Lawrence and Goddard

God evening everyone,

I keep seeing Lawrence and Goddard items popping up now and then on eBay.

The certainly look like beautiful models but wondered if anyone can fill me in further as there is nothing about this 'manufacturer' online.

I assume they were a kitbuilding and painting firm based solely in the UK? If they are hand painted I can only assume their employees were coach painters by trade, I'd never get the detail like that if I tried :-)

Mike.

Thank you all for the above posts, it has certainly helped me to understand the origins of these models a lot better.

By the sounds of things Larry Goddard is someone who Id like to spend some time with in his workshop learning his painting techniques..... Its a shame he is no longer on this forum.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Mike1220 said:

By the sounds of things Larry Goddard is someone who Id like to spend some time with in his workshop learning his painting techniques..... Its a shame he is no longer on this forum.

He's [Larry G] still active on the forum Western Thunder. http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/corwen-east-junction-station.7829/page-14#post-191226

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Shop around and their vehicles can be much cheaper. Prototypes vary in value, of course. So Bulleids in both greens and blood-and-custard have been on ebay at nice prices once or twice. I bought several in rakes at an average price per vehicle of less than £60.  

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Denbridge said:

I know this is an old thread, but beware of eBay listings that claim a model is from Lawrence or Goddard. Often they aren't. Some sellers add the names to ramp the prices.

Would you be thinking of our friend Gostude amongst others?

• Agree 2

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, Brimstone said:

The estimates for some of the beautiful O gauge stuff are pretty low, I should say. Almost worth a trip to the States… GWR Dreadnaughts etc… and a cornucopia of unbuilt 4mm kits too.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, exet1095 said:

The estimates for some of the beautiful O gauge stuff are pretty low, I should say. Almost worth a trip to the States… GWR Dreadnaughts etc… and a cornucopia of unbuilt 4mm kits too.

Paul

But is that the right place to sell them?

Even with the internet it is a niche market. Add in the carraige cost and a lot of potential buyers could be put off.

Some years ago SWMBO wanted to sell a very specialized musical instrument. A London dealer who she knew said he would give her £250 for it. He then told her that it would fetch well over £1000 in the states. He offered to take it over on his next trip and when he came back he gave her £1050. She did not ask how much his expenses came to in selling it as she was more than happy with the deal. Horses for courses.

Bernard

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1