Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

Custom Finishing Tamper Mk III ESTR

An eBay purchase from last year.  I'd always been interested in them from the Walthers catalogues but wasn't brave enough to commit to a Trans-Atlantic purchase with the likelihood of import duty and the possibility of being out of my depth. 

1077962616_Bitsintheboxrotated.jpg.ee11d2b1c39bc50a048126347ee51c26.jpg

A box of (daunting) bits.  It's designed for gluing only so the assembly sequence follows this basis.  I decided that I wanted to solder it and did a fair bit of research, procurement and testing (via an MTK Class 59 test piece - also a bargain buy from eBay.  That experience is listed elsewhere on RMWeb) before committing to this kit with it's finer detail.  This was good practice as the MTK instructions were limited to say the least and I had to work out my own assembly sequence on the hoof for that one, and hence I've been better prepared for the tamper assembly sequence.

1760442309_sideandbaseext.jpg.1b0a85f7e7628238f2fd1578e2001129.jpg

The parts are cast in pewter and are very good in comparison to the MTK kit.  Initial fit is concise and hasn't needed much fettling.  Having said that I'm still learning with the white metal soldering.  I've not changed from the MTK kit - 25w iron (as it is - no temperature control), plenty of flux, although I've learnt to be more economical with the solder this time.  Despite the finer frame detail, the pewter seems to take the heat better and I've not had any accidents with the metal melting into blobs  - that was one of my concerns after a couple of gas axe experiences with the more substantial MTK 59 pieces.  

589408735_Sideandbaseint.jpg.53c78f98785867689e5f061211ff3d82.jpg

This shot shows side, base and some fittings.  The control panel has been soldered to the cab wall after joining base and side.  I've elected to fit 33" kadees so have cut off the mounting blocks for the kit wheels (bit weedy) and have opened up slots in the floor (two visible in the cab base, plus one at back of unit) so that there is no clash (or short circuit).  I've drilled out the axle boxes and fitted 2mm brass top hat bearings that I still have from my youth (4mm Airfix and Cambrian kits....long gone).   Top hat bearings mustn't exist in the States?  Although it did make soldering of the second side interesting trying to hold wheels, bearings and side all at the same time (The kit wheels aren't pin point and therefore can be fitted at a later stage (after painting?)).

2114966245_sideandbaseintrearview.jpg.e45e7ce17fcee4214512d4cc50c5fadb.jpg

Rear view with both slots visible for rear wheel set.  The internal bulkhead supports a 'hydraulic tank' detail and I had to support and solder this in before I could solder the second side.  There is a rebate in the tank which sits against the internal frame and it won't go in afterwards, so I had to keep checking the fit with the second side before I soldered.

I'll sort some pictures out of the basic assembly and post these up over the next week or so.

Foxy

Edited by Luigi Taveri
Re-uploading photos
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

18 hours ago, jonhall said:

Interesting, I had one of their little tampers and a permaclipper

jon

Hi Jon

What did you think of them?  I can't find much on the web on people  building them (although I think there is one hidden in this sub-forum)? 

Foxy

I've made one of these, I thought I'd posted about it but apparently not, I'll try and fix that over the weekend. As for weedy wheels, the axle is a bit thin but the wheels are the correct diameter, I looked all over for something a tiny bit more robust but of approximately the right size, NWSL was someone I found with 26" and 28" wheels.

I found the kit as-designed would go together well, but I was modelling a specific prototype so I've added bits and changed bits. I call it my fractal Tamper as each set of detail photos had me looking closer for even more details - It's the nature of vehicles with open sides.

There seems to have been some evolution in the kit as I acquired a second model which had extra parts including monofilament to represent hydraulic lines or pipes.

I also have a Kershaw 26-1 ballast regulator, but that's basically donor parts for a different Kershaw machine.

Chris H

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 03:46, ChrisH-UK said:

There seems to have been some evolution in the kit as I acquired a second model which had extra parts including monofilament to represent hydraulic lines or pipes.

Hi Chris

My kit also includes the monofilament, and that's the point I'm at now, with drilling the various holes for the hydraulics and handrails, before I proceed on fitting out the tamping plant.

Foxy

Some further progress photos.

Couple of photos showing three quarter views of the general assembly.

Basic assy 1.jpg

There is a control panel on both sides of the cab, and I soldered the second with some careful measuring prior to soldering the second side in place.  I think I soldered the cab back wall in first to help position the second side before soldering that in place. I then soldered the front cab wall in place after that.

Basic assy 2.jpg

All fingers and thumbs to get this sorted.  As in the previous post, I'm slowly drilling for the various fixings and hoses so it'll be some time before I get back onto fitting out.

Underside kadees bearings.jpg

Foxy

Edited by Luigi Taveri
Re-uploading photos
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...

Very brief update on this.  Covid got in the way of this (but conversely an opportunity to sort out running on my layout and consequent exercise in completing fitting decoders to my loco fleet).

Basecoatorange.jpg.6077064d510b75b44748df214cf00ff7.jpg

Painted and decalled but no further progress since.

Foxy

• Like 2