Dean period coaches and the Lewis classification system

2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello DrDuncan

If that doesn't help, let me know. I am in touch with John (as he is a fellow member of The 00 Wishlist Poll Team).

Brian

That’s very kind.  I’ll see what comes along in this thread and then get back to you if I may.

D

26 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

But he lists Dean bogie coaches on that site.

Yes he does, but understandably Richard is concentrating on the diagrams he is most interested in and it struck me while perusing Russell vol one and considering its errors, that a comprehensive list matching diagrams to Lewis classification might help modellers identify problems with drawings (I’m told the eaves on a few of the Russell drawings are inaccurate so will throw off any attempts to use the drawing) and flesh out some of the captions.

• Informative/Useful 1

Sorry I’ve only just found this topic.  There is an easish way.  If Russell gives you a build date or lot number you can have a look at what Lewis classification 4 wheelers were being built at the same time using this list: http://www.penrhos.me.uk/LotList.shtml.  With the exception of wide or narrow, or the odd special, Swindon didn’t build coaches of different LC at the same time.

If you are looking at composite coaches, once you get past E15 the diagrams are in date order.

Edited by Penrhos1920
  • Informative/Useful 2

Right, I've had a look and I've got a list that covers most diagrams.  I'll be putting it on my website in a couple of days and I'll notify you in the usual way here:

PS Don't forget Sod's law will definitly apply.

Edited by Penrhos1920
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps of interest. I was browsing Britain from above and came across a 1929 photo of the junction "Northeast of Llatrisant". It shows a nice assembly of 4- and 6-wheelers.  Sadly they are not fully in focus, but I found the photo interesting nonetheless. A closer zoom can be had by going to the website and logging in (you can't zoom without logging in).

image.png.a38a4110220351ab0fddf14ee27b0df4.png

Source: Britian from Above: https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/WPW029433

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 10/09/2019 at 11:23, drduncan said:

Looks like 4 or more are Clerestory 4/6 wheelers too.  Were there any 6w Clerestories in the R, S or T diagram series that are yet to cataloged on the Penhros web site?

D

I can only see 2 clerestories in the middle of the picture.  Where are the others?

There were no clerestory R, S or T diagrams.  only 4 U diagrams and a dozen saloon diagrams.    Just over 100 coaches in total.

As far as R, S & T diagrams there are only 6 or so T diagrams that have yet to be covered on Penrhos.me.uk

Edited by Penrhos1920

• RMweb Gold
On 10/09/2019 at 10:41, MikeOxon said:

Interesting mix of roof shades - some very white ones included.

Shh, don't say it too loud, some people get very agitated when they find out white roofs didn't oxidise to black within 30 seconds of leaving the paint shop. ;) 

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

A real find

Just a thought - these could be ex Taff Vale Railway stock possibly condemned?; Or other South Wales stock?  Llantrisant was a point where ex TVR and GW came together.

I will be working on possible identification against TVR diagrams.

Nice mixture of roof colours.

8 hours ago, BMS said:

A real find

Just a thought - these could be ex Taff Vale Railway stock possibly condemned?; Or other South Wales stock?  Llantrisant was a point where ex TVR and GW came together.

I will be working on possible identification against TVR diagrams.

Nice mixture of roof colours.

With one exception they all fit GWR diagrams, even the 2 I’ve seen for the first time in the goods yard.  The only coach that I cannot fit to a known GWR design is the one on the right on its own under the water tower.

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Penrhos1920 said:

The only coach that I cannot fit to a known GWR design is the one on the right on its own under the water tower.

Yes it looks much taller somehow, especially in the adjoining photo from a different angle (second of the photos below). It doesn't help that it's behind something. I wonder if it raised. A saloon converted to a staff shed?

image.png.f9dd26a0aa924c5ec75fbe8df1d5b2db.png

Udklip2.JPG.b1b7b728b4ee5c688c2aee4968a2a876.JPG

Edited by Mikkel

47 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Yes it looks much taller somehow, especially in the adjoining photo from a different angle (second of the photos below). It doesn't help that it's behind something. I wonder if it raised. A saloon converted to a staff shed

I suspect the apparent height difference is an optical illusion, if you compare it with the three coaches further to the left, presumably on the same track,, which also look higher than the coaches on the nearer track.  It looks as though it could be some sort of inspection saloon?