Western Pullman Set

Oliver Rails

32 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I'm not sure multiple different versions is the way to get the cost down. Production lines tend to work better if they don't have to keep chopping and changing the spec. There's also the chance that there will then be some of one variant leftover, so the price has to be set to include this wastage. Retailers splitting the sets works better as they will know what they can sell on afterwards.

Bachmann are listing several forthcoming diesel releases in sound and non-sound versions, so I don't see why it's so difficult. I remain of the view that Bachmann misjudged the market on this one, as already evidenced by several retailers advertising the trains separately from the track and controller.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robertcwp said:

I would much rather have had the choice of a DCC-ready version without sound too, instead of paying £675 for a version with sound that I don't have any interest in. At least, thanks to Kernow, I won't be saddled with a controller and track I don't need either.

Nothing to stop you taking the deoders out and selling them seperatly. Im sure there plenty with the midland Pullman would consider buying them for there sets.

• Like 1

Just now, meatloaf said:

Nothing to stop you taking the deoders out and selling them seperatly. Im sure there plenty with the midland Pullman would consider buying them for there sets.

I might just do that, good idea.  My naking blue one came DCC fitted and I took the chips out of that and it ran much better on DC as a result.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Thats precisely what i plan to do with mine.

i only want the DC version.

so controller, track, box, and DCC sound chips will go to that great colourful website and will happily make the cost of my DC Western Pullman worthwhile.

i may record the sound file first to my iphone, so i can bluetooth it to a speaker in one of the coaches.

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

i may record the sound file first to my iphone, so i can bluetooth it to a speaker in one of the coaches.

What you really mean is you do want sound but you don't want to pay for it!:D

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, melmerby said:

What you really mean is you do want sound but you don't want to pay for it!:D

I don't run DCC, i’m DC only.

So sound is nebulous.

At least with Bluetooth I get a full sound array, its just played using 21st century technology, rather than 20th century.

admittedly it only costs £5 for as many sounds as I can bear to put up with.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

So sound is nebulous.

At least with Bluetooth I get a full sound array, its just played using 21st century technology, rather than 20th century

What's 21st century about Bluetooth & mobile phones?:jester:

Bluetooth enabled mobile was available in 1999.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Steamport Southport said:

Never mind all this. 

When are we getting a "proper" Western version. :derisive:

I'll buy one, nobody else will. Psst anyone got any unbuilt Kitmaster going cheap. :rofl:

Jason

I worked in Birmingham overlooking the Moor Street viaduct.

I used to see the Western versions in Nanking blue every day.

They were something different to the Castles & Kings on the LBWs

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Never mind all this. 

I'll buy one, nobody else will. Psst anyone got any unbuilt Kitmaster going cheap. :rofl:

Jason

Unlikely. There is only one type of car in common between the two and three new body toolings would be required for an 8-car. The Kitmaster one was a 6-car too.

Edited by robertcwp
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Never mind all this. 

Jason

Pick up some old Triang coaches and driving cars and convert them with Southern Pride's inserts.....http://www.southernpridemodels.co.uk/ & try source some of the Genesis Kits cabs and bogies and there you have it!

• Administrators
On 06/09/2019 at 20:43, robertcwp said:

Bachmann are listing several forthcoming diesel releases in sound and non-sound versions, so I don't see why it's so difficult. I remain of the view that Bachmann misjudged the market on this one, as already evidenced by several retailers advertising the trains separately from the track and controller.

Traders have been splitting sets up for years. I remember watching someone in Hattons, 2 shops ago, open a Hornby Flying Scotsman set and split it so a customer could just buy the controller. The loco, coaches and track into specific cubbyholes as this was regular practise. Presumably, you believe that Hornby "misjudged the market" on that set too?

At the moment, I can't see how anyone loses with this arrangement. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

Traders have been splitting sets up for years. I remember watching someone in Hattons, 2 shops ago, open a Hornby Flying Scotsman set and split it so a customer could just buy the controller. The loco, coaches and track into specific cubbyholes as this was regular practise. Presumably, you believe that Hornby "misjudged the market" on that set too?

I totally agree with your post Phil.

