What track for Triang TT stock?

Puffa Puffa Pete

I have recently become interested in getting my old Triang TT stock from the 60s up and running. I don't have a lot spare time at the moment for putting together a detailed layout, initially I just want to get the old trains running again.

Having done a bit of research it looks like my options are:

Original Triang TT track - probably not in great condition now and I know the points aren't great

Peco HOm track - mostly OK but the points need modifying to allow for the wider flanges on the Triang stock

Tillig track - set track pieces but looks pricey and would need to be imported from Germany

3mm society track - probably best but seems like you have to construct your own points which looks fiddly

Any idea which is the best option to go for to get me started?  And are there any options I've missed? Thanks.

If you just want to see your trains running train-set style, getting hold of some Tri-ang track might be your best bet, though I can't speak for the points. Personally I'd go for Peco, it's a bit heavy looking but more realistic than the Tri-ang. It served me well for many years and in fact I still use it on my American TT layout.

I modified some Peco points for Tri-ang, just by filing a bit off the plastic check rails. Instead of modifying the points, some people slightly widen the back-to-back of their locos instead. If the wagons and coaches all have split axles, as mine did, adjusting their back-to-backs is easy.

Instead of making your own points you can get them made via 3SMR, but you'd have to wire the frogs up to get power to them.

Kuehn also do TT track but your comments on Tillig would apply to them.

• RMweb Premium

I bought some Tillig set track to try with my small collection of Triang TT.  There's just one problem; wheels of locomotives can bottom out very slightly on the floor of the frog. It depends on the particular locomotive if this matters; when it does, it tips the locomotive slightly which means wheels on one side lose electrical contact. It should be possible to deepen the frog slightly to cure it but I've not yet tried that. Nice track.

I bought mine from Conrad UK, which is now merged with Conrad International. Only issue is the lack of detailed information in English. So I'm still not sure if there's a terminal track. And often a bundle contains more track than I was expecting. E.g. on the Conrad website a curved piece is listed as 15.83 euros, but if you look carefully you find you get 6 such pieces. Big difference!

Apart from the above, Tillig is fine if you want the convenience and ease of putting stuff together quickly. I did, but if I was thinking of going seriously into Triang TT I think I'd go for Peco HOm. Tillig is useful for just trying things out.

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/08/2019 at 17:48, Joseph_Pestell said:

Can a 3MM Society member confirm? I think the GEM track and pointwork from that era (early 60s - 70) would be compatible with Triang.

I'm a lapsed 3mm society member (I model in 00n3 and 5.5mm scale on 12mm track) but can confirm that Gem track is absolutely compatible with Triang. In fact 3mm s/h and spares have lots of it in stock.

At a guess, it should take vintage Rokal and any Berlinerbahn with ease.

I'd like to mention Kuehn track for your consideration, although not sold in the UK I've been quite impressed by it.  I can't comment on Triang flanges but it copes with Berliner ones.  Of course, like Tillig it's 1:120 rather than 3mm:1ft sleepers.

20190912_122859.jpg.68d88280d6568ab597000b6c3c74a918.jpg

Links to the range in shops:  https://www.elriwa.de/produkte/gleise/spur-tt/?p=1&o=1&n=15&s=404
https://www.zeuke-tt.com/c-3969924/code-72-tracks/

http://www.mbs-sebnitz.de/gleisbau/l/manufacturer=kuehn/spurweite=tt-1-120=ttm-1-120=tte-1-120=ttf-1-120=tti-1-120=spurneutral.html

• RMweb Gold

I like the looks of the Kuhne track. Pity that the crossing angles are a bit sharp.

Dave E, thanks for confirming that the GEM pointwork would work for Puffa Pete. I am on a cross-Channel ferry at the moment but will look for it tomorrow when we get home.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've thought of using Tillig track myself, Tri-ang Type A track is hard to find but its fun to work with, you can possibly ballast the sides and inside of the ties (Yes I'm a yank) like Bachmann Ez Track creating a very realistic road bed once you screw the track in ^_^ 

How to Ballast Bachmann Ez Track by SMT Mainline

Type A and B Track

Edited by Max's Model Railway

• 1 month later...

How would you go about cleaning up old Triang TT track?  I want to dabble in the scale, I bought a box of odds and ends off eBay a couple of years ago, there's enough track to make up an oval, but it looks a bit grotty.  Just to try it out, I'd rather not buy a load of new Peco or similar track, so can the rails be chemically treated in any way to clean them?  They're not exactly rusty, but the rails are noticeably very dirty.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, trapoint said:

Has any one used the Tillig bedded track it looks chunky I also would like to find a track that will take Tri-ang stock.  Do kato make HOm track ?

I bought some of the Tillig track with roadbed, similar to Kato Unitrack and I think it's made by Kato for Tillig. Generally works OK with Triang except that I've found that the wheel flanges can bottom out in the frog; this means a loco may be lifted slightly which may interrupt current collection. I think it would be possible to deepen the frog slightly which would cure the problem. I buy it from Conrad whose prices are reasonable; by the way, if the price looks way too high for an item then it may be that what you are getting is a number of pieces not one.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ben B said:

How would you go about cleaning up old Triang TT track?  I want to dabble in the scale, I bought a box of odds and ends off eBay a couple of years ago, there's enough track to make up an oval, but it looks a bit grotty.  Just to try it out, I'd rather not buy a load of new Peco or similar track, so can the rails be chemically treated in any way to clean them?  They're not exactly rusty, but the rails are noticeably very dirty.

Not had first hand experience of it. I generally clean track with a cotton bud or cloth dipped in meths. A Peco track rubber might help. If there's really a lot of dirt on it I'd suggest washing up liquid and an old tooth brush, but dry it thoroughly afterwards. If you're in to digital cameras then one of the kits to clean sensors might be useful.

I found videos on youtube showing various track cleaning methods for rusty track, I was looking at old O gauge tinplate track but I guess the method would be the same, as long as the plastic base isn't damaged!

Immersing in a vinegar solution was a common one.

14 hours ago, trapoint said:

Has any one used the Tillig bedded track it looks chunky I also would like to find a track that will take Tri-ang stock.  Do kato make HOm track ?

Kato do not make H0m track but Peco do.