1980s Gloucester - Penzance

Atlantic

Hi everyone

Back in the early - mid 1980s there used to be an early morning Gloucester - Penzance worked by a Class 50 and a rake of coaches, mark 1 corridor stock I believe.

Can anyone tell me how it was formed? Either coach numbers or type will do.

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Premium

Did it do Gloucester to Bristol before becoming another train? (despite being the same stock). I did find there is still a cross country train train to Penzance that supposedly comes from Glasgow. This train actually starts from Dundee but is classed as a different train until it gets to Glasgow. 

According to the book published by Platform 5, Loco-Hauled Travel 1983-84 , there was an 07.40 SX Gloucester - Bristol TM which was 50 hauled.  The train started from Worcester Shrub Hill at 07.03 with a 47 on the BS.107 diagram.

As the book only lists loco diagrams I cannot say what happened to the stock at Bristol.

Trying to think how old I was at the time as I was only a child. I reckon it might have been 1985 or 86. From memory it got to Exeter about 9 or 10am approx. I'm fairly certain it was a Gloucester - Penzance service. Was always a class 50 on it.

It may have been a Saturday only service thinking about it, as I was at school during the week!

Edited by Atlantic

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, guzzler17 said:

Nothing in the public timetable for the summer, May to September, of 1986 that fits the bill.

The nearest was a Derby to Paignton. 07.38 depart Gloucester (06.00 depart Derby), but that was an HST.

Just checked my WTT for May 84 to May 85. Nothing there either. Closest I could find was 1C11 0630 SO Worcester Shrub Hill to Penzance which was an HST as well.

Sorry everyone, I made some more enquiries and I think the train was from Swindon, NOT Gloucester. I believe it was the 1C11 06:45 Swindon to Penzance and it ran in 1986/7.

So back to my original question, Can anyone tell me how it was formed? Either coach numbers or type will do.

Thanks again

• RMweb Premium

I have photos of it on five dates, they are not really a huge help to you though but until something better comes along...

Class 50 Diesel Locomotive number 50 027 named "Lion" arrives at Truro with 1C11 0645 Swindon to Penzance.  10th February 1987.

124-L.jpg

Class 50 Diesel Locomotive number 50 008 named "Thunderer" passes Gwinear Road with the 0645 Swindon to Penzance.  12th February 1987

131-L.jpg

Class 50 Diesel Locomotive number 50 037 named "Illustrious" passes Ponsandane with the 0645 Swindon to Penzance.  28th April 1987

155-L.jpg

Class 50 Diesel Locomotive number 50 031 named "Hood" arriving at Penzance with 1C11 0645 Swindon to Penzance.  22nd December 1987

311a-L.jpg

Same date, empty stock being taken to Long Rock by the 08 which Hood now follows along the platform.

311-L.jpg

Class 50 Diesel Locomotive number 50 020 named "Revenge" passes Wearde with the 0645 Swindon to Penzance.  11th May 1988

19881105-L.jpg

• Like 1