DCC advice- locomotive performance sticking mechanisms

RobBrooks1

I have now got quite a few 00 DCC sound locomotives which are a mixture of Bachmann and Hornby. The locomotives are steam and include Britannia, Black 5 and 8F classes which run on my layout housed in a heated cabin in my garden. The locomotives vary in age from 18 months to 6 years old all fitted with Zimo 645 sound decoders.  The question I would like to ask is that some of the locomotives tend to stick and take time to get going particularly at low speed. For instance I would normally test then out on a Bachuras  rolling road to ease the  connecting rod mechanisms and motors up. Would the locomotives perform better with some light  lubrication as I have  cleaned the wheels and pickups ( I use track magic for this) and also regularly clean the track ? I have not lubricated them before.

Please could any one advise me on what I can do to alleviate this. My other newer sound locomotives are all OK and run perfectly well including my Jinty, another older Black 5 and 9F's, The affected locomotives are Hornby rather than Bachmann. Has anyone got any advice on what to do?

I think you  have  posted in  the  incorrect  section,  re  the  slow  starts  though  have  you  tried,  checked  the  acceleration CV?   usually CV 3 , perhaps  the  value  requires  reducing  ( the  range  for this CH  ranges  from 0 to 255,   255 would  probably allow  time  for  a  cup of  tea to be  made  before the loco moves!, try setting  the  CV to a  low  value   say  5  then  take it  from  there)

• RMweb Premium

Beware. In a lot of cases a CV value of 0 and a CV value of 255 are interpreted by the decoder in exactly the same way. If the CV value you are checking is 0 than try 5 and if the CV value is 255 try 250 although to see any noticeable difference you may want to think about altering the value you have by plus or minus 20 to be able to notice any meaningful change.

You can download the Zimo manual and this gives you the purpose of each CV and a default value to compare against your locos. You may find that the sound file producer has adjusted the CV values to better suit the sound file that he has put on the decoder.