On Shed Part 7 The Western and Southern Regions

penyghent

Been looking forward to getting this latest copy of the On Shed series but as my copy hadn’t arrived I rang Kelsey and they said, it’s gone to the printers after a short delay but will be posted out as soon as the copies arrive and will also be on W H Smith shelves.

So there you go, if anyone else is waiting it should be available very soon!

8DEFC5BF-A341-4613-9995-636ACB96B197.png

• Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Perhaps I thought Hither Green more significant than Ryde....

Perhaps hither green is three times the length of ryde and there wasn’t enough room?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, grahame said:

And it looks like they've sorted out the price issue on their website.

Yes, I've just ordered one.

I emailed them on Friday suggesting that it would surely be easier for someone to change one number on their website, rather than loads of us contacting them to query it. They replied this morning that it would be done within 24hrs, and it has been.

3 hours ago, grahame said:

And it looks like they've sorted out the price issue on their website.

They have, I just played the 'guess how much this is' game with the other half and it is now £7.99 on the cover and £7.99 when you put it in the basket, so that didnt work.

Edited by royaloak

The south eastern section of the Southern Region is poorly covered. Ashford steam shed,  Ashford (Chart Leacon), Dover, and St Leonards are missing. All the class 71 electrics were allocated to Chart Leacon during the 1960s, and on my last visit there in 1968 there were 11 locos on site, of classes 03, 09 and 71, with another four diesels at Ashford steam shed. Seeing how much coverage has been given in the series to much smaller and obscure locations this omission was very disappointing.  

Edited by Broadway Clive
added Ashford shed visit

• RMweb Premium

@18B

Issue 7 has arrived in t’post.

Enjoyed the series so far, was looking forward to the Western Region issues. A shame that the inclusion of track plans stopped with issue 5. Was this just a space consideration or another reason?

Reading Train Care Depot:

Was always planned as an electric depot but when originally mooted the East Sidings were for IET stabling, not Crossrail, with the LTV fleet in the West Sidings. Once it was decided Hitachi would utilise North Pole, then plans were slightly scaled back (especially the number of roads in the West Sidings).

RTCD is definitely managed by GWR, not Bombardier. Bombardier do have staff on site but this will scale back / cease when the warranty period ends on the 387 fleet.

On 16/09/2019 at 23:54, Broadway Clive said:

The south eastern section of the Southern Region is poorly covered. Ashford steam shed,  Ashford (Chart Leacon), Dover, and St Leonards are missing. All the class 71 electrics were allocated to Chart Leacon during the 1960s, and on my last visit there in 1968 there were 11 locos on site, of classes 03, 09 and 71, with another four diesels at Ashford steam shed. Seeing how much coverage has been given in the series to much smaller and obscure locations this omission was very disappointing.  

Got my copy at WH Smiths at Oxford station yesterday (3 still left there !). I have to agree that the omission of Chart Leacon, except for mentions in passing, was rather surprising.

I've got one on order but this is all sounding rather disappointing.

Although I've yet to receive it and have none of the others, I wonder if the publishers will justify their selections and coverage based on the word 'diesel' in the cover title strap line and have concentrated on diesel shed operations and locos rather than electrics and units, although there is an electric loco pictured on the cover. Is Wimbledon train care depot included?

• RMweb Gold
On 15/09/2019 at 16:41, 70E said:

my copy arrived in Saturdays post, very interesting read, 4 pages on Hither Green

Good. It looked after Cromptons for the SED, of course, but also the Central, right into the '70s, maybe later. Continuous liaison took place between the SE and Central Loco Controllers about which loco was on which turn, so locos due exams etc could be worked back to Hither Green.