MRJ 273

MartinWales

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Subscription copy arrived yesterday. Lots of shiny nickel silver on display. No advert or diary entry for Scaleforum (28/29 Sept, Stoke Mandeville) which strikes me as odd. There is a advert and diary entry for ExpoEM Autumn...

Open the mag and on the right hand page is an advert for The Scalefour Society Stand. In very small print near the bottom is a mention of the Aylesbury event.

A bit odd given the prominence of an event that is long past.

Time for a cuppa and a look at all that shiny metal.

Bernard

• Agree 1

Bought mine earlier, sat down to read it with a cup of coffee and a huge portion of 'bread pudding' from Cardiff Central Market.

Another excellent issue - of which Templefield appealed to me.

It's roots appear to be based in 'Carron Road'  of many moons ago, but with a 'Western' leanining certainly caught my attention.

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, br2975 said:

Bought mine earlier, sat down to read it with a cup of coffee and a huge portion of 'bread pudding' from Cardiff Central Market.

Rebel..........

10 hours ago, br2975 said:

Now where do you think I bought the 'bread pudding' ?

Wanted a change from 'bakestones' (Welsh cakes).

Cardiff Central Market is a great place - used to buy loads of sausages from Morgan's in the corner. But now buy from Martin Player at Whitchurch.

This is a most interesting thread drift! So far nobody has (again) mentioned having to pay by cheque and post it off. Or stock in Smith's at Ealing. And now having to pay by just the four issues - well .......

Another cracking issue to inspire something in everyone.

2 minutes ago, decauville1126 said:

Cardiff Central Market is a great place - used to buy loads of sausages from Morgan's in the corner.

But now buy from Martin Player at Whitchurch.

Another cracking issue to inspire something in everyone.  (seconded !)

Is that the shop in Blandon Way, just off Merthyr Road ?

When I worked in Whitchurch, it was a regular stop for the 'award winning sausages'

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Abergwaun said:

Brian, IF you are a very good boy you can have a Proper Welsh Cake at The 33rd Cardiff Model Railway Exhibition. The misses says that bake stones are what Welsh Cakes are made on, no wonder you want to change to Bread Pud

I think your Welsh cakes are safe Graham. Brian is far too naughty. 

My copy of MRJ 273 arrived this morning (27th September). I phoned Cygnet Magazines yesterday and told them that my subscription copy had not arrived. During the course of the conversation I was told that this had happened to 7 or 8 people with issue 273.

I must admit that I do not understand what goes on at Cygnet Magazines. I have bought MRJ since issue 1 and I have had a subscription for several years. I have grown accustomed to the delays but this time I think things have gone too far. Yes I know there was a breakdown at the printers (I phoned Cygnet Magazines about a week ago enquiring about issue 273) and that that caused delay but I cannot understand why they could not have told us that they were having problems. It is easy enough to put an announcement in RM Web. Am I the only one who feels that his customer loyalty is being abused. I must admit that I am left wondering how many customers MRJ would have lost if Bob Barlow's Finescale Railway Modelling Review had not been cut so tragically short.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

With Cygnet/MRJ being famously ‘analog’ it’s highly unlikely any announcement would be made using digital media. That’s not to say your complaint isn’t valid, just that this isn’t the first time there’s been similar delays, so it’s sort of normal.

I don’t think MRJ would have lost many readers to FRMR, I think they would likely have coexisted and complimented each other quite well. I had subscriptions to both, as did a number of my friends.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I think we have been spoilt by the regularity of the other magazines who all seem to hit their arrival dates, month in month out. 

I would venture that they benefit from being much bigger operations than MRJ which has always struck me as a 'cosier' operation. 

That matches the content which more often than not,  is not the more 'mainstream' content seen elsewhere. 

The monthly speculation regarding the arrival of the next issue by members posting on Rmweb ( annoying for some) has become part of the MRJ 'ritual ' for many of us but I prefer to think of it as 'character'

Come on now, MRJ cannot be held accountable for a problem at the printers. These things happen. For many, MRJ is the only month 'must have' magazine, myself included. 

Long may it continue, quirks and all. 

Rob. 

20190705_180203.png.7d87c60c1b336f4f2c326fb5373e3120.png

Edited by NHY 581
Sausage hooves.
  • Agree 8