MRJ 273

MartinWales

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Worth waiting for whatever the delay IMHO, and I have Correos to factor in as well!

I never realised watching the TV soaps affected delivery times in the wet lands.  (your local reservoir full yet?)

I live & learn.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

I never realised watching the TV soaps affected delivery times in the wet lands.  (your local reservoir full yet?)

I live & learn.

You're going to have to get that word blindness problem sorted out P!!

Reservoir still steadily filling, up to the road level of the old bridge at the mo, so probably around half full.

Mike.

Anyone know where my MRJ is? I remember it arriving and having a quick look then we had visitors and it disappeared, could the 'Startrek' modeller have taken it by mistake or could madam have 'tidied' it away because visitors were coming, I just don't know. Hey Ho.

Dave.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

This morning before venturing up to Aylesbury for Scaleforum,  I went to Smiffs in Ealing only to find it closed,  so I got my copy at the show. Upon returning to Ealing this afternoon I find that Smiffs is now in the Broadway shopping centre. For the record when I looked it had 6 copies.

By the way it looks to be a smashing edition.

• RMweb Gold

28 minutes ago, grahame said:

Is this issue thread going to be record breaking? We're on the 4th page and still no mention of sausages or discussion about the contents.

Kind of you to  ask.

I had some very nice Czech sausages for dinner. Nice, smoky flavours in a beer/tomato/hot pepper sauce. Not sure about the contents but they tasted splendid.

Rob

4 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Upon returning to Ealing this afternoon I find that Smiffs is now in the Broadway shopping centre.

Ahhhhhhh! Thank you.

I hadn't realised how much I  missed the Ealing reports with the demise of our learned fiend.

P

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Craigw said:

Did you use the magazine as a garnish with the sausages?

Magazine perused whilst consuming said sausages. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

HP sauce with sausages, disgusting.

The only thing to accompany sausages is good ol' proper English mustard - just powder and a little water freshly mixed to a paste. And non of that pseudo commercial confection that masquerades as mustard and is made with vinegar/acetic acid to preserve it.

31 minutes ago, D-A-T said:

It is in my humble opinion the only magazine. Others may have the odd article that piques my interest but MRJ is a cover to cover read. Despite the unusual number of spelling mistakes in this issue!

Hmm, they probably can't blame the electronic predictive auto-corrector.

• Funny 1

#273 arrived in yesterday's post on this far distant shore. I was most delighted to see the article by Tom Knapp, who I have known from the early 1970's. I saw Tom this past Sunday (September 22) at a NMRA Coast Division meeting in Alameda, California.  Had a brief conversation while he was setting out goods for the auction. Unfortunately I had to leave the meet shortly thereafter. 

One note of correction on Tom's article that may have been written some time ago and would be unlikely to be picked up by a UK editor. Grandt Line, the US manufacturer of architectural and Rio Grande specialty items is alas no more as the owners retired.  It's factory was only 3 miles from my home.  It has reappeared now after being sold as San Juan Details who appear to be getting most of the Grandt Line catalog back in production. Tichey continues to up the game in plastic molded window parts. The HO scale sets I picked up from my local hobby shop yesterday contained glazing and laser cut window shades.  Northwest Short Line has also undergone a change of ownership and is back in business.

Edited by autocoach
  • Informative/Useful 4