GuildEx

Pete the Elaner

I am surprised to not find a thread on this show.

After modelling in OO for many years, I have been drawn into O gauge recently & went to this show with a friend on Saturday.

Having seen the list of exhibits, I was well aware that it was trader-heavy but what I did not expect was almost a complete absence of box-shifters.

The variety of kits & parts on show & on sale was a real treat.

This is a great show for anyone modelling or considering one of the 7mm scales & I will definitely be going back.

Railwayrod and I have just made our annual pilgrimage there as we have done for many years. Nowadays we make a weekend of it and stay in the area for a couple of nights which allows us time to call at various preserved railways on the way there and back. This year a Guildex ticket gave us half-price entry to the nearby Telford Steam Railway on the way home.

I don't think there have been quite as many traders there the last couple of years as there used to be although this does mean the aisles are a bit wider. Always nice to see all the latest models available or under development, especially RTR, and we always spend quite a bit of time chatting to various people as we go round some of whom are RMWebbers.

There was also a nice selection of layouts there, as usual.

• RMweb Gold

Dave Stone (Wenlock) and I were there with Dave's Sherton Abbas. We thoroughly enjoyed our weekend and the layout got some good comments and a few invitations to further exhibitions.

Although not primarily a 7mm modeller I was impressed with the vitality of the scale and the amount of hands-on modelling to be seen, including the relevant trade support.

There were some very nice layouts there; at the risk of only mentioning one I was particularly taken with Love Lane which I thought was a fine piece modelling with some phenomenal buildings and general urban detail.

• RMweb Premium

This was my 3rd visit to the show since I started taking an interest in 7mm modelling and it rapidly becoming my favourite show of the year. This time, three of us stayed overnight and went both days. Some cracking good modelling on show, top demo stands and the variety of trade that modellers love to see at a show.

I don't know why it gets so little coverage on RMWeb. Perhaps O gauge modellers spend more time modelling and less on the internet!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I don't know why it gets so little coverage on RMWeb. Perhaps O gauge modellers spend more time modelling and less on the internet!

I was saying to Dave that I hadn't even heard of the show until I went along for a day about 10 years ago with Dave and one or two other pals.

It still seems very much under the radar, and yet when I walked through the door on saturday it looked bigger than Warley. Perhaps 

because it's exclusively 7mm, and more focused on trade than layouts, it doesn't get discussed as much?

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Dava said:

This thread on Guildex has been running since July 10 so not true to say there was no information on Rmweb:

It was hardly a hive of activity for one of the biggest and best shows in the exhibition year! I confess I had missed it completely. I think it will probably be up to those of us who knew it was on and well worth visiting to make sure there is a bigger splash of publicity next year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dava said:

This thread on Guildex has been running since July 10 so not true to say there was no information on Rmweb:

But with only 3 replies, the last of which was a fortnight before the show.

I was careful not to say there was no thread. I actually said I couldn't find it. As t-b-g stated, it was hardly a hive of activity & excitement, which would explain why it was buried somewhere within the old threads.

20 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

There were some very nice layouts there; at the risk of only mentioning one I was particularly taken with Love Lane which I thought was a fine piece modelling with some phenomenal buildings and general urban detail.

Many thanks Barry, we had a great weekend, and hope to be turning around any preconceptions of Scale7. Likewise, Sherton Abbas was by far my favourite layout of the show. Beautiful modelling, and operation too which is hugely important in my view.

I have attached a fine video as found on YouTube from the weekend for those that weren't able to attend. I really must make more effort to take further video next time as we have a great deal of stock that didn't get filmed.

For anyone who would like to see the layout we may be at a little show around 50 miles north-west of London in May 2020.

Love Lane 1

Lone Lane 2

JB.

Edited by Scale7JB
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scale7JB said:

Many thanks Barry, we had a great weekend, and hope to be turning around any preconceptions of Scale7. Likewise, Sherton Abbas was by far my favourite layout of the show. Beautiful modelling, and operation too which is hugely important in my view.

I have attached a fine video as found on YouTube from the weekend for those that weren't able to attend. I really must make more effort to take further video next time as we have a great deal of stock that didn't get filmed.

For anyone who would like to see the layout we may be at a little show around 50 miles north-west of London in May 2020.

Love Lane 1

Lone Lane 2

JB.

P.s. The J15 really needs the speed curve on the DCC chip adjusting, so please excuse the 0-60mph starts.

JB.

• Like 1

I went last year for the first time and was most disappointed as there didn't seem to be much there for my interest, how 12 months have changed!

This year I was with the MIOG display promoting our show at Rawtenstall in November (there is a thread here somewhere which will start getting details added soon!), but we weren't the only modern image there this year. It was nice to see Craster and Cromer catering more to my more to my interest. It was also great to talk to all the people that came to look at our stand and interested in what we're trying to achieve.  I really do think that 'Modern Image O Gauge' is actually going somewhere. I am sure I'll be back next year.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2