Oxford Diecast Citroen H van - a warning

quicksilvercoaches

A shame indeed, especially as there have been highly-detailed versions of the H van available (in plastic) from some of the European manufacturers for some time. I had hoped that this might have been the start of a group of small foreign commercials in 1/76, but I won't be parting with any money this time.

• Agree 2

If it's a model it doesn't do a job, save to please the eye or jog the memory. For me it does neither. I don't ever recall seeing them while they were current either. I wouldn't object though, to seeing them on a period French layout, adding to the atmosphere, in which case being H0 is actually a bonus.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Quite frankly I'm not interested in a vehicle that is not common in the UK and is only imported because it is 'trendy'. Several commissions and special liveries are in the pipeline so that seems to be the intended market.

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

If it's a model it doesn't do a job, save to please the eye or jog the memory. For me it does neither. I don't ever recall seeing them while they were current either. I wouldn't object though, to seeing them on a period French layout, adding to the atmosphere, in which case being H0 is actually a bonus.

14 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Quite frankly I'm not interested in a vehicle that is not common in the UK and is only imported because it is 'trendy'. Several commissions and special liveries are in the pipeline so that seems to be the intended market.

Yes, I agree. I don't recall having ever seen one driving down a road in the UK. And they're ugly enough to be head turning and memorable.

And, as for incorrectly scaled/sized (or labelled) vehicle models, that is not a new thing. Bachman produced a range of buses under their Scenecraft brand intended for British N/2mm modellers but they were made to an inconsistent scale that was even smaller in some dimensions than the continental 1:160 scale making them far too small for British 1:148 (or even 2mm 1:152) scale. 

It's great to have the scale (and incorrect labelling) drawn attention to, but it's probably not worth making a fuss about. It might be best to just ignore the model. After all it's not exactly a popular must have vehicle for British layouts, but would very much be at home on a European based one as mentioned.

G

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Missing the clever move here. Small is far away...…..park it so that the forced perspective effect is applied. Alternatively, park it behind a building or even in a closed garage so that it isn't seen.

Bonjour vous opposants.

E. Macron

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Missing the clever move here. Small is far away...…..park it so that the forced perspective effect is applied. Alternatively, park it behind a building or even in a closed garage so that it isn't seen.

Forced perspective only works when everything else in that distant far away area/zone is made to the diminished scale. You'd need to make the roads, buildings, street furniture and other nearby vehicles and figures to the same smaller scale. And you couldn't have any trains running through that zone otherwise they'd look oversize.

I like the idea to park it out of view thou.

G

• Funny 2

Pity the Citroen H is 1/87.. Being a resident of Dover in the 1940s to 1970s I was very familiar with the H and its other dustbin colleague the 2CV fourgonette. Every cross channel ferry had one or both, though when dispersed to the hinterland and beyond that certainly made them a rare beast. From what I recall they were popular with the wine trade and antiques traders so might not have got far beyond London or Brighton.

• Like 1