However both Bachmann and Hornby don't allow/approve of splitting sets or anything else. Hornby if I recall correctly stated that doing so would negate the Warranty as it compromised the packaging. That was the official line, not aware of any amendment to those terms and conditions. Bachmann have always stated we couldn't split sets, although the practice is very common and I have never known anyone in the trade reporting a Warranty issue as a result of doing so.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I dont think the market this set is aimed at is necessarily people on this forum. Its clearly aimed at the returning modeller - possibly retired, or with children having left home. They want to start a new hobby. Hornby did something similar with top end train sets a few years ago.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

What proportion of other train sets get split up? I suspect rather less than will be the case with this one, but only time will tell. Bachmann are the ones who lose out as they could probably have sold the same controllers for more separately. The track is a trivial irrelevance.

37 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

However both Bachmann and Hornby don't allow/approve of splitting sets or anything else. Hornby if I recall correctly stated that doing so would negate the Warranty as it compromised the packaging. That was the official line, not aware of any amendment to those terms and conditions. Bachmann have always stated we couldn't split sets, although the practice is very common and I have never known anyone in the trade reporting a Warranty issue as a result of doing so.

The fact that several retailers, including what I suspect is now the largest retailer of Bachmann, have been advertising split sets in advance of delivery suggests to me that this is being done with Bachmann's agreement or acquiescence. Most other sets only get split to dispose of remaining stocks after they have been on sale for a while. Not this one.

Edited by robertcwp
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I dont think the market this set is aimed at is necessarily people on this forum. Its clearly aimed at the returning modeller - possibly retired, or with children having left home. They want to start a new hobby. Hornby did something similar with top end train sets a few years ago.

I think you are correct. That was exactly the target market, also as a way of introducing them to DCC and sound, which may not have been around when their hobby was interrupted for 20 years by other things.

On 06/09/2019 at 21:57, adb968008 said:

So sound is nebulous.

At least with Bluetooth I get a full sound array, its just played using 21st century technology, rather than 20th century.

I enjoyed your video, it really cheered me up on a dismal Monday morning!

The layout is very interesting, helped it would seem by having a "proper" roof in your attic rather than one with trusses. I'd be curious to know how many levels it runs on, and if these are all inter-connected? It does look like a lot of fun, which of course is what our hobby should be all about.

Finally, I can only pay tribute to your miniature Salford bus drivers, who seem to have manoevered their vehicles into remarkably tight spots!

John.

John

• RMweb Gold

Thanks my layout is a proper old fashioned trainset, chaos managed in an orderly way. scenery can wait until I retire, just power on and play trains.

It’s 4 levels, plus a triangle, and an 8 shape on one of the lower levels. Holds around 100 locos and 30 odd rakes of stock in platforms, A total climb of 3 ft from top level to bottom level and a series of  different 15m radius circles with variations possible, plus 6 terminal branch lines, sidings, loops. All runs to a timetable, all manual  and dc ! All types of rtr track plus a few custom pieces, when it comes to stock if it passes the test on my layout it will run on anyone’s, it’s fun !

:-)

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/09/2019 at 12:12, Widnes Model Centre said:

I spoke to a Bachmann rep at a large exhitition over a year ago about this set. I explained that I wanted the train but not the track and controller. I questioned the logic of the trainset only approached. He assured me that retailers would split the sets and even suggested the name of someone to contact in a particular retailer. 

The practice is common and it is crazy that Bachmann discourage it on one hand but not only turn a blind eye to it but positively encourage it on the other.

To conclude I can see the reason to discourage splitting of entry level systems sold at a competitive price to encourage entry to the hobby. However for the Pullman set it does not make sense.

• RMweb Gold
On 09/09/2019 at 12:12, Widnes Model Centre said:

My local emporium  has a fixed section between the new stock and the secondhand for items split from current sets from both Hornby and Bachmann . Not just loco's but coaches, wagons, set track and controllers all available separately. This is a major outlet  and they have been doing this for at least the past 20 years so I doubt the manufacturers discourage the practice. 

On 07/09/2019 at 10:33, JiLo said:

Pick up some old Triang coaches and driving cars and convert them with Southern Pride's inserts.....http://www.southernpridemodels.co.uk/ & try source some of the Genesis Kits cabs and bogies and there you have it!

I already started that a few years ago copying an article in one of the magazines. The problem is getting the Triang trailer cars for a reasonable price. They still go for silly money and when you add up the final cost of all the parts then you are getting close to the price of the Bachmann version.

Jason