Mystery 0-6-2T

Retro_man

My friend picked up this diecast 0-6-2T at an auction here in Canada and we have been unable to identify its make or type of loco that it represents (if any).

It looks similar to an early Dublo N2 but there are some differences to the body and chassis.

The motor drives the central axle rather than the rear axle of the Dublo N2 and there are no makers marks inside the body,

The photos show it next to a Dublo N2 for comparison.

Any help with the identification is greatly appreciated.Body_side_comparison.JPG.b5db56b6bb55e2aaa722b329279b46f6.JPGChassis_side_views.JPG.cc3bacef5d3e7e7e3e859a455e35adc1.JPGInside_comparison.JPG.d6a777118761ed8fcf3c83530e40b129.JPG

I don't think this body is diecast.  All the parts of bare metal in the photo seem to be brass.

I suggest a pre-war model.  The chassis photo doesn't show any obvious pickups so can't tell if it is centre-third or two-rail.

Frank

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, alastairq said:

Essar, perhaps?

I think the Essar N2, along with those from Trackmaster and Gaiety (and Hornby Dublo) had undersized wheels in right-sized splashers.

This one seems to have oversized splashers to make the body fit over correct (or near correct) diameter wheels, which rather sets it apart from the herd. 

I've often wondered why, at a time when there were so few r-t-r locos to be had in OO, and there were umpteen different prototype 0-6-2Ts to choose from, everybody (or so it seems) made an N2. 

My own guess is that the chunky shape and parallel boiler made it far-and-away the easiest to produce as a one-piece casting.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

It's Bonds, very recognizable by the shape of the cab cut out, and the magnet which was the one they also sold for rebuilding Bing table railway electric locos. Photo or two to follow if and when I unearth my horde of pre war Bonds catalogues!

Cheers, Mark.

• Thanks 1

On 30/08/2019 at 17:57, Mark Carne said:

It's Bonds, very recognizable by the shape of the cab cut out, and the magnet which was the one they also sold for rebuilding Bing table railway electric locos. Photo or two to follow if and when I unearth my horde of pre war Bonds catalogues!

Cheers, Mark.

Thanks Mark,

That is really very interesting and I am looking forward to seeing your photos.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Steve

Canada 

• Like 1