Dapol KQA/KTA in OO

Andy Y

KQAa.jpg

KQA1.jpg

The distinctive KQA/KTA intermodal pocket wagons have been a missing link in RTR. Modellers will now be able to include hi-cube containers in the mix when these hits the shops shortly. A rake of these widely used wagons would form part of an impressive train even in empty guise.

KQA2.jpg

KQA3.jpg

KQA4.jpg

The models feature close coupling, NEM coupling sockets and etched steel details.

Pictured in Tiphook Rail livery the standard issue wagon is well weighted and runs extremely smoothly, detail and printing is crisp with respectable bogie relief although some representation of the brakes may have been desirable. For those who wish to take a respectable and impressive model a step further it would be a relatively easy project - reference picture

I am no expert on this breed but the model certainly holds respectable comparison to prototype images; see http://ukrailrolling.../p45442615.html (Thanks to Martyn Read for such a useful reference resource!)

Going beyond the standard wagon Hattons and Kernow have commissioned four differently numbered weathered models at a small premium for an extremely good value alternative. The variation in tones on the weathering is subtle and believable and again having referred to reference pics seems to be reasonably lifelike and certainly a good base to work forward from.

HKQA1.jpg

HKQA2.jpg

HKQA3.jpg

Looks like a good job on both the wagon and the weathering I think. Colour and application of the weathering overall looks pretty good, a few tweaks to the weathering (the "greasy bits" on the brake rigging and buffers show up well on that photo for example) and I reckon it's sorted.

I'm holding off for a KTA rather than the KQA but i'm definately up for a couple of these for my Thamesport liner. cool.gif

I'm currently building a rake of container wagons i've just bought 8 of the Dapol spines & i'll certainly be buying a good few of these for the future layout they look brilliant. Hatton's weathered version is very well done & that is certainly a good standard of weathering on a RTR model i have always felt that the factory weathering jobs previously have always been a bit of a mess & hopefully this standard of weathering on the Dapol/Hattons model will hopefully up the anti when it comes to Factory weathing.

Yet again Dapol pave the way with modern modelsbiggrin.gif

Simon.

• RMweb Gold

Looks like a good job on both the wagon and the weathering I think. Colour and application of the weathering overall looks pretty good, a few tweaks to the weathering (the "greasy bits" on the brake rigging and buffers show up well on that photo for example) and I reckon it's sorted.

I'm holding off for a KTA rather than the KQA but i'm definately up for a couple of these for my Thamesport liner. cool.gif

Martyn, Any idea when the tops code changed on these?

Was all set to go and order a couple of weathered KQA before seeing you post and reminding me to check which the layout needs, suspecting KTA.....

Its a little bit of a shame that with both Kernow and Hattons listing a ltd weathered version, both have chosen to do the KQA (so if you want a KTA you have to wait for batch 2 and a price hike)

post-1-127308962291_thumb.jpg

post-1-127308876448_thumb.jpg

The distinctive KQA/KTA intermodal pocket wagons have been a missing link in RTR. Modellers will now be able to include hi-cube containers in the mix when these hits the shops shortly. A rake of these widely used wagons would form part of an impressive train even in empty guise.

post-1-12730887733_thumb.jpg

post-1-12730887822_thumb.jpg

post-1-127308878967_thumb.jpg

The models feature close coupling, NEM coupling sockets and etched steel details.

Pictured in Tiphook Rail livery the standard issue wagon is well weighted and runs extremely smoothly, detail and printing is crisp with respectable bogie relief although some representation of the brakes may have been desirable. For those who wish to take a respectable and impressive model a step further it would be a relatively easy project - reference picture

I am no expert on this breed but the model certainly holds respectable comparison to prototype images; see http://ukrailrolling.../p45442615.html (Thanks to Martyn Read for such a useful reference resource!)

Going beyond the standard wagon Hattons and Kernow have commissioned four differently numbered weathered models at a small premium for an extremely good value alternative. The variation in tones on the weathering is subtle and believable and again having referred to reference pics seems to be reasonably lifelike and certainly a good base to work forward from.

post-1-127308874108_thumb.jpg

post-1-127308874746_thumb.jpg

post-1-127308875865_thumb.jpg

They look fantastic....my Kernow order is sitting waiting to flex the plastic card again in a short while....Have to say my US outline stuff has had similar wagons of similar quality for many years. The factory weathering is a revelation compared to the orangey muck that Hornby sprays on things and calls factory weathering.

What's the difference between a KQA and a KTA then? Look pretty similar to me, must be subtle.

Gotta say that weathering looks top notch, and all for an extra £3!

There is no difference. They're the same wagons, but were re-coded from KQA to KTA when they were renumbered from the RIV numbering series into the TOPS series as GERS97700-97774. Renumbering began in 2004, I think.

These were the wagons (the real ones, not the models) that brought me back to British prototype. I love them, but ironically I have no real need for them at all in my current layout plans.

Jim

It must be said that Dapol are leading the way in the RTR model weathering stakes. These look superb weathered, much better than the misting of frame dirt (or brown) that is often offfered by the others...And for £3 more, it's hardly breaking the bank!!

Chris

• RMweb Gold

There is no difference. They're the same wagons, but were re-coded from KQA to KTA when they were renumbered from the RIV numbering series into the TOPS series as GERS97700-97774. Renumbering began in 2004, I think.

Jim

Ah good, Can get some KQA ordered after all!

Outer weathering looks good but theres no scratching on the inside from the loaded containers

That's 'cos Dapol Dave is a brilliant salesman. He wants you to buy a container to go in the pocket. Now if I were to win that it would go very nicely with the spine wagons I won in the last raffle. :)

Bernard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Even better, had the morning off to take my wife to the hospital (which is a long story), but had to leave her there due to prolonged wait. Nipped home to change and there on the step was a box from Kernow Models containing two KQA wagons, completely out of the blue. Wasn't expecting them for another week or two! Really good model and the weathering is very good, although the "starry" bit around the lettering is strange. Tony.

Does anyone know if these are the same 4 running numbers for both Hattons and Kernow, or is it 4 for each supplier? The descriptions on the Hattons site don't show the numbers, and as I already have the 4 Kernow ones arriving, I don't want to order the same 4 wagons again (especially as they are now £2 dearer than Kernow per wagon).

Hi,

perhaps someone could check regarding the running numbers? Does someone have a set of both, or even just the Hattons ones? I have the KMRC ones and they are truly stunning! The KMRC running numbers are on their website. The original web page for KMRC showed them as being "Exlcusive to Kernow Model Rail Centre.", so if Hattons also have the same ones, it would surprise me unless they went at it jointly.

The part numbers are slightly different, though:

B779SK1, B779SK2, B779SK3, B779SK4 for KMRC

B779SH1, B779SH2, B779SH3, B779SH4 for Hattons

The K and H in the suffixes being the distiguishing part number detail.

Also of note is that KMRC refer to theirs as being Tiphhook branded... which indeed they are. However, the Hattons ones do not specify this but may or may not be.

If someone has the Hattons set, could they share with us the running numbers?

Cheers, Ixion.

My weathered ones turned up from Kernow this morning. They are top notch. Maybe surpass even the bullets? Congratulations, yet again, to Dave and team for delivering such a great item. Intermodal traffic just got more interesting.

Wiston Works.

Archived