Double tuning fork layout

Hello,
Inspired by many beautiful micro-layouts on RMweb, I decided to create my very first "double tuning fork" layout. Is this the right name for my layout? I don't know yet. Dimensions are 4 'x 10 ". I need a bridge or tunnel in the middle of my layout. All comments, and advices are welcome. Anyway, here is a 3D view of my project.

1890085037_DFL01_3D.JPG.5e28e7a913a5b7c72451d0c3cea8049f.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I like it! (But then I am a fan of tuning fork layouts - and yes, a double tuning fork describes it perfectly).

Is the bridge a scenic break to allow two different scenes, one at each end of the board?

Edited by Ian Simpson
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Manicouagan said:

Thanks for your reply. I want to use a bridge (a tunnel is not a very good idea I guess) as a scenic divider just in the middle of the layout. It will be a goods yard (or maybe a junk yard  :rolleyes:).

I think a bridge would be an excellent idea vs. a tunnel. Probably not best if your points aren't out in the open.

Interesting track plan. Should be fun to operate. 

• Like 1

Playing around with your idea a little, I've added an x crossing to give a third, independent line. It doesn't really add all that much, other than the opportunity to run more stock and having to ensure it's clear for shunting between the other two lines. Maybe I've strayed into the "add more track just because you can" mindset, but for what it's worth, here it is:

2forks.jpg.67ea4ff2fe9916fd2655a48eb938e2ef.jpg

Or this version, which is closer to your ideas:

2forks2.jpg.c7cdc2dfe707ddb2f6b23e170a17a737.jpg

Edited by OhOh
Added 2nd image
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Manicouagan said:

Many moons ago I had a Hornby crossing...until I lost my extremely limited patience and dump it in the trash bin.:blush:

Things may have improved since then :)

I've used Peco Streamline Code100 in the above plans.

• Like 1

You could use a double or single slip in place of the crossing. Costly and adds complication though. A single slip would probably be more interesting operationally as access to/from some roads would require a bit of shuffling rather than a simple point change. 

• Like 2

That looks like a back to back inglenook! If you have two locos you could shunt one end, then once you’ve arranged everything spin it round and shunt the other end.

If you used dcc and two controllers you could cause chaos as to people try using the same line to play together!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thunderforge said:

That looks like a back to back inglenook! If you have two locos you could shunt one end, then once you’ve arranged everything spin it round and shunt the other end.

You're absolutely right ! I'm going back to the plan A or maybe to the plan B.

• RMweb Premium

Hi @Manicouagan and welcome to the forum. I'm no expert on tuning forks, single or double, but the first thing I notice about your plan is the pair of right hand points toe to toe creates a right-left-right-left reverse curve. Assuming you're using fairly tight curves (second radius etc), this might make shunting less reliable or wagons more prone to buffer lock or derail. Unless there's a specific reason to do it that way, I'd use a left and a right point, to give a smoother look and smoother run through the pointwork. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JDW said:

I'm no expert on tuning forks, single or double, but the first thing I notice about your plan is the pair of right hand points toe to toe creates a right-left-right-left reverse curve. Assuming you're using fairly tight curves (second radius etc), this might make shunting less reliable or wagons more prone to buffer lock or derail. Unless there's a specific reason to do it that way, I'd use a left and a right point, to give a smoother look and smoother run through the pointwork. 

Maybe I can use Peco SL-97 small Y point insulfrog ?

141104537_PECOSL-97.JPG.5c6d4d85538f872192527be181e274a9.JPG

• Like 1

It would work if you used four right hand points and no curved tracks, I would draw what I mean but my children are on the computer at the moment!

The trouble is that it would look rather clinical, having a few extra curves might not be best practice but it does make a layout look better (in my opinion!)

• Like 1