Static Grass Flowers. Cheap and easy

6 hours ago, cactustrain said:

I can't say I like the description, which I think many would find immodest. I think it up to others to decide if your video/content is awesome or not.

Why you are so negative? I think the flowers are great, I gave them my best go for a beginner! I watched a you tube video recently (Chadwick Model  Railway) on the negative people out there! He was less than complimentary on people’s negative comments on his channel, like your comments . It may pay for to watch this yourself. 

Edited by Model Railroad Techniques

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Model Railroad Techniques said:

Why you are so negative? I think the flowers are great, I gave them my best go! I watched a you tube video recently (Chadwick Model  Railway) on the negative people out there! He was less than complimentary on people’s comments on his channel people like this. It may pay for to watch this yourself. 

You are setting a high bar. Your name "Model Railroad Techniques" is meant to suggest you are an expert, and then your video says the flowers are "Awesome". The technique might be fine (I did the same in 2010 for a magazine), but you are coming across as a bit cocky. That might not be the intention, but all we have to go on is your on-line posting.

Flowers.jpg

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

You are setting a high bar. Your name "Model Railroad Techniques" is meant to suggest you are an expert, and then your video says the flowers are "Awesome". The technique might be fine (I did the same in 2010 for a magazine), but you are coming across as a bit cocky. That might not be the intention, but all we have to go on is your on-line posting.

Flowers.jpg

That looks like a flower to me....

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

That looks like a flower to me....

Specifically, a hollyhock, although I suspect you could get away with Foxgloves. It's only a single bristle rolled in PV and then rolled in coloured flock, then planted. Simple an effective technique that adds colour to weedy bits of a layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think we have a clash of cultures here,  I note it says railroad,  not railway. So i assume the OP is American.   P i m p ing   their knowledge is a way of life.  I work for American company,  we get managers come across to give some lecture..  They expect you to start saying, wow!!!  Yeah!!! Great stuff!!!  And we sit there in silence..  The American managers are totally mystified.. 

Their over hyped way of conducting things , does not go down well in the UK.  Claiming their work is awesome,  is meaningless this side of the pond and is seen as boasting..  If it's any good we expect it to be shown to be good, we might then say something giving approval.. We would be highly unlikely to use the word awesome,  it's something a child that has been watching American TV programmes may say... 

Now I may go watch the video,  and then decide if it rates any approval from me.. 

Ah I see, somewhere the other side of the world,  

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Model Railroad Techniques said:

Awesome cheap and easy static grass flowers

How to Make Static Grass Flowers-Model Railroad-DIY

If you want to improve your techniques and quality the pages of RMweb are worth reading before piling in.

Or read some back issues of our magazine.

Q&A_weeds.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Model Railroad Techniques said:

Why you are so negative? I think the flowers are great, I gave them my best go for a beginner! I watched a you tube video recently (Chadwick Model  Railway) on the negative people out there! He was less than complimentary on people’s negative comments on his channel, like your comments . It may pay for to watch this yourself.  

As a professional modeller I don't comment on other people's work in public. Some people may think your work is awesome and that's fine with me, but I still think it is better if you let other people be the judge.  Also, my comments aren't negative, but helpful advice. If you title your posts differently on this British forum then you will get a better response.

7 hours ago, AY Mod said:

And as you're down-under it's worth looking at some real craftsman scenery and videos from Luke Towans.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjRkUtHQ774mTg1vrQ6uA5A

His flowers are really top notch.

Yes you are correct he is a craftsman and learning a great amount from his videos.

6 hours ago, cactustrain said:

As a professional modeller I don't comment on other people's work in public. Some people may think your work is awesome and that's fine with me, but I still think it is better if you let other people be the judge.  Also, my comments aren't negative, but helpful advice. If you title your posts differently on this British forum then you will get a better response.

Thank you for your advice, sorry if I took your comment as negative.  I will take all above comments on board for future videos.  I don’t wish to come across as “cocky”, but some who can pass on my knowledge to others! This aspect of the hobby is my passion. This is the sole reason I started to make videos 4 months ago; hence the beginner comment.

It has been rightfully pointed out the British and US markets (culturally) are vastly different, a very interesting subject in it self.  All my interaction thus far has been within the USA. 

P.S: You will see I have edited the title of this post to reflect our discussions.

I have already started to research the thesaurus for synonyms for up coming videos. 8-)

Happy modeling.

Regards

Darren.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2