Western Pullman Set

Oliver Rails

Latest Update on the Bachmann Western Pullman set is that the stock is due mid September.

We are pleased to announce that the 6 Car Unit and the Dynamis Ultima are now available to pre-order individually!

Click here for more info

We have had many requests from customers to seperate the Western Pullman set and sell the digital sound 6 car Western Pullman unit individually. We are therefore offering a limited amount of these for only £675

The Dynamis Ultima complete with the Railcontroller software is also available to pre-order for ONLY £149.50 (50% off the current RRP Price £299.95)

The OO scale Bachmann Branchline Western Pullman Ultima Train Set is a train set like no other. The exquisite 6-car OO scale Western Pullman in BR Grey & Blue livery, SOUND FITTED in both power cars, combines with the Dynamis Ultima DCC system to ensure you get the full effects of the lighting and sound features built into this ground-breaking model. The set also includes a large oval of track.

1513739079_Screenshot2019-08-29at08_03_10.png.9b98f71aef8fefe9f92b7d512bb869a9.png

• Like 1

Excellent you are doing this. I suspect Bachmann were trying to force people to buy their Dynamis product probably to reduce their stock of them, by combining the Western Pullman with it. Bit of a farce. It is about time Bachmann were not so cocky in everything they do.

Edited by marksouthdown
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

41 minutes ago, marksouthdown said:

Excellent you are doing this. I suspect Bachmann were trying to force people to buy their Dynamis product probably to reduce their stock of them, by combining the Western Pullman with it. Bit of a farce. It is about time Bachmann were not so cocky in everything they do.

That is a very bold statement to make and could be taken further if somone at Bachmann were to see it

While it may seem a phenomenal amount for a train, when you allow for what it costs to twin sound a Hornby Class 800 with sound and half decent speakers, then the prices are similar or not far apart, and you get an extra coach with this.  very good move by Rails and others to split the set as they have - won't be getting one, just an interesting comparison to my recent addition of sound.  I assume that most people will treat this as a flagship 'one-off' for the layout. 

I think Bachmann may have misjudged the market here. I have no interest whatsoever in having a DCC controller and track I don't want or need. I'm also not fussed about sound as I have a DC layout and nothing else has sound. I know some others are fanatical about it but not me. £675 is still a lot to pay but not as unattractive as wasting £132.46 more on things I neither need nor want.

Edit - Kernow Model Centre are also offering the train for £675.

Edited by robertcwp
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, D9001 said:

When the original price was announced it was comfortably out of my ball park. This reduction is making me think about it.......AAAAGH!   My wallet is sweating! The wife will kill me! 

Just buy the N gauge version and you can sneak it into the house in your pockets, plus it's half the price of the OO version.

7 hours ago, robertcwp said:

I think Bachmann may have misjudged the market here. I have no interest whatsoever in having a DCC controller and track I don't want or need. I'm also not fussed about sound as I have a DC layout and nothing else has sound. I know some others are fanatical about it but not me. £675 is still a lot to pay but not as unattractive as wasting £132.46 more on things I neither need nor want.

Edit - Kernow Model Centre are also offering the train for £675.

Rails are also offering the set minus the controller and track - from memory around the same as Kernow's price.

Still out of my reckoning ... but also still tempting! :dontknow:

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, GEOEng03 said:

While it may seem a phenomenal amount for a train, when you allow for what it costs to twin sound a Hornby Class 800 with sound and half decent speakers, then the prices are similar or not far apart, and you get an extra coach with this.  very good move by Rails and others to split the set as they have - won't be getting one, just an interesting comparison to my recent addition of sound.  I assume that most people will treat this as a flagship 'one-off' for the layout. 

Yes but the class 800 is a brand new tooling. The Pullman is 8+ years old. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Yes but the class 800 is a brand new tooling. The Pullman is 8+ years old. 

Not sure I understand the point. The tooling may be older, so has been used for two runs rather than one like the 800, but I can’t imagine that there’s been any appreciable change in moulding quality.

If it’s a cost comparison, the BP has had a change to the front end tooling which costs money and the BP has interior lights which the 800 doesn’t. I also suspect that the number of separately fitted parts are far higher on the BP than the 800. 

I have both and they are individually great models.

5 hours ago, SRman said:

Rails are also offering the set minus the controller and track - from memory around the same as Kernow's price.

Still out of my reckoning ... but also still tempting! :dontknow:

Indeed, and their announcement was what started this thread.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I also suspect theres much more mileage in the 800 into the future for different liveries / names given the volume made, where as the Pullman is a bit limited in scope and doubt people will buy more than 1 of them.

There were only two 6-car sets. They did run in multiple but did so in grey/blue only from their final overhauls early in 1970 until October 1971, after which 12-car working was abandoned and the sets were split and mixed with 8-car ones to form four 8-car sets.

• Moderators

Bachmann have produced a rather good video of the Western Pullman in action and explanations of the features.

There's a bit of overlap in content with regard to functions but I also took a look at the lights and sounds for the review in this month's BRM.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, paftrain said:

It would be great if Bachmann were to sell the sound decoders separately so those of us who have already purchased the Midland Pullman can upgrade our models.

That would be great. alright.

Interestingly they are Zimo decoders and not ESU that Bachmann usually use.

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, 47164 said:

How about an analogue version with out all the useless sound gimmicks!!.. and no track or controller!.

It can be arranged, for the same rrp as with the gimmicks, i’m sure.

Edited by adb968008

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, 47164 said:

How about an analogue version with out all the useless sound gimmicks!!.. and no track or controller!.

Useless to you maybe but it will give significant enjoyment to others.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Useless to you maybe but it will give significant enjoyment to others.

I would much rather have had the choice of a DCC-ready version without sound too, instead of paying £675 for a version with sound that I don't have any interest in. At least, thanks to Kernow, I won't be saddled with a controller and track I don't need either.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I'm not sure multiple different versions is the way to get the cost down. Production lines tend to work better if they don't have to keep chopping and changing the spec. There's also the chance that there will then be some of one variant leftover, so the price has to be set to include this wastage. Retailers splitting the sets works better as they will know what they can sell on afterwards.