4472 to 60100 'Spearmint'

Hello all, its taken me a while to get round to posting this. Here on the workbench, we have a Railroad A1/3 'Flying Scotsman', who else? A cheap(ish) buy on ebay. 

SAM_1449.JPG.ceb01ce9a250af671c6664c3c50d52c8.JPG

I imagine we are all fairly familiar, so what horrifying mutilation do I want to inflict upon this innocent A1? Well as you will have no doubt worked out from the title, I want to turn it into an example of her classmate one '60100' Spearmint, a Haymarket machine all of its days. Specifically, this condition is what I'm aiming for.

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-BRITISH-RAILWAYS-EASTERN-REGION/TYPE-A-462-LOCOMOTIVES/i-Q9d3V95/

So in no particular order the main visual changes are, smoke deflectors, double chimney, banjo domn and new tender. Its is this last that drove me to make this thread, to model Spearmint successfully, I'll need an example of a non-corridor 'group standard' tender, I think it's called. Fortunately Hornby has made one for its examples of 'Windsor Land' and 'The White Knight', however a search of eBay yields no results. Its got everything you want, but nothing you need. So I would like to as if anyone has one going space, if they got get in touch with me to arrange an exchange. 

Here's the original tender for comparison.

SAM_1450.JPG.05578320fcedf08dabe54e62a14976ae.JPG

If not I could modify the above, or take one from another model in my collection. 

SAM_1453.JPG.79b739c85717e458a453e3166e254894.JPG

On top of that I will need to source a double chimney and banjo dome, how should I go about painting the wheels? Should I get new ones?

SAM_1456.JPG.6c596eb3a6dbffdf5555db83774c73b8.JPG

Also, as you can observe in the photo of Spearmint proper, there is a kind of sliding hatch, just beneath the smokebox door, I imagine to inspect the conjugated valve gear in the shed. Any ideas on how that could be modelled?

Yours

ScR 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Thanks Hilux, unfortunately that one is a semi streamlined example, you can see the cowl at the front end, a little difficult as the black paint does blend in with the coal.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, scots region said:

Thanks Hilux, unfortunately that one is a semi streamlined example, you can see the cowl at the front end, a little difficult as the black paint does blend in with the coal.

Would be easy enough to trim with a sharp scalpel. I did this with my USA Scotsman as the tenders rear bulkhead was curved over the top, rather than stepped as it actually was.

8504438B-65D8-418E-99D3-B855854706BE.jpeg

56A465A5-B030-4341-AD82-8002331C8B3B.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Would be easy enough to trim with a sharp scalpel. I did this with my USA Scotsman as the tenders rear bulkhead was curved over the top, rather than stepped as it actually was.

Yes, but not at the best part of £30 for the tender body!

Anyway, I pulled out Windsor Lad to see if body would fit, in the process I managed to destroy the screw on 4472s tender. Now I've discovered that I can't simply swap the bodies, so what I'm thinking is that I could simply use the tender off of 'Lad', until I get a new screw 4472s is down. But what then to do about the pickups, should I just remove them? I don't really think they add that much to the performance.  

On 25/08/2019 at 12:34, scots region said:

I want to turn it into an example of her classmate one '60100' Spearmint, a Haymarket machine all of its days. Specifically, this condition is what I'm aiming for.

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-BRITISH-RAILWAYS-EASTERN-REGION/TYPE-A-462-LOCOMOTIVES/i-Q9d3V95/

A Scottish engine all its days, but not always a Haymarket engine - it got around a bit. In fact, that prototype picture of the condition you want actually shows it wasn't always allocated to Haymarket. It is of 60100 at St.Margaret's shed, carrying a 64A shedplate. It was withdrawn from there.

• Informative/Useful 1