Openings closures and changes 2019

ianmacc

Hi all. One of my other interests is local non league football. On another forum there is a thread that details clubs that fold, move ground or start so we can keep track when travelling. 

I think a similar thread here would be very useful.

For example - closures Auto Loco in Sheringham, Ian Allan in Birmingham, Gee Dee in Nottingham, Panda in Doncaster.

Openings in Nelson (forgot name) and Smith’s in Sheringham 

I can pop by time to time to keep

this post up to date.

• Like 1

People would only need to read post one. 

Openings, closures and changes get buried in the thread history very quickly. If there’s genuinely no call for this then fine but I’d be interested to know from other folks who like to call in to shops when on their travels. 

It could even be a sticky!

Edited by ianmacc
Typo

• RMweb Gold

A single list of every model shop with opening times would be useful, perhaps with details of current address and closures

The problem is it would only be useful if completely up to date and that would be virtually a full time job

Most model shops now have some web presence with opening times and if I was going out my way to visit somewhere it's easy enough to just pick up the phone

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Winter123 said:

The UK Model Shop Directory is kept up to date and is an excellent reference.

Its my go-to guide and I submit a lot of  that ‘up to date content’ myself when I find new or closed retailers! 

It isn’t infallible though and there are shops not on it. Adrian told me that GDPR prevents collating a list without the consent of the proprietor and there are shops that don’t want advertising! 

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 10:21, ianmacc said:

People would only need to read post one. 

Openings, closures and changes get buried in the thread history very quickly. If there’s genuinely no call for this then fine but I’d be interested to know from other folks who like to call in to shops when on their travels. 

It could even be a sticky!

Surely the opening and closing changed in that list would get lost, as posts are made to highlight a change others will then follow and be hard to keep track.

17 hours ago, ianmacc said:

Its my go-to guide and I submit a lot of  that ‘up to date content’ myself when I find new or closed retailers! 

It isn’t infallible though and there are shops not on it. Adrian told me that GDPR prevents collating a list without the consent of the proprietor and there are shops that don’t want advertising! 

Wouldn't a list on here also be in breach of GDPR as surely it would be the same?

9 minutes ago, Ed-farms said:

Surely the opening and closing changed in that list would get lost, as posts are made to highlight a change others will then follow and be hard to keep track.

Wouldn't a list on here also be in breach of GDPR as surely it would be the same?

No because the first post would be edited to collate the list in post one. 

And no again because this would just be a list of names and towns which is all publicly available information. 

To to be honest I’m not going to bother I’ll just keep the info to myself. 

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Just to clarify, anyone reading this thread and thinking that the transformation of AutoLoco into Smiths Models, Sheringham is complete and the new owners are trading from the premises, they aren't. I walked past it yesterday and the windows were still whitewashed over. Occasional imperfections in the whitewash reveal that the interior is far from complete, let alone stocked up ready for business.

On 02/09/2019 at 08:43, ianmacc said:

Hi all. One of my other interests is local non league football. On another forum there is a thread that details clubs that fold, move ground or start so we can keep track when travelling. 

I think a similar thread here would be very useful.

For example - closures Auto Loco in Sheringham, Ian Allan in Birmingham, Gee Dee in Nottingham, Panda in Doncaster.

Openings in Nelson (forgot name) and Smith’s in Sheringham 

The name of the shop in Nelson is The Model Train Centre. It's above Clarks Hardware on Every Street.

It is doing nicely so far, with a lot more planned for the future.

• Like 1

On 04/09/2019 at 01:43, Banger Blue said:

How is compiling a list of Model Shops and their locations a breach of GDPR? There is no personal data involved at all!

A list is fine which is all I was proposing. The commercial site quoted earlier also publishes emails and telephone numbers etc. As a data processor under the GDPR it has obligations. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/09/2019 at 15:09, ianmacc said:

A list is fine which is all I was proposing. The commercial site quoted earlier also publishes emails and telephone numbers etc. As a data processor under the GDPR it has obligations. 

But it doesn't post personal data. Businesses  are not protected in the same way as people.

17 hours ago, Ian_B said:

But it doesn't post personal data. Businesses  are not protected in the same way as people.

Makes the conscious decision by some businesses NOT to be listed even more peculiar. I don’t think Adrian charges for listing only for advertising.

When I spot a shop on my travels I notify the site and often the response is ‘thanks, but they have declined to be included’ or similar. 

Edited by ianmacc
Additional paragraph

On 24/09/2019 at 15:45, ianmacc said:

Makes the conscious decision by some businesses NOT to be listed even more peculiar. I don’t think Adrian charges for listing only for advertising.

When I spot a shop on my travels I notify the site and often the response is ‘thanks, but they have declined to be included’ or similar. 

Strange, but there's no accounting for taste! When I'm going anywhere I refer to Adrian's site to see if there's anywhere nearby. I frequently end up strolling around a town with his listing and a page from Google maps clutched in my mitt. When I've been I send Adrian an update for any changes to the entry.

Ian_B