Elbow Lane. Having a rest while I build board 4.

dasatcopthorne

• 3 weeks later...
  • dasatcopthorne changed the title to Elbow Lane. Preparation for the extension resumes.

So it's back to preparing for the extension.

Lots of bits have been ordered as well as some pick ups at Warley.

Of course. an extension means a bit more stuff to fit on the control panel. Earlier I had decided to move thing to the left on the panel, drilling new holes etc. The facia would be very difficult to remove and fit a replacement because of the way I built it. Then yesterday a brain wave happened. I would cut out the area that the switches occupy and fit a new facia over the top.

So today was spend removing the switched etc. en mass,  Printing and laminating the new plan and fitting the switches to it. Lastly some adjustment to the routing of the wiring.

Hey presto! And it all works.

Dave.

20231120_091946.jpg

20231120_111849.jpg

20231120_112616.jpg

20231120_125431.jpg

20231120_125505.jpg

• Like 3

A new board needs a new cable to connect it to the controls and power etc.

A new cable has been made up using my usual DIN-Sub plugs and sockets and wired myself.

Different from previous cabling, I have chosen ready made breakout boards for the board ends on the cable. Saves all the fuss of cutting out a mount for the DIN-Sub sockets and mounting them to the boards. Wiring feeding the cable at each end can be be screwed down instead of soldered.

Extensioncable1.jpg

20231121_131308.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

For the extension board O have decided to use a slightly differing method for feeding all the droppers.

This central block will be used as a single distribution point for the track bus.

I chose one with eight connections each side and a plastic cover.

You're probably getting the gist by now that I'm trying to minimise fiddling with wires and a hot soldering iron. I would have used pre-formed D-Sub cables but the wire used is a bit too thin for possible DCC currents.

Dave.

20231203_122902.jpg

Edited by dasatcopthorne
  • Informative/Useful 1

Whilst I await space to put the extension board together, I've been messing about with little bits and pieces.

Along the back 'wall' of the board will be a high lever wall with these arches on the front. There are from Lcut Creative. Avery well thought out kit.

The bridge on Elbow Lane is from the same manufacturer.

Also put together a couple of Wills lineside cabinet kits. on what will be a concrete base.

Dave.

20231204_115355.jpg

20231204_115419.jpg

20231203_143734.jpg

• Like 11

Along the rear of the extension board and behind the parapet I proposed to have a row of 'cottages'.

Found on the www and played about with, duplicated and joined together.

I'm hoping to obtain some specially 3D printed doors and matbe some window frames to add depth.

Dave.

20231206_190506.jpg

20231206_190518.jpg

20231207_210232.jpg

Edited by dasatcopthorne
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • dasatcopthorne changed the title to Elbow Lane. Preparing for a small extension.
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

A small update on the housing.

Friend Tony Jeans has now printed some doors with recessed panels.

However, because that would make the door quite think I asked him to make the recessed panels actually holes. I am then able to back them with coloured card.

Dave.

20240107_105408.jpg

20240107_105354.jpg

Edited by dasatcopthorne
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

As the window prints have gone so well, I decided to ask my friend if he might be able to produce a window style for one of the layout's old buildings.

This is a window produced to fit the R. Swypp building. It's looking very promising. Whilst the current 'printed' facia seems to work well, I want to put lights in some windows.

D.ave.

20240122_105025.jpg

20240122_105034.jpg

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• dasatcopthorne changed the title to Elbow Lane. Appearing at the Erith Club's show this weekend in Longfield, Kent.
  • RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Graham T said:

The funny is for the name!

As is the round of applause

However I believe the building was formally owned by a shoe maker Mr.R.Sole, although that might be cobblers

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

New Kid on the Block.

Thanks to a Bargain from Rails, this Class 45 D15 has just arrived,

Sound chip has also arrived from DC Kits and there is enough room under the body to fit a Zimo Double Dumbo, There's even a pre wired plug so all that's needed is to solder the wires to a speaker.

Dave.

20240124_144351.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • dasatcopthorne changed the title to Elbow Lane. Appearing at the Tonbridge show on 17th Feb.
  • RMweb Gold

It was great to meet you at Tonbridge today Dave, and thanks for patiently answering all my questions. I've passed a very enjoyable evening reading your thread and am grateful to you for taking the time to reinstate the missing photos. Looking forward to seeing Elbow Lane again soon. Cheers, Andrew

• Thanks 1

On 22/01/2024 at 11:11, chuffinghell said:

As is the round of applause

However I believe the building was formally owned by a shoe maker Mr.R.Sole, although that might be cobblers

I recall that back in the 1980's there was a shoe repairers in Jamaica Road, Bermondsey called R Soles !!!!

By the way, a shoe maker is a cordwainer. (Reminds me of a character in Round the Horne with a similar activity).

Edited by wainwright1
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• dasatcopthorne changed the title to Elbow Lane. Self praising posts. Surely not !

Mmmmmmm! 

I've just looked back at some of  my earlier posts and it looks as though I'm praising myself. 

What was is that early post were made under the name of Elbow Lane as I was hiding the fact it was me building a layout. Then the Admin combined the two authors and now the posts under the Elbow Lane author look a be silly.

Sorry.

Dave.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, dasatcopthorne said:

…..looks as though I'm praising myself……

Well deserved praise though! 👍

My layout was going to be called Elbow but not knowing the difference I called it Ar*e 🤪

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Funny 2

• dasatcopthorne changed the title to Elbow Lane. New (old) EMU added in to stock

Not being satisfied with just the same EMU serving Elbow Lane all the time, I have dug out another unit from storage.

Completed on 28th Dec 1983, this one presented a little more difficulty in getting a hard wired 8 pin socket and a chip in the guard's van. (A Zimo MX600R from Coastal DCC has been used).

This is because partitions are in place and fixed between the van area and the cab & passenger compartments.

I could have hard wired the chip to the motor but I like to have a socket so if a change of decoder is needed then it's easy peasy.

Thanks to Strathpether Junction for making the breakout sockets available. Excellent items.

See the Tim Hal at Abrail l next week.

Dave.

20240223_173628.jpg

Edited by dasatcopthorne
  • Like 10

• dasatcopthorne changed the title to Elbow Lane. Having a rest while I build board 4.