2mm Association AGM and STEAM 2019

antyeates1983

Since no-one seems to have posted so far, I thought I would create a thread for this event next weekend (7th and 8th).

In particular, I have a request: are any 2mm members around on the Sunday and able to assist me with the operation of Corrieshalloch in the main exhibition? Mrs Y. has offered to help if necessary but isn't overly keen, so some assistance, even for part of the day, would be welcome. Saturday is already covered. If you can help, please email me at the 2mm magazine editor address.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to my foray into GW territory, and hope to see you there!

Anthony

• Like 3

Hi folks,

Sorry Anthony for hijacking your post.  I have a similar request for help in operating Ashburton on Saturday and/or Sunday.

B2F1765A-CDEE-4412-838F-C62500BEF279.jpeg.75fe81c7561d663305bcbd5f73cb9cf8.jpeg

Private message me via RMweb if you can help. If you do it in time, I may be able to get you in as an operator.

best wishes, 

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to everyone for organising an excellent day. I had the pleasure of helping John BS with Ashburton; Cardiff life is certainly helping improve my GWR tolerance!  Quite something for a confirmed LMR and GC section man. Congratulations to all those who won awards. The standard really was excellent.  Dr Nick's special brand of madness being just enough to win him the Groves Trophy for his 9F amongst stiff competition.  A big thank you to Tim Watson for his patient explanation of what he's been doing with his B3 Valour build. Thanks also to Steve and Bryn for good craic in the Glue Pot post the AGM.  Looking forward to next year's festivities already.

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Like 2

A quick run-down of the competition results;

Groves Trophy (best kit/scratchbuilt loco) - BR Standard 9F 2-10-0 92008 - Nick Mitchell

Ballantine Quaich (best converted/modified proprietary loco) - Midland 2F loco - Jerry Clifford

Dreadnought Trophy (best passenger & NPCS rolling stock) - rake of ex-LMS, Southern & BR CCTs - Keith Gloster

John Barker Trophy (best rolling stock) - Rake of GWR vans - Richard Brummitt

Malcolm Stone Award (non-rolling stock) - Yeovil Town shunting tractor - Laurie Adams

Steve Sykes Award (pre-grouping items) - Rake of GWR open wagons - Ian Smith

Willis Cup - no entries therefore not awarded this year

Member's Choice Cup (best model as voted for by those members present) - rake of ex-LMS, Southern & BR CCTs - Keith Gloster

Chairman's Trophy (best model as decided by the Association chairman) - rake of Catfish ballast wagons - John Russell

Geoff Balfour Memorial Award (given to the person who is considered to have best promoted 2mm scale modelling and the Association through writings in the British modelling press during the past year) - Nick Mitchell for his series of Youtube videos on building an LMS Jubilee Locomotive.

Mike Bryant Cup (services to the Association) - the East Anglian wheel elves (loco and rolling stock wheel assembly teams)

Geoff Jones Layout Trophy (best 2FS layout exhibited during the past year) - Modbury - Ian Smith

New committee - same as the old committee except that Matthew Wald has replaced yours truly as Secretary. Now I've got one less excuse for not getting any modelling done!

Thanks to Tony Wright for judging the competitions and presenting the trophies to the winners, and to all those involved in organising the day.

Andy

(ex-Secretary)

Edited by 2mm Andy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Donw said:

I was very sorry not to be there. Falling from a High Stepladder which toppled over and landing on my back put paid to attendance.

I look forward to seeing any photos.

Don

Sorry to hear that Don - hope you're on the mend.

Tony Wright photographed the entries for the competitions and has posted some photos here;

Andy

Hi everyone,

i had a fine time at STEAM, Swindon. Ashburton behaved well, despite its (and my) advancing years.  The venue was stunning but much too much for me to take in during brief relief from operations - clearly a more leisurely further visit is called for. Also, it was great to have an all-too-hurried chance to look at the excellent competition entries at the AGM and to meet some good old friends.

All this was made possible by the helpful venue staff and, more particularly, to relief operators/roadies Jerry C, Simon G and Tom E. Thank you greatly, and also not least to Caroline BS who helped with loading and unloading back at the ranch.

5DC39638-A1A9-4D2D-BA96-9F604096CDD7.jpeg.b3fa78bbd48f44faaa16c75e0653b5f9.jpeg

Look very carefully on the footplate in the centre of the splasher.

F9DF3BA5-6EC3-4C2C-A37F-79674A277AB5.jpeg.6f20c68ddeef02c59a861b7bc95a3c5a.jpeg

Here is a clue!

A great weekend!

John

• Like 12