Hornby Packaging

Ragtag

Picked up the latest Northern Class 156 today in commemorative RAF livery - nice model but the change in packaging is interesting.

Gone is the block of polystyrene inside the box (hurrah!), and in its place is a cardboard container not unlike an egg carton albeit sturdier.

I'm just curious whether this is a shift that has been seen anywhere else in the range, or is this perhaps a sign of things to come?

20190831_221940.jpg.df418187ceb7b760fdcd6eb1e6a8f864.jpg

Edited by Ragtag
  • Like 2

It's rather like how many of the cheaper Train Sets have been packaged for years (e.g. Blue Rapier).

It makes more sense for train sets, where collectors are less likely to be the buyer, to prioritise easily recyclable packaging. However, in this case, it's a special livery which from my viewpoint seems a rather appealing train to target at collectors where one might expect a more premium packaging style, though having said that, it isn't a premium model detail wise anyway.

I don't like how hard it can be to take locomotives out of polystyrene, however in the blue rapier I don't think the train is packaged tightly enough. Was this easy to remove from the box and, in your opinion, secure enough for transport?

In my opinion, the 156 just needs putting into the railroad range and then the box really doesn't matter at all!

Not aware of any other non train sets using this style, however the Eurostar is coming up for re-release in a few months time, and that too has been using polystyrene packaging. Will be interesting to see if that takes the same approach as here or not.

Edited by centraltrains
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, centraltrains said:

Was this easy to remove from the box and, in your opinion, secure enough for transport?

In my opinion, the 156 just needs putting into the railroad range and then the box really doesn't matter at all!

Easier to remove from the box than the older versions and it feels secure enough to me. Then again, as you say there's not much in the way of separately fitted detail to fall off.

With Realtrack's model out I don't imagine many view this as anything except a Railroad version, but with a bit of detailing it will still hold its own.