Stock for SR?

F2Andy

Not sure if this is quite the forum, as I am not asking about a trackplan, but it is layout planning, so fingers crossed...

Following a recent holiday in the New Forest, and am considering the possibility of a small layout inspired by Lymington, probably U-shaped, with a quay, set between the wars. This would be N gauge, and I am wondering what stock is available, preferable RTR. I can see a terrier, but no other tank engines (I do not envisage a turntable). The only coaching stock I have found is corridor, which is probably not appropriate. I would consider an EMU if there was one that was right, but I must admit I am not sure what that would be (the Lymington branch was the last steam hauled line, so probably none are right).

I suppose at a push I could head westward and do the usual panniers and praires...

3 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Available suitable Locos include 700 M7, 02 to name just 3. There are the Hornby Maunsell rebuilds plus Kernow gate stock as non corridor, though gates are linked by a corridor.  Hornby Maunsells are highly suitable as well.

The OP says N gauge 

Only locos I can think of are Dapol terriers and the old m7 which I'm not sure if its still in production. Probably too far east but Graham farish do the N class and C class. 

Carriages:

Dapol maunsells

Graham farish 4 cep

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

The OP says N gauge 

Only locos I can think of are Dapol terriers and the old m7 which I'm not sure if its still in production. Probably too far east but Graham farish do the N class and C class. 

Carriages:

Dapol maunsells

Graham farish 4 cep

Oops. Sorry missed the N bit. It's me age!

• RMweb Gold

Of course, on Southern metals, you were also likely to see an Ivatt 2MT tank, and a BR Standard 3MT tank, available from Dapol and Bachmann Farish respectively in N gauge. Dapol do Maunsell coaches, but I cant say whether they are suitable types. 

Did Union Mills do a 700?

There isn't much in N, there was a time when it looked promising but that's all passed now.

The Dapol Terrier is back in production, whether they will repeat the M7 I guess will depend if there is a market for more 14xxs on a new chassis, the previous M7 whilst pretty was very light footed, couple of coaches at best and not the best slow runner

if you shift to the 1940s then you can throw in the Q1.

As has been said there is the N class and C class but these may be outside your remit.  Union Mills also did a T9

edit: the 700 and 0395 0-6-0 locomotives are in planning by Union Mills, see the n Gauge forum

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, woodenhead said:

edit: the 700 and 0395 0-6-0 locomotives are in planning by Union Mills, see the n Gauge forum

These have been previously released by UM. 

Just to re-iterate, I am looking really for tank engines ( guess I was not clear on that in the OP). Do Union Mills do any tank engines? The M7 and O2 are good - nice looking locos too, but both have availability issues, but definitely potential there. Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, but the Lymington branch in the 1960s saw standard 4MT 2-6-4Ts, available from Farish (the "new" model is much better than the original). The M7 was done by Dapol and could probably be picked up s/h. The Maunsell coaches are available from Dapol, Bulleids and mark 1s from Farish.

Union Mills do only inside-cylinder tender locos; the 700 class is one of them (as is the Adams '0395'). Between the wars only the M7 and the two Union Mills locos would be suitable (the '0395' isn't available in OO). It's not surprising that the 'O2' isn't available as in OO it's a Kernow exclusive, made some time ago too, although both Airfix (in OO) and Peco (in N) had planned to produce it, though neither did.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Yes, but the Lymington branch in the 1960s saw standard 4MT 2-6-4Ts, 

We're not having a good thread vis-a-vis reading the OP. Perhaps F2Andy should do us all a favour and avoid the confusion by modelling the transition era in 00 like a normal person ;)

On 30/08/2019 at 19:22, F2Andy said:

Following a recent holiday in the New Forest, and am considering the possibility of a small layout inspired by Lymington, probably U-shaped, with a quay, set between the wars. 

I have purchased an M7 on Ebay, on the basis that the terrier should be available for years to come.

I did say I was not so much interested in the track design, but I had a quick play, and thought I might as well post it.

sr_term.png.c4315229f11605c92f5692ccb601736a.png

This is something by way of a side project for the future, post-retirement, so do not expect to see anything on here for some years...

• Like 2

Looks good, I would extend the station run round towards the river bridge so you can run round a decent length train, otherwise the FY can handle about 2 to 3 more coaches than the station.  

Locos would presumably be M7 and 02 in the 1930s boosted by some refugees from electrification further east but this is SR not GWR so generally 0-4-4Ts ( and LBSCR 0-6-2Ts) were the main local passenger locos and  0-4-4 Ts ( 0-6-2Ts)  and 0-6-0 Tender Locos were the local goods locos, the SR had very few if any branch line and local goods 0-6-0Ts apart from Terriers

Edited by DavidCBroad