Drummond Class 700 Locos at Exeter

JST

I know a few of these were allocated to Exmouth Junction because I saw them there as a young trainspotter when I lived in Exeter. What I don't know is what routes they worked from Exeter and what they were used for. I am guessing it was for local goods stuff but did they go up the Barnstaple line?

The reason I ask, is my layout is based on the workings of Exeter St Davids and I am toying with the idea of buying one of the Hornby Class 700 locos and what to know if it would ever have been seen at St Davids station.

Thank for any input.

• RMweb Premium

Strangely I never knowingly saw one at Central! Saw them at E. Junction and the last two there as snowploughs in early '63. They used to get out to Yeoford and Crediton  and so you have the go ahead to use two. Somewhere I have a photo of one shunting Yeoford Goods. I could also check the Exmouth Junction workings for you if you want that info.

Phil 

• RMweb Gold

It hath been rumoured that one once worked the 3.13 Perishable from Padstow in 1960. Certainly Irwell's North Cornwall Railway (Wroe, much supplemented in the 2008 version by 2ManySpams of this parish, and others) says as much, but notes that 700s were relatively unusual beyond Okehampton. 

For St Davids, not a problem. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Oldddudders said:

It hath been rumoured that one once worked the 3.13 Perishable from Padstow in 1960. Certainly Irwell's North Cornwall Railway (Wroe, much supplemented in the 2008 version by 2ManySpams of this parish, and others) says as much, but notes that 700s were relatively unusual beyond Okehampton. 

For St Davids, not a problem. 

Oh yes Dudds, I remember that fable. I can categorically state that I never ever saw one at Plymouth. Certainly St David's is a given. I reckon the OP needs 3, don't you? In fact I shall go and have a good browse now as I need some R & R.

P

Thanks guys! I knew you could help. I don't think the budget will run to three but I will certainly order one.

I used to live in Monks Road, Exeter and you could see Exmouth Junction from my bedroom window. Me and my mates used to "bunk" Exmouth Junction (or the Junkshop as we called it) and I remember seeing class 700s there but I have no recollection of ever seeing one in service - but then, it was a long time ago!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

JST....from my book "The Okehampton Line" (Nicholas & Reeve):

30691 noted in Tavistock Yard with an Up Plymouth Goods in May 1959:

30691 at Cowley Bridge on an Up North Devon Goods in 1960 (when?);

in the late 1950s a regular summer Saturday, early morning Barnstaple Goods, returning to Yeoford on an up passenger local and then home to Exeter piloting an up Express (picture of 30317 doing this  on 18th July 1959 at Crediton).

There were three 700s at Exmouth Junction from '59 to early '63, two kept for Snowplough Duties only. Stored at St David's Shed, ready for the off to scrap in spring 1963.

I can not find any rostered 72A duties for 700s west of Exeter from late '60 onwards, however I am sure I have a written spotter's report of a 700 shunting Milk tanks at Seaton Junction in 1960 or '61/'62. I could also dig that out if you are desperate.

ATB

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Informative/Useful 2

Thanks Mallard. That is brilliant. Interesting that they also did local passenger work and that one ended up at St Davids shed. All fits well with my layout requirements. I have now ordered one from Hattons - £59 strikes me as a bargain.

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I can not find any rostered 72A duties for 700s west of Exeter from late '60 onwards

SR email group has some files with engine workings in 1962. No. 562 is a 700 class on freight from Exmouth Jn to Barnstaple and back, taking about 12 hours for the round trip.

Rail online has a picture of 30315 at Barnstaple in 1956.

There is also a picture of 30317 at Barnstaple in 1961 on the web.

Eric

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

30691 noted in Tavistock Yard with an Up Plymouth Goods in May 1959:

30691 at Cowley Bridge on an Up North Devon Goods in 1960 (when?);

in the late 1950s a regular summer Saturday, early morning Barnstaple Goods, returning to Yeoford on an up passenger local and then home to Exeter piloting an up Express (picture of 30317 doing this  on 18th July 1959 at Crediton).

