way round

• RMweb Gold

Going by my experience on the Heljan Class 33/1 it's probably a combination of decoder wrong way and/or the lights just aren't that bright (assuming the Hymek is bulbs instead of LED's like the 33).