Correct sized rope for 4mm use

Full sized rope comes in many sizes so it will depend on what you are trying to depict, ropes for mooring small ships can be around 3" diameter so 1mm cord, and normal cotton thread for any smaller diameter rope.

Edited by Campaman
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, michaelp said:

As part of the quayside section of my layout I need some suitably sized rope but have no idea of the thickness needed.

If anyone can help with the size that would be great.

Thanks in advance

I think the first question is - how big are your boats? Mooring lines come in a variety of thicknesses. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not being facetious, but it does depend very much on what size vessel you are tying up. A dinghy would use something akin to  a heavy clothes line, a cruise ship something you couldn't encompass using both hands (and probably a steel hawser at that). 

Rather how thick is a piece of string than how long.

Glad you've brought the subject up though as I have a quayside to detail as well so will take a trip down to the harbour in Porthmadog  for smaller sizes' and maybe up the coast to Holyhead for the larger ones (another excuse to take a trip out on my new toy) I'm out this weekend but will report back next week if no suitable answers are forthcoming.

Beaten to it by above answers but, What scale? 

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring ropes belong to the boat not the harbour..

A 20ft fishing boat would have a mooring rope of less than one inch,  1/3 of an mm in 4mm scale

A 40ft fishing boat would have a mooring rope of  noe more than inch  and a half,  1/2 of  of an mm in 4mm scale

A 60ft would have a mooring rope of no more than 2 inches,  2/3 of an mm in 4mm scale

This is supposing it's old fashioned natural rope..

Modern ropes are incredibly strong..

3mm dyneema holds 1.1 tons but it's expensive.. £2.00 a yard.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1