There were three 700s at Exmouth Junction from '59 to early '63, two kept for Snowplough Duties only. Stored at St David's Shed, ready for the off to scrap in spring 1963.

I can not find any rostered 72A duties for 700s west of Exeter from late '60 onwards, however I am sure I have a written spotter's report of a 700 shunting Milk tanks at Seaton Junction in 1960 or '61/'62. I could also dig that out if you are desperate.

ATB

Phil

There was an up goods that came through Axminster (about 10am IIRC) on weekdays in 1961/2, which I always took to be an Exmouth Jn. Yard - Yeovil working, and which was 700-hauled a lot of the time.  I remember one driver grousing because he'd been lumbered (his word) with an M7, which wasn't up to the task and he had to keep on stopping for water.

The usual alternative would be a 'N' which became the norm after the Black Motors went, though a 'W' 2-6-4T turned up occasionally during their relatively short sojourn down west. 

I think all 700s were officially withdrawn around October/November 1962, but the snowplough pair at 72A worked into/through the severe winter of 1962-3 which started in earnest, quite suddenly, on Boxing Day.

At some point after the worst of the winter was past, they were dumped at the (by then) closed shed at St David's and replaced on plough duties by a couple of Collett goods, 2214 and 3205 (the latter since preserved). I remember seeing those parked up, fitted up with ploughs, well before (or after, I don't recall which) any snow would have been likely the following winter so I guess they didn't get much other use.  3205, being of somewhat tidier appearance (and in lined green IIRC), was selected to take part in a noted railtour, "The Exmoor Ranger" on 27th March 1965. That may be what got it selected for preservation as I remember being told by someone at the Junction that "the scruffy one" (2214) was the better engine. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bude_branch said:

If it's the picture on Page 39 of The Withered Arm by TWE Roche, the date quoted is 9th June 1960.

Not my source (that was BR Operating History..Xpress Publications) so thanks for that.

I have just been reading in 'Exmouth Junction Fireman' about a trip the author did following the heavy winter snow and then consequent flooding of the area in early '63, in a 700 to Yeoford where they had to throw out the fire in the loco and leave it in a siding as flood water was up to the ashpan area.

P

6 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Here's one of the three (30689/697/700) that were at the site of St. David's shed in August 1963 (the shed had been demolished by that time):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80572914@N06/7390457776

One of those three (30700) ran to Eastleigh under its own steam for scrapping. I have a photograph (not taken by me, so I can't post it) of it on Yeovil Town shed on its way to Eastleigh.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

That photo has reminded me that I desperately want a Z class but nobody makes one. I know you can get a body to fit a Hornby 8F chassis but the cylinders and valve gear are just not right.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JST said:

That photo has reminded me that I desperately want a Z class but nobody makes one. I know you can get a body to fit a Hornby 8F chassis but the cylinders and valve gear are just not right.

Nice kit available (is it still?) but not a straightforward build. Someone could do it for you and you could paint it (saving a few bob), however I suspect you might need a mortgage extension to deal with that! I think Alton Model Centre used to keep the kits?

Phil

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, pH said:

Here's one of the three (30689/697/700) that were at the site of St. David's shed in August 1963 (the shed had been demolished by that time):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80572914@N06/7390457776

One of those three (30700) ran to Eastleigh under its own steam for scrapping. I have a photograph (not taken by me, so I can't post it) of it on Yeovil Town shed on its way to Eastleigh.

I think 700 was the only operational one after early spring 1963 (after the snowplough twins 689 and 697 had done their thing up on the moor and one had broken a main driver spring and the other blew a cylinder IIRC) and the twins had then been 'stripped' for spare parts. 

The Motors had really been redundant since the mid/late 50s being shoved aside, mainly by Ns and Standard Tanks, however my book says that they were able to get into Yards and down small sidings where the heavier engines were not permitted, hence the retention of the three at 72A.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Nice kit available (is it still?) but not a straightforward build. Someone could do it for you and you could paint it (saving a few bob), however I suspect you might need a mortgage extension to deal with that! I think Alton Model Centre used to keep the kits?

