GWR loose heel switch joggles in O-MF

dpgibbons

I'm modelling early GWR and I intend to use O-MF standards for my pointwork.

Is it feasible to model GWR loose heel switches complete with authentic joggles in O-MF? I ask because the S4 track building literature says that the tight tolerances required for the joggles mean that it's not practical in EM.

Thanks!

Hi

i have modelled joggles in stock rails in 7mm, there are some photos in my Porth Dinllaen thread.

in brief, I cut a slot in a piece of brass (about 25 mm square - exact size doesn’t matter) of the correct thickness (about 1mm ?) for the joggle.  The depth of the slot is a little greater than the height of the rail, the width of the slot is the distance along the rail from the inside of one bend to the inside of the other.  I then took an offcut of rail, placed it in the slot and squeezed the whole thing very firmly in the vice.  I align the rail along the vice jaws, and the slot vertical.

This will distort your brass  and the rail.  Throw away the offcut of rail.  Try again with another piece of rail, and ensure you have smooth jaws in the vice.  You should get a smooth joggle of the appropriate size & offset.  You might need to adjust thickness or make the slot wider (so cut it a little small to start with), but these are simple filing jobs.

You will need LH & RH joggles - you can do as I do, and use the same tool for both, or make a handed pair.  I still manage to get the rail upside down occasionally, but I’ve learnt.  Concentrate!

You could solder a flange onto it to reduce the requirement for three hands when setting it up in the vice.  I never got around to doing that.

Can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work in other scales

atb

Simon

• Thanks 1

On 29 August 2019 at 00:22, dpgibbons said:

I'm modelling early GWR and I intend to use O-MF standards for my pointwork.

Is it feasible to model GWR loose heel switches complete with authentic joggles in O-MF? I ask because the S4 track building literature says that the tight tolerances required for the joggles mean that it's not practical in EM.

Thanks!

It's entirely practical in EM - that's where I started doing it 20+ years ago. I made up a small tool, which I still use in 7mm scale (and 0-MF), by milling a step in a block of steel, cutting it in two and after placing one half over the other, drilling the pair for a couple of location pins. I dare say that the same could be achieved by building something up out of thicker scrap etch or strip. 

That apart, joggling certainly does work in 0, 0-MF and 0-SF.

Jim 

On 31/08/2019 at 08:06, jim.snowdon said:

That apart, joggling certainly does work in 0, 0-MF and 0-SF.

How about a slight alteration to the above given that you have joined the S7 Group?

I include the joggle in all of my S7 GWR turnouts and everything is tickety-b00 (or ought that to be tickety-bS7?)