Phil

The DMR Z kit os an etched beauty.  Not straightforward I agree, but not difficult in that its well designed and goes together without any issues.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, DLT said:

The DMR Z kit os an etched beauty.  Not straightforward I agree, but not difficult in that its well designed and goes together without any issues.  

Yup, the late Geoff Brewin built me one but didn't quite get the bunker 'problem shape' correct as he did not know! Still made a fine job of it otherwise.

I passed that loco on sometime ago, to my regret, however I had another unmade one, but unfortunately I sold that as well. Doh!

• RMweb Gold

There is a Peter Handford (ex Argo Transacord) "Southern Steam" audio recording from 1958 of No 30317 piloting a West Country out of St Davids up to Central.

The train was assisted in the rear by one of the E1/R bankers. There is no mention of the origin of the train - Okehampton or Barnstaple lines. The 700 may well have been attached for pathing convenience rather than work LE back to 72A. The WC sounded in fine fettle and the 1 in 37 gradient would have posed little problem for even one of these notoriously "slippery" engines, given the load and a good shove in the rear by No 32124.

• RMweb Premium

Ref something I mentioned earlier. In another of my books "Men, Machines and Maintenance at Exmouth Junction" (excellent personal memories from Robert E Trevelyan), there is further mention of the BMs during ther 62/63 winter and a bit later.

according to the author; 700s were favoured engines across the South Western District of the SR and the last remaining members were withdrawn in December 1962. 72A along with Guildford and Eastleigh retained some engines into 1963 as they were 'literally' indispensible and in 30697's case immovable (stuck in snowdrifts); it had been going to assist the other two 30689 and 30700 that were also marooned. 31846 went to rescue it after 4 days. However this chilly time only lasted a few more weeks for these three engines as two Q Class loco's were sent to replace them for Ploughs and the 700s were all laid up. However, a year later (11th January 1964) 30697 was steamed again to haul 34067 to Eastleigh; the last working of a BM on the SR.

I had forgotten about the Qs and also about the 700 hauling Hurricane (through Seaton Junction for both these sets of engines of course...…) and the Qs couldn't have stayed long as the WR 32XX were brought in later as mentioned. Well, the WR had taken over the SR west of Salisbury in January 63. Pah!

Phil

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Right Away said:

There is a Peter Handford (ex Argo Transacord) "Southern Steam" audio recording from 1958 of No 30317 piloting a West Country out of St Davids up to Central.

The train was assisted in the rear by one of the E1/R bankers. There is no mention of the origin of the train - Okehampton or Barnstaple lines. The 700 may well have been attached for pathing convenience rather than work LE back to 72A. The WC sounded in fine fettle and the 1 in 37 gradient would have posed little problem for even one of these notoriously "slippery" engines, given the load and a good shove in the rear by No 32124.

This was a regular working at that time from Yeoford, as mentioned a little earlier and as you say, a pathing move for the 700, but it also acted as Pilot up to Central saving a Station Pilot/Banker. Great fun for modellers; I have never seen a model of St David's and Central on two levels with the incline as a feature between the two stations...………………….oh dear, what have I just said? SR and WR and a steep curved incline; what an idea eh?

P

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I would have loved to model Exeter St Davids, Central and the bank in-between but sadly although my loft is 30ft long it is the wrong shape! This is why I just content myself with running stuff that would have been seen at St Davids.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JST said:

I would have loved to model Exeter St Davids, Central and the bank in-between but sadly although my loft is 30ft long it is the wrong shape! This is why I just content myself with running stuff that would have been seen at St Davids.

Some great signals and also two interesting Signal Boxes + Red Cow Crossing, one of the widest Xings on the system I believe. Great fun. Especially as you can just have the incline disappearing off scene and have some interesting SR engines appearing and don't forget the 'diversions' due to 'problems' east of Exeter St D